cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error code 401

fatchiny
Listener

A few days a go I bought a new laptop and whenever I try and join a zoom meeting, it gives me an error stating

"Unauthorized

Sorry, your session was expired. Please refresh the page or login again, 

401" 

But when I try joining the same call with the same account on a different computer it works fine. I tried to google the problem and I tired to flush my DNS, logging off and back on, deleting zoom, clearing cache, deleting history but nothing seemed to fix the problem. 

Is there anything else I can do to fix this problem? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is the response I received from Zoom Support for the user who was trying to use Firefox to open a Zoom meeting in Canvas.

Val

I was able to engage with our engineering team, and they advised the following:

Browsers increase security settings to provide users with more control over their privacy settings while navigating the web. These security settings also prevent tools nested within another tool (e.g., Zoom in Canvas) from validating user data required for the nested tool to function correctly.
For Firefox, Zoom should be added as an exception to the third-party browser cookie blocking security settings to resolve this issue.

Firefox: Exempt Canvas and integrated tools from Enhanced Tracking Protection

1. Log in to Canvas

Click the Shield icon located to the left of the URL address bar

Locate the "Enhanced Tracking Protection is ON for this site" message

Toggle the switch OFF for Enhanced Tracking Protection

1. The message should change to "Enhanced Tracking Protection is OFF for this site."
  2. Reload the page if needed

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @fatchiny, are you perhaps using canvas and receiving this error? 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

One of our instructors receives this error message when she tries to start a Zoom meeting that she created inside Canvas. She *is* able to start the same meeting from the Zoom web portal.

We discovered today that she does not have this problem using Chrome, but does have this problem using Firefox.

esirges
Listener

I'm getting the exact same problem, and yes, I'm accessing the page through Canvas. I've tried copy-pasting the meeting ID directly into the Zoom app, but that method requires a password, which I don't have. Accessing the link from the same Canvas page on the same account using a different device (Android 12) works just fine, but my laptop (Windows 10) encounters the error.

Are you signed in to your Zoom account? Can you see your Zoom Desktop Client? What does it say in your profile? These are just questions that I'm posing because I'm trying to figure out a similar issue.

One of our instructors receives this error message when she tries to start a Zoom meeting that she created inside Canvas. She *is* able to start the same meeting from the Zoom web portal. She is signed into her university Zoom account in Zoom desktop client, and the client is up to date.

We discovered today that she does not have this problem using Chrome, but does have this problem using Firefox.

NikoAri
Listener

I have the same issue, but I use Brave. I can open direct links, but when i try to open the ones that are in my university site, it won't open, it just says "Unauthorized Sorry, your session was expired. Please refresh the page or login again"
I've tried everything but nothing works.

turn off the Brave Shield

click on lion on the right of the address bar

chschschs
Listener

Does it happen when people are not signed into their Zoom accounts? Does it happen when using Firefox?

Yes -- only Firefox. Not chrome. In our instance the user *is* signed into the university Zoom account.

dixonchick707
Listener

I'm having the same problem on all my Zoom accounts.  I can't get in to any of them - not work or personal.

Heather7
Listener

I have the 401 problem on 2 Zoom accounts, on 2 browsers (Firefox and Chrome), on 2 different computers.

The irony is that others who cannot login cannot post about it here.  I can only post here because I have a private Zoom account where I login through Google.

One thing I noticed on the Zoom login page - it will not accept uppercase letters (I tried it in the account name and they appear as lowercase) and we need an uppercase letter in our password.

I'm facing the same problem too. I have been using zoom since last year and have never had any problems signing in via Chrome. But 2 days ago, i started getting the 401 error message. It's really frustrating because I rely on zoom fully to conduct my online class. 

jaynejones
Listener

I have just started having the same problem this morning. I'm also using Chrome.

Oonasong
Listener

As of November 11, I also began receiving the 401 error code when attempting to sign in via Chrome.  I completely cleaned my cache, Browser and cookies and nothing changed.  I also rely on Zoom for my online classes.  Luckily I was able to access my account through Firefox - however - when signing in via the internal link from this Zoom Community page while on Chrome I had no problem! However - I don't think I can access my meetings from here.

Heather7
Listener

Could other people please try to sign in to Zoom and see if the sign-in page accepts uppercase letters? 

Although I don't have uppercase letters in my email address, I have tried to type uppercase letters there and it won't accept them as uppercase - they are shown as lowercase.  If the sign in page won't accept uppercase letters than our passwords, which need to contain an uppercase letter, will not be acceptable.

