cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 100056000 on home network with only one device

jaschwar
Listener

Hi all,

I and several of my coworkers are having issues logging into zoom and starting meetings. We all have similar symptoms to:

1. Our work laptops cannot connect to `<company_subdomain>.zoom.us`
2. We can connect to `<company_subdomain>.zoom.us` from other networks on our laptops
3. We can connect to `<company_subdomain>.zoom.us` from other devices on the **same home network**
4. The error code we receive is 100056000 with no information

5. If we start the meeting from a different network (like tethering via our cellphone) and then switch to the home network, the meeting stays open without error

Troubleshooting steps already tried:
1. Reinstalling Zoom

2. Clearing all cookies from browsers
3. Uninstalling Zoom, removing all app data (using `find / -iname "*zoom.us*"` and deleting all results), restarting computer, then installing from a fresh download

All yield the same result, same error code.

We do not use VPNs and have already disabled anything messing with DNS on our networks. This seems to have started around Nov 7th, 2022.

The issue is present across several macOS platforms, Intel and Apple Silicon

Any help is appreciated, thanks!!

19 REPLIES 19

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @jaschwar

This could be a network issue with your firewall or proxy, or it could be a IdP issue with the Identity provider your organization is using to integrate with Zoom. Please check both and let me know if there is anything that I can do to assist you with this issue. 

Firewall documentation 

SSO/SAML documentation

Thanks, 
Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Thanks for the reply @YaBoiB !

I've checked and everything seems to be in place for those items, but I'll go back over and talk with our security folks to see if they can find anything I can't.

In the meantime, are there any logs that I can enable to get a better understanding of the error? It's pretty generic.

Thanks!

Jacob

YaBoiB

Hello @jaschwar

Unfortunately, the logging that we have is encrypted, so you would need to open up a Support ticket with our Technical Support Reps and then send a problem report from the client. Our Support team will then work with our Engineering team to determine the root cause. There are some logging on your local client under the "AppData" folder that you can look at but I am not sure if these logs will provide you with the full picture of what you are looking for. 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360037195152-Sending-meeting-or-webinar-problem-report-and...

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Submitted the ticket, thanks! (note, we're on macOS so AppData doesn't exist, but I think I can find the correct folder)

As some more updates, we see an issue with connecting to zoom via our browsers sometimes as well. There's definitely some issue with the cookies being sent. When using a private browser or clearing the cookies we can connect to the join url (zoom still won't actually open the meeting, but we do get further)

However, even after clearing all cookies and browsing data, we start seeing the issue crop up again after a day or so.

I've confirmed the behavior with curl, by passing the same cookie as my browser and without passing the cookie.

No cookie, we complete the request as expected

With the cookie, TLS handshake completes but the connection is immediately closed from the remote side

`HTTP/2 stream 1 was not closed cleanly before end of the underlying stream`

I'm not sure these issues are related but the timing is suspicious.

YaBoiB

Hi @jaschwar

I have seen similar issues like yours time and time again. They are usually firewall/proxy related or DNS related. 

The file path for the Zoom folder is /Library/logs/zoom in Mac applications. 

Send me the ticket number directly if you would like to and I can work with the agent on attempting to find a solution to this issue for you. I used to work in Support when I first joined Zoom. I still have a ton of friends/colleagues in that org. 

Thanks, 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

I haven't received an email confirmation after submitting the ticket, would it go to someone else in our company?

Thanks for the path, but there is no directory or file called just `zoom` - only `zoomusinstall.log`

YaBoiB

Hi @jaschwar

If you wish to DM me your email address I can search for the ticket in that direction. 

Log files are only generated if you enable logging. We do not want the public Zoom Meeting client to generate logging and fill up your hard drive. 

If you wish to provide me with your email address (DM only) I can send you a pdf on how to enable logging on a macOS device. 

Then we can replicate the issue, pull logs and sift through the logs to attempt to determine why the meeting client is not connecting properly. 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Hey @YaBoiB  very much appreciated! One snag, I can't seem to find any direct messaging feature on the community page or on your user profile. I'm afraid I'm just missing something obvious...

Did you ever get a fix on this? I'm having the exact same issue and no one at Zoom can help me fix it. I'm like 3 weeks into a support ticket that just has me doing the same stuff over and over and not fixing anything. 

Hi Brandon @YaBoiB ,

I'm hoping you can help provide some guidance here — I have a very similar issue where my partner cannot login to Zoom on her computer when it's on our home Wifi network. Using other networks it functions fine. On our network she sees "You are unable to connect to Zoom. Please check your network connection and try again." (this is from the zoom.us app)

What's odd is that I can use Zoom perfectly fine on the same network, using my own computer.

