cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do all meeting participants get a notification when someone joins the waiting room?

Esprix
Listener

We are using Zoom for back to back interviews, but it's cumbersome to set up separate meetings for each candidate as each member of the committee would have to keep changing rooms after each one.  If we set up one long meeting that will cover multiple interviews, this will work by just telling each candidate what time to log in.

However, if one candidate is not quite finished on time, and/or the next candidate logs in a little early, will the first candidate see a notification with the second candidate's name, saying that they've joined the waiting room?  Or does the host/co-host only get that notification?  If the former, is there a way to turn off that notification to the meeting participants?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Yeah, it gets confusing. Waiting Room notification should only apply to the host. Other notifications, such as the chime when someone enters, should be heard by all participants, if they are enabled. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Bort

Only the host is able to control the Waiting Room and is aware of anyone waiting in that area. Other participants are completely unaware of anyone in the waiting room. 

I've been on so many Zoom meetings as both a host and participant that I can't remember, but I was certain all the meeting participants saw who entered the waiting room.  Unless I'm confusing it with a notification that someone actually enters the meeting itself?

Bort

Yeah, it gets confusing. Waiting Room notification should only apply to the host. Other notifications, such as the chime when someone enters, should be heard by all participants, if they are enabled. 

YaBoiB

Hello @Esprix , 

Host and co-hosts will get notifications of participants joining the waiting room. Please see here. 

Who can admit participants from the waiting room?

Note: If Users not in your account or Users who are not in your account and not part of the allowed list are selected, you can specify who can admit participants that are in the Waiting Room.

• Host and co-hosts only: Only the host and co-hosts can admit participants that are in the Waiting Room.
  • Host, co-hosts, and anyone who bypassed the waiting room (only if host and co-hosts are not present): Only the following people can admit participants that are in the Waiting Room.
    • Host or co-hosts
    • Participants are bypassed the Waiting Room (they can only admit other participants if the host and co-hosts are not in the meeting)

I have been a co-host in some of our organization's meetings and one of my jobs was to allow participants to enter the meeting from the waiting room and mute them if necessary. I would say that promoting your committee members to co-host would be good practice for you in this scenario. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

The concern isn't about who can let attendees into the room, it's that the current candidate being interviewed would see the name of the next candidate to be interviewed, which we want to avoid.

However, if, as stated as above, only the host(s) see the notification, it sounds like this isn't going to be an issue.

YaBoiB

@Esprix  Apologies if I misunderstood the complete scenario. If the solution that @Bort provided to you will work for you, please mark the "Accept as Solution" button. 

If you have any other questions or concerns that we can help you with, please let us know, and we will be happy to assist you. 

B!

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?