cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Even out the sound levels when some participants are very loud and some very low ?

skz0
Listener

In Zoom sessions some participants are much louder than others and I have to constantly fiddle with the volume level whenever a different person speaks. Is there a  setting that equalizes or smooths out disparate sound levels?  

5 REPLIES 5

chrismenard7
Community Champion | Customer

Hello. I love this question, and like you, I have to deal with it a lot. The issue isn't us. It is the other Zoom users in the meeting. Zoom has something called an Audio Profile. It is in Setting, and it is set on Auto. That means it is automatically adjusting noise suppression. 

I encourage users to wear a headset with a mic for the best audio quality and meeting experience. One person echoing can ruin a meeting. I usually see the issue you are discussing when users are on a laptop and using the laptop's mic and speakers. So, there isn't a lot you can do about this except ask users to test their speaker and mic before a meeting.  If they are in a noisy environment, change their Audio Profile to Medium or even High. 

Steps to get to Audio Profile and Test Mic and Speakers (Screenshot attached)

1. Start the desktop app.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Click Audio
  4. The Audio Profile is below Speaker and Mic

I hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you need.

skz0
Listener

Thanks - I'll try that. But what can we do for the too-loud ones?  Those are the ones I'm constantly reaching to turn down when they blast me - and it's their voices, not background or environment noise. Everyone is in a quiet environment so it's just their voices that are different, whether on headsets or not. But I can't leave  my volume down for them because there is one that is very low-level that I need to reach to turn the sound UP for)

So - do we need to take a moment at the beginning of the zoom and everyone set their audio profile to the same level? 

(See? We really could use a "level out the sound" setting)

-- and thanks very much for your help and your quick response --

chrismenard7

By chance, are these co-workers? If yes, I would meet with them and tell them what you are trying to do - level out the audio of the meeting speakers. Possibly see if the loud ones can lower their volume. The one that speaks softly maybe ask that user to raise their volume. There isn't a lot you can do on your end that you aren't already doing.  Maybe, Automatically adjust the microphone volume is turned off. I attached a screenshot with it turned on. If it is on, tell the loud talkers to uncheck it, lower their volume, and Test Mic. That is about all you can do without changing your speaker volume up and down based on the person speaking. Which I know is a hassle. 

Hey, I'm having the same problems as OP.  I cannot have individual conversations with the louder people - we don't have that kind of relationship.  Is there an app or extension I can use to eq people?  Really the volume is fine for 80% of people but the other 20% are so loud it's painful.

skz0
Listener

I agree - we need something from Zoom on this. I zoom with people who are not co-workers -- for classes and critique sessions. They are often not very experienced users or meeting leaders, and do not want to spend time in class or critique fiddling with settings, especially when the problem people don't understand they are problems. 

That's why it would be great to have an 'even the sound levels' setting on Zoom. 

Our hearing is precious and loud decibel levels can damage it.