cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting disconnected and reconnected from Zoom meeting every couple minutes

Sportz
Listener

Today I was interviewing for a very important position and I kept getting disconnected from Zoom. At the beginning of the interview day, all of the applicants (about 20 or so) were in one big meeting room and then we were individually moved to breakout rooms for one-on-one interviews. Within the very first couple minutes of my interview, my Zoom client was disconnecting from the meeting and automatically reconnecting about 4 seconds later. This happened about 4 times. Then the 5th time, I got disconnected and had to reconnect manually. Then the 6th time, my Zoom client began to not respond and I had to end the application with Task Manager. At this point. I transitioned from the computer I was using to my laptop and everything was seamless.

I want to know why the computer I was initially using was having these troubles and what I can do to fix this problem. I have 15 more similar interviews over the next 2 months (with one such interview tomorrow). 

Right now, I am in a Zoom meeting between the computer that is having problems and the laptop. And, just like before, the computer is constantly disconnecting and reconnecting to the Zoom call.

Other additional (maybe pertinent information):

-I am using a wired connection for both the computer that is having trouble and the laptop that isn't having trouble. At no point during any of my disconnect/reconnect episodes have I lost internet connection. My internet connection is entirely stable. I get 800 Mbps download and 800 Mbps upload per Speedtest.

-I am running the same version of Zoom (v5.12.8) on both computers.

-The computer having issues is running Windows 11. The laptop without issues is running Windows 10.

-Additional PC specs of the computer having issues: i7-13700k CPU, GTX 3080 GPU, 64GB DDR5-6000 MHz RAM, can provide additional specs on request

-The computer I am having issues with is using Elgato Facecam 1080p60 True Full HD Webcam (for camera), Amazon Basics USB Plug-n-Play Computer Speakers (for speakers), Logitech for Creators Blue Yeti Microphone (for microphone). The laptop without issues is using all of the onboard audio and video devices embedded within the laptop but when I plug in the microphone, webcam, and speakers into the laptop, I am not having any Zoom issues with the laptop.

Basically, all of my issues are only occurring on this one device (the desktop) and are not occurring on my laptop. The only real difference I see is that the desktop is running Windows 11 while the laptop is running Windows 10. 

For the last hour, I have been playing with all of the Zoom settings and not having any success in fixing this issue. I have alternated between HD video enabled and HD video disabled; I have gone through all of the video rendering methods; and I have gone through all of the video rendering post processing options. I am completely stumped on what is causing this issue and how to fix it. Advice would be appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi spotz,

maybe there are programs running on the desktop that are taking a lot of resources and causing problems running zoom meetings.  the solution may be to close some of these programs consuming a lot of resources.

a few more things to look at:

1.  windows 11, is it version 22h2?

2.  ctrl+alt+delete select task manager on windows desktop, check cpu and memory usage while on zoom meeting with your laptop.  are there programs taking a lot of cpu or memory?  can these programs be closed?

3.  meeting settings (upper left of meeting screen (green shield), select gear icon,

overall - look at cpu and memory usage by zoom and overall. 

bandwidth - look at send and receive

audio - send and receive - look at latency, jitter, and packet loss

video - send and receive - look at latency, jitter, packet loss, resolution and frames per second.

other possibilities include a network issue such as desktop network interface card, an ethernet cable connecting the desktop to the ethernet switch and a bad port on the ethernet switch.

thanks, eliot

Hi Eliot. Thanks for getting back to me.

I am running Windows 11 Pro 22H2. My CPU usage never goes above 10-15%. My RAM usage never goes above 6GB (I have 64GB). Per the "Statistics" tab in Zoom settings, Zoom is using 0% of my CPU and about 400MB of my RAM. Bandwidth is about 1150 kb/s (send) and 130 kb/s (receive) at the moment. Not seeing any significant latency and no jitter or packet loss whatsoever.

I don't see how it can possibly be a network issue. When I get disconnected from the Zoom call, I do not get disconnected from anything else. If I'm online on Steam, I remain online despite getting disconnected on Zoom. If I'm watching a live stream on Twitch, the video remains playing despite getting disconnected on Zoom. On my Windows taskbar, I never see any changes in my network--I remain connected the entire time despite getting disconnected from Zoom.

Nevertheless, even though I am quite convinced this isn't a network issue, I just tried another ethernet cable and I still got disconnected. I just tried another ethernet port and I still got disconnected. I also connected to the internet wirelessly (my motherboard has wifi capabilities) and I still got  disconnected. 

What could possibly be the problem? I am honestly stumped. (Sorry I accidentally posted this twice.).

Sportz
Listener

Hi Eliot. Thanks for getting back to me.

I am running Windows 11 Pro 22H2. My CPU usage never goes above 10-15%. My RAM usage never goes above 6GB (I have 64GB). Per the "Statistics" tab in Zoom settings, Zoom is using 0% of my CPU and about 400MB of my RAM. Bandwidth is about 1150 kb/s (send) and 130 kb/s (receive) at the moment. Not seeing any significant latency and no jitter or packet loss whatsoever.

