cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exit app when I close the window

Peppermint
Attendee
Spoiler

I've just noticed that when I close the Zoom app (i.e. close the window) it doesn't stop the app.  Instead it minimises the app so it's still running in the background.   You have to additionally right-click the icon to close the app.  How can I change the default setting so that when I close Zoom, it stops the app altogether?  I see an option to 'Start Zoom when I start Windows' (which is unchecked) and 'When closed, minimise window to the notification area'. I can't find an option to say that I don't want Zoom running in the background.   Is this a change they made recently?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @Peppermint @mgstauff @user12345 @juliusdc apologies if this isn't the intended user experience you'd like, however, this is by design according to the KB on Minimizing and exiting Zoom. In the meantime, suggest submitting feedback to https://zoom.us/feed, plus I will share this feedback with our internal teams. Thanks!  

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

ZoomTestKitchen
Community Champion | Customer

As long as the When closed, minimise window to the notification area is unchecked, it should longer behave the way you have described. 

Jeff Widgren

#ZoomTestKitchen

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen

Peppermint
Attendee

Hi,

It doesn't matter whether I tick the 'When' or not, Zoom always minimises rather than completely stopping.  Perhaps that's just the way it is now? 

Thanks again,

Jess

ZoomTestKitchen

I have learned more during testing...

This option does not control whether Zoom is going to continue to run or not, it actually controls how it is going to display while still running.

1. Unchecked - It's going to show on the Task Bar and look like an open application.
2. Checked - It will only show a small Zoom icon in the Notification Area (by the clock in the bottom-right corner).

I did find out why I initially thought differently. In the last month or so, I have changed the way I use Zoom. As a producer and freelancer, I find myself using multiple Zoom accounts, along with the release of Zoom Events and sign-on requirements.

I often found myself clicking on a link to join a meeting and arriving as an account that I didn't intend on being upon arrival. My resolve to this issue was I stopped telling the Zoom client app to "Keep me signed in", therefore forcing me to login with the credentials I desired each time I join a Zoom meeting.

And at the end of a meeting I leave the meeting, sign-out, then close the Zoom app. The result of this process does in fact close the Zoom application, when I close the Zoom window.

I hope this helps. This new process that I use has saved me a lot of embarrassment, logging off, and logging back on.

Jeff Widgren
#ZoomTestKitchen

@ZoomTestKitchen

zero likes on that answer

tamarindmonkey
Attendee

Same issue here. There is no option to completely close zoom unless you either right click on the taskbar item or the system tray icon and explicitly tell Zoom to exit.
Wasn't this one of the most irritating user experience issues with Skype? After all, look at all the happy comments here: https://www.ghacks.net/2019/02/08/why-is-quitting-skype-so-difficult-on-windows-10/
Why have Zoom developers decided that the only option to close zoom under windows has to be a two step ordeal?
Aside from preying on most users to be unaware that Zoom is forever running in the background on their windows system in the hopes of additional telemetry data collection, I see no effort made by developers to allow users to close zoom by just hitting the X or alt+f4. No option exists for a one click closure. Zoom has designed the interface so that a user can't even close Zoom from the user menu.
Closed means closed. Not running in the background, not running as a service. Nothing running at all.

Agree that it is infuriating to have a two-step process, which also prevents you from staying signed in, so starting AND ending requires two steps. I have spent way too much time opening Task Manager on Windows trying to end Zoom running as a background process, gobbling up memory and slowing down my machine. 

Rosaluna
Listener

It's "amazing" to see that we even have to talk about this topic! I assume that there is still no real solution for the Android app to have the app closed without running in the background (without needed to sign out and sign in each time)?

They abuse of our hardware resources. They think that the only app running in the pc/phone is the app they develop. 

ZoomTestKitchen

Although I'm an iPhone user, I believe there is a feature on Android called "Adaptive Battery" that help manage background applications and their resource consumption. Here's an article that talks about the benefits and how to configure it.

https://www.androidauthority.com/stop-android-background-apps-664842/

@ZoomTestKitchen

juliusdc
Listener

I suppose some marketing genius came up with this to keep zoom on your screen to make it more accessible than its competitors and therefore make it more competitive. However, to even deny the option to turn this annoying feature off feels like a slap in the face as a costumer, that it actually causes me to consider abandoning Zoom for MS Teams definitively. Maybe treat your customers as adults and actually add value to your service if you want to keep them ffs 

mgstauff
Listener

@Anonymous - please fix this!!! It's not at all expected that an app should keep running when you intend to close it via the app window's "X" button, or via alt-F4. You're abusing the user's expectations.
I use my machine for VR dev and anything that keeps running in the background is a drain.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @Peppermint @mgstauff @user12345 @juliusdc apologies if this isn't the intended user experience you'd like, however, this is by design according to the KB on Minimizing and exiting Zoom. In the meantime, suggest submitting feedback to https://zoom.us/feed, plus I will share this feedback with our internal teams. Thanks!  

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!