And how do we get anyone from Zoom to address this issue?

CMR
Listener

Hi; using a workaround I just sent this to Zoom support: 

Hi, problems signing in. This seems a known issue that others are having - see below that I will post on this Community thread. https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/Error-code-401/td-p/10629

For now, I found a (poor) workaround - "forgot password" and Zoom's emailed link to reset password (pw requirements the same, need upper and lower case). Changed PW, got in. Thought I was set - signed out and in, but it only worked ONCE...2nd sign out and attempt to sign in brought the same "error code 401" that I started seeing today 11/14.

First on laptop while my desktop still was OK, but soon it started on desktop too. Both running Win 10 and Chrome. I tried clearing all cookies, cache, restart etc. Ran all cleaning and scanning utilities I have, but the problem still exists. 

I'm a paid Zoom user since early 2020. Hope you can help -thank you!

FYI - I mention upper/lower case password requirements in my request as someone posted in Community that it was an issue for them when signing in. They said the sign in page wasn't accepting typed upper case letters, which are required in PWs. Thanks

I, too, tried the reset password 'solution' for my personal Zoom and it worked only once.

The Zoom account I use to run meetings is for a company.  I have access to the Zoom account but not to the email (someone else in the company receives it)  so I cannot use the change password route to access that account every time I want in.

It is frustrating that multiple people are having this problem and Zoom has not fixed it.

CMR
Listener

Agreed Heather - very frustrating. Zoom support replied to ask me for more detail, some of which I'd already supplied, and suggested I try another browser (which I haven't but I know others have) and try signing in after opening an Incognito Window. I just replied to them that the Incognito Window made no difference and sent a screen capture of the 401 error I see on the sign in screen. I'm sorry the email reset isn't an option for you! 

Heather7
Listener

I am now able to get into my Zoom accounts.  I am not sure what happened.  I signed into here,  and was surprised to be able to sign in with one of my accounts that has been showing the 401 error.  While still logged into here I tried logging in via the regular Zoom sign in to access meetings, and the system knew I was already logged in so let me in to access the meeting bookings.  That is the first time in 4 days that I have had access to the meetings.  At this time the normal sign in is working on both my browsers (Chrome and Firefox).  I hope it lasts!  And I hope everyone else can sign in without 401 Errors, too!

jaynejones1
Listener

Just started to work for me too.  Can log in to Zoom as normal. Good luck everyone.

bneilse33
Listener

I'm additionally on a fundamental plan. In Settings → Meeting → In assembly (Advanced) store, I get the choice to toggle on/off "Video filters" however I cannot see the "Add custom filters" choice.

godlo
Listener

Be aware that you are logging in by https://zoom.us/signin and not from https://zoom.us/Signin

If you search zoom in Google you can see that is caching the Signin (that give that 401 error) page.

Thank you so much @godlo!!!!! The https://zoom.us/Signin is the culprit. Using the first one allows me to at least get into my account. Thank you! 

Update!!!!
Once I cleared my cache this also fixed my issues with starting zoom meetings as well. 

This is the solution! Thank you.

KCSorrelli
Listener

@godlo had the correct answer.

Make sure you are using the correct sign-in portal,  https://zoom.us/signin and not from https://zoom.us/Signin
1.) clear your cache (something about the https://zoom.us/Signin is causing these errors and not allowing you to start your zoom meetings).  

2.) go to http://zoom.us/signin and sign in

3.) now you should be able to log into your account as well as host a zoom call again. 

4.) if you happen to enter the other sign-in with the capital "S", you will need to clear your cache. 

lucyshack
Listener

Thank you guys!! Can't understand half of what you all said--I'm not computer savvy--but changed upper-case S to lower-case s in signin...and it worked! Thanks again

Also having this issue....have tried firefox and chrome, cleared my cache, restarted comp, tried both URLs, tried forgotten password and still no luck.

Anyone any other ideas?

This is the response I received from Zoom Support for the user who was trying to use Firefox to open a Zoom meeting in Canvas.

Val

Browsers increase security settings to provide users with more control over their privacy settings while navigating the web. These security settings also prevent tools nested within another tool (e.g., Zoom in Canvas) from validating user data required for the nested tool to function correctly.
For Firefox, Zoom should be added as an exception to the third-party browser cookie blocking security settings to resolve this issue.

1. Log in to Canvas

1. The message should change to "Enhanced Tracking Protection is OFF for this site."

@valeried wrote:

Val

1. Log in to Canvas

Thanks for sharing this.

This helps!!!!! thank you so much

Thank you so very much.  This worked for me.