I don't see how it can possibly be a network issue. When I get disconnected from the Zoom call, I do not get disconnected from anything else. If I'm online on Steam, I remain online despite getting disconnected on Zoom. If I'm watching a live stream on Twitch, the video remains playing despite getting disconnected on Zoom. On my Windows taskbar, I never see any changes in my network--I remain connected the entire time despite getting disconnected from Zoom.

Nevertheless, even though I am quite convinced this isn't a network issue, I just tried another ethernet cable and I still got disconnected. I just tried another ethernet port and I still got disconnected. I also connected to the internet wirelessly (my motherboard has wifi capabilities) and I still got  disconnected. 

Eliot

probably not a resource issue.  

grasping at straws, perhaps some other program such as steam or twitch is causing the issues.  try closing both and see if it helps.

i am stumped.

sorry,  eliot

I wasn't running them initially when the disconnecting/reconnecting issues were occurring. I just started running them recently in my recent tests to see if I was disconnecting from anything else when I was getting disconnected from Zoom. And I do not get disconnected from them like I do with Zoom. I do not lose internet connection whatsoever during these episodes. I, too, am stumped. Very frustrating. 

Sportz
Listener

I've done some additional things to try and figure out what the issue is / how to fix it, but I'm not having any success. Here are all the things I have tried:

-I have reinstalled Zoom

-I have run Zoom in Windows 8 compatibility mode

-I have a 4 monitor setup. I've run Zoom with just monitor A plugged in, just monitor B plugged in, just monitor C plugged in, just monitor D plugged, just monitors A and B plugged in, just monitors A and C plugged in, just monitors A and D plugged in, just monitors B and C plugged in, just monitor B and D plugged in, just monitors C and D plugged in, just A B C plugged in, just A B D plugged in, just B C D plugged in.

-I have tried every combination of Zoom video settings (HD on or off, optimize video quality with de-noise checked and unchecked, use hardware acceleration for video processing checked and unchecked, use hardware acceleration for receiving video checked and unchecked, use hardware acceleration for sending video checked and unchecked, video rendering method auto/d3d11 flipped/d3d11/d3d9/GDI, video rendering post processing auto/enable/disable, video capturing method audio/direct show/media foundation). This took hours to go through each combination individually as there are hundreds of combinations.

-I have updated the software associated with my microphone and camera.

-I have updated the firmware for my microphone and camera.

-I have opened a Zoom meeting with just camera plugged in (speakers and microphone unplugged), just speakers plugged in (camera and microphone unplugged), just microphone plugged in (speakers and camera unplugged), camera and speakers plugged in (microphone unplugged), camera and microphone plugged in (speakers unplugged), speakers and microphone plugged in (camera unplugged).

-I have plugged my camera, speakers, and microphone into every combination of my 8 USB 3.0 ports that my motherboard offers on the rear panel.

-I have updated to the latest NVIDIA graphics drivers

-I have right-clicked on Zoom and set it to run as an administrator

Johnharper
Listener

If you are experiencing any issue(s) with latency, frozen screen, poor quality audio, or meetings getting disconnected during Zoom calls, the top two things you can check are: Make sure you are running the latest version of the Zoom app. It typically updates a few times a month.

Hope this helps,
John

Hi John. Thanks for your response. I am currently running the latest version of Zoom (5.12.8) and continue to have these issues. I feel like I've tried everything and I can neither figure out what is causing the issue nor how to fix it.

Eliot

hi sportz,

office hours global and after hours has some very smart a/v professionals who volunteer their time.  they use zoom to broadcast in hd.  from 7am pacific to 8 am, you can ask any technical questions.  after hours permits you to work with one or more of these a/v professionals.  the a/v professional are from all over the world.  there are no fees.  please see:

What is Office Hours Global?

thanks,  eliot

dandler
Listener

Hello, I have encountered the very same problem as Sportz. It started happening 3 days ago, and it happened with 4 different meetings. It had never happened before. My computer is a MacBook Air under MacOS 10.14 (Mojave). I did try to turn off almost all other software, but there was no improvement. The interruptions are very regular, which suggests that my computer is not at fault. Right now I have solved the problem by going thru my Android smartphone. But it's much less convenient, for many obvious reasons. Any suggestion out there ? Thanks.

I have a 2019 Intel MacBook Pro, 32Gb of Ram and am having the same problems. My internet connection, upload/download speeds are fine. My Zoom logs out and logs back in very rhythmically. Now, this did not start occurring until I updated to Sonoma.

Navs
Listener

I, too, am facing the exact same problem. It happens on my laptop and accessing zoom through web browser. However, the same meeting, if connected through my Android phone, there is not issue observed. Please help.

gwmonti
Listener

I have a 2019 Intel Mac with 32Gb of RAM. Am having the same problem. Zoom is logging off & back on very rhythmically. My internet connection + upload/download speeds are fine. It started when installing op sys upgrade to Sonoma. I am guessing this is a Zoom issue.

v-2nran
Listener

We are also experiencing similar issues for almost a month now and haven't been able to isolate.