cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green box appears around a participant that was muted by host

OliverSiemens02
Listener

Does any one know if this is a toggleable setting for this feature, or does anyone know why this happens in the first place? 

The issue: I host meetings pretty regularly and one of the features that I use very regularly is muting people when they don't realize that they aren't muted (especially when a speaker is talking). Every time I mute a participant, however, they are briefly spotlighted by that green box and they replace the speaker view (even if the now muted participant wasn't making any noise on their screen beforehand.) This can be distracting for everyone else paying attention to the person who actually was speaking because they are replaced for a few seconds by a random screen that was muted.

Is there a solution or setting for this yet??? Will there be a solution or setting in the future??? Let me know if anyone else has experienced this issue. I have not seen a post explaining this problem in the community as of yet.

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolo_dp
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

Hi @OliverSiemens02

As the meeting host, you can decide to use the "Spotlight" option: Spotlight video puts up to 9 participants as the primary active speakers for all participants, and participants will only see these speakers. 

Here you can find more info: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362653-Spotlighting-participants-videos

Hope this helps!

idezotl
Listener

I agree with this and would like a solution. At times during our zoom meetings we have question and answer, so spotlighting the conductor or the commenters is not feasible. 

Also, we've been using Zoom since the beginning of the pandemic in our area. I think this is a newer issue. IE: this hasn't always been the behavior. 

AnthonyG83
Listener

We have observed the same behavior. Any updates?

YogaJo
Listener

I experienced this problem for the first time after 2 years of using zoom with no issues like this. Perhaps the intruding speaker's volume is too high?