cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble hearing guitar play over zoom

devicemanager
Listener

Everything was working fine before new computer.  Changed every possible setting without any luck.  Monitor has video and sound built in and connected via usb cable.  When musician plays music it cuts out on my end.  Recorded video plays all sounds properly - any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

Jameswalter
Participant

1. Connect Microphone

An external microphone is optional. The built-in mic on my MacBook Pro actually picks up instrument audio quite well. But if you want to use an external mic, connect it now.
2. Connect Headphones

But don’t put them in/on your ears. For this to work, you’ll have to configure your setup such that the microphone audio is playing back through your speakers. Without headphones, that would certainly create a terrible feedback situation. If you put the headphones on, the delay in the output will make it really difficult to play your instrument.
3. Join the Zoom Meeting & Mute Your Mic

Since you’ll be sharing your microphone audio and bypassing the normal microphone audio channel, you’ll need to mute yourself in Zoom.

4. Set Computer Volume to Mid-level

Make sure your computer system volume is set somewhere around mid-level or above. If you have it muted or turned all the way down, this setup will not work.
5. Open Quicktime Player & Select a New Audio Recording

We’ll use Quicktime Player to monitor (or passthrough) the mic audio to the speakers. Open Quicktime Player and, in the application menu, select File -> New Audio Recording. You should see the Audio Recording window open up. You don’t need to record yourself for this to work, but you can if you want to.

Check all these steps,
John

devicemanager
Listener

Seems to record me fine.  Other zoom members can not hear me.  Any other ideas?  Im using a Dell Monitor with built in webcam and speakers model P2418HZm - driver show us as echo cancelling speakerphone.  I consider myself highly technical and this worked on my Windows 7 workstation.  I worked out some bugs about hearing other playing music but they can not hear me.  Recordings on both ends play fine and capture sound as they should.

gaalfred
Listener

We usually have this problem after a Zoom version update. They reset our settings to defaults and we have to change them back. We have it that the piano or phone or other computer playing accompaniment cuts in and out or is not heard at all.  If you click on the green shield in the upper right corner of your screen, then on the gear icon to get to settings, then on "audio", then "audio profile", then uncheck "auto" and check "Low." This will allow the "background" of the piano or guitar to be heard by all the participants. Good luck.