I tried going to the network settings (she's using a Mac) and removing Google's DNS servers which I had custom configured some time ago. This didn't change the issue.

I'm fairly tech-savvy and can configure our router, but I'm not sure where to look. Can you help? Thank you!

Jesse

YaBoiB

Hello @frenchietest

That is a strange coincidence. Have you checked your partners privacy and security settings to ensure that Zoom is "allowed" to operate on the Mac? I would look at the "full disk access" inside the privacy and security settings, although that really doesn't answer why she can log on with other networks. Does she have maybe a pop-up blocker on that machine, or some other kind of firewall or proxy software that is not allowing *.zoom.us traffic to reach her machine on that network? If that does not work, or if you have already checked that, I would say that it would be important for us to work on this using a support ticket so that we can dive into her data and find out where the block is coming from, but to me, this looks like a block somewhere. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

I submitted a ticket on April 28th and I finally closed it on August 2nd. After months of dealing with Zoom Customer Service, they were unable to ever do anything or provide me any information on what was happening. Half the time they didn't actually answer my questions, it was just a copy-and-paste of the same email over and over - the misspelled words were all the same which gave away the copy-and-paste part. They had me do the same things over and over, send them files (the entire time using a whole lot of jargon that I struggled with) and I felt like I was getting the runaround. I have worked in Customer Service before, and if we had tickets open for a long time they had to have some form of communication within a certain time frame or we'd get docked on our work, I felt like that was the reason I kept doing the same things over and over with no actual help from Zoom. So  I tried one of the comments on here about trying a VPN, and that's literally the only way I can connect to Zoom on my iMac. My MacBook Air is on the same network (hell same desk) and works fine as does every other Apple device in my home, but my iMac is the computer I need for Zoom. Zoom was unable to provide me any actual workable solution for it so this was the only option I had. I hate it, but it's all I can do. I use the free version of ProtonVPN, and it's fine, not great, but I need to access Zoom, and it's the only way. Best wishes on fixing the error on your wife's computer. Zoom will likely be of zero help.

Jameswalter
Participant

"The new app will be available for installation through the Google Play Store, a practice that started last year, as well as being available to install from the web directly as is offered by many other PWAs."

Regards,
James

heatherace
Listener

I have this exact same issue that @jaschwar did such an incredible job detailing. I have worked with Mac/Apple for months on this and all roads lead back to Zoom who has been absolutely NO HELP in resolving this now growing issue with error code 100056000. Zoom please help!

annie_marieg
Listener

Did anyone ever get any assistance with this? I've been having the same issue for months. My MacBookAir with M2 connects fine. My iMac with Intel gives me the 100056000 error, which searching tells me is an issue with Chrome Books, but clearly is not my issue. I've got a support ticket set up and I've been going back and forth with zoom since the end of April and no one has been able to fix the issue.

Issue has not changed! I can get on Zoom with Safari at least, to cancel my account. I still can't get on Zoom on Google Chrome and have had to use my phone (terrible Zoom experience on Smart phones!). I'm so frustrated. I've sort of given up because when I think about it it burns me up inside. Have convinced my work group to switch to Google Meet...

dgrnsn
Listener

I've been struggling with this issue for a while. The particular symptoms for me were that as soon as I would log into Zoom, the requests to zoom.us would stop getting through, whether through the browser or through the app. Clearing browser cookies would solve the issue in the browser, but I was never able to get the app working properly. I finally tried changing my internet connection. It seems that CenturyLink is the source of the problem for me. I first tried tethering to my phone, which worked, but isn't ideal for video calls. I then tried using a VPN (I used ProtonVPN). With the VPN on, Zoom works fine. I tried reporting this issue to CenturyLink, but the tech pointed the finger back at Zoom, so I guess I just have to use a VPN to get Zoom working here.

tldr; Try using a VPN

My struggle is that I have multiple devices connected to the same Centurylink connection, and only one device doesn't work. Four of them are accessible in the same office. Of course, it's the one that I need to be able to do my job and hold a Zoom meeting accurately, but I don't understand how Centurylink is the issue if it's just one computer that won't work. So what you're saying makes sense but also doesn't, haha.

I don't get it either. It is technically possible to filter out a particular type of connection for a particular device like that but *why*? All I really know is that I was able to get it working by connecting through a VPN. I don't love the solution but at least I can do what I need to do now.