cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guests could not choose breakout room

SCSCatalina
Listener

Last night we hosted a Zoom Meeting. I set up breakout rooms and chose the Allow Guests to Choose Breakout Room feature. We had four breakout rooms. When I Opened All Rooms, the only people that could choose their own rooms were co-hosts. What a disaster.

Not ideal, but I made each participant a co-host and then they were able to choose their breakout rooms.

Can you help me understand what happened? I remember the time when not everyone had the most up to date Zoom and they couldn't choose. They didn't even get a pop-up window inviting them to choose a room. They had to go down to breakout rooms, and only after I made them co-hosts could they change their room.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi Sarah, 

You are completely correct. I would have to troubleshoot this as a one-off. If you would like to raise a support ticket and provide me with the ticket number I can look into this for you. I would need the meeting ID of the meeting in question to check on the backend what might have caused this issue. We do not wish for our customers to put personal information on this page since it is so public. If you would like to go that route, I would be happy to check on this for you. 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

View solution in original post

SCSCatalina
Listener

Thanks. Made a ticket.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

YaBoiB

Hello @SCSCatalina

I am not sure why this happened but it could have been due to a version issue. Breakout rooms functionality is contingent on many release versions as Zoom has added more and more functionality. 

I would say moving forward that you enable the "Require users to update the client" on your account. 

This is in the account settings under admin options. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 2.30.01 PM.png

 If you enable this and lock it then no one can change it and your participants will be prompted to update to the minimum version that you require. I have linked below the minimum version that I think you should start with, but this is your decision and you can choose whatever version that you wish to be your minimum. 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206476313-Managing-breakout-rooms#:~:text=Viewing%20activi...

Please let me know if this is helpful for you. 

Thanks, 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

SCSCatalina
Listener

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your email. That is a good idea to make participants have the most up to date update. I appreciate your trouble shooting, but with almost 40 people on the Zoom and not one of them could switch rooms on their own except the co-hosts, it seems a little unlikely that all the others had a different version than me. And, why when I made everyone co-host did it suddenly work?

Thanks, Sarah

YaBoiB

Hi Sarah, 

You are completely correct. I would have to troubleshoot this as a one-off. If you would like to raise a support ticket and provide me with the ticket number I can look into this for you. I would need the meeting ID of the meeting in question to check on the backend what might have caused this issue. We do not wish for our customers to put personal information on this page since it is so public. If you would like to go that route, I would be happy to check on this for you. 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

SCSCatalina
Listener

Thanks. Made a ticket.