cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equipment and Audo issue

SharynG
Listener

While I am Host using a desk top computer. My participant I am interviewing is using a mobile phone in another country.

I am not able to hear the participant on my side. They are not muted. When the sound does come through, the participant sounds like they are gargling. Participant says they received intermittent speech from myself.

Must we both be using a phone and or desk top computer to conduct a successful interview meeting?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

theirongiant
Listener

Your participant needs to find a place where they can connect to Wi-Fi from their mobile phone, or find a place with a stronger signal.  Cellular is very high latency and may drop packets (audio and video) if the signal is very weak.  A call with someone on the other side of the planet can add up to 500-1000ms of latency.  Zoom tries to compensate for excessive latency by dropping data.  

Your description of the speech as "Gargling" is a sign of severe audio data loss.

Both parties can be on mobile phones as long as they both have fast, reliable Internet service.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

theirongiant
Listener

Your participant needs to find a place where they can connect to Wi-Fi from their mobile phone, or find a place with a stronger signal.  Cellular is very high latency and may drop packets (audio and video) if the signal is very weak.  A call with someone on the other side of the planet can add up to 500-1000ms of latency.  Zoom tries to compensate for excessive latency by dropping data.  

Your description of the speech as "Gargling" is a sign of severe audio data loss.

Both parties can be on mobile phones as long as they both have fast, reliable Internet service.

SharynG
Listener

Please provide information  regarding "supported USB device for Zoom" - Thank you.