cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying time zones of meeting participants

CDWilson3
Listener

After 2 years of international Zoom meetings hosted from Europe, it's clear that the chairs of the meeting don't truly appreciate that while it's mid-afternoon for them, it's 11 pm in Australia or 4 am in California.  (Everyone mentions it at the beginning of the meeting but then they conduct the meeting as if everyone is on European Time.)  It would be fantastic if there was a way to display the local time for each participant next to their name so that everyone on the meeting is able to see the range of time zones and be more conscious of being efficient.  Is there any possibility of adding this feature?  Are there other solutions that would achieve this?  Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

That's an interesting idea! I encourage you to visit our Zoom Feedback form, which is the official way to share any feedback or feature requests with the Zoom team. Thanks!

I submitted the same idea through the feedback forum a while back.  No response from them, but hoping to see something in a future release.

NemanMTX
Attendee

Came here in the hopes to find someone would already have a clever solution/link to an add-in.

The closest thing we've been able to practically implement is a few people put their time zone and offset after their name. (I put the pronunciation of my name in the same space.) It's a pretty poor solution. Zoom already has the ability to string together bits of info to enrich the name string, e.g. with pronouns, so the Zoom end of the problem (implementing the information) is likely not ridiculous. Getting the information isn't as straightforward as one might think.

Off to the feedback form...

Bort

Hi @CDWilson3 & @NemanMTX , 

Just wanted to point out a new enhancement along these lines for meetings. If you have your time zone and location set in your Profile page, participants in meetings can click on your video tile and select View Profile, which shows your location and current time, with your timezone displayed on hover: 

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 15.49.48.png

It isn't most apparent when casually looking at a meeting, but this information can be accessed within a meeting. 

You might also look at Zoom App options, such as Warmly, which allow you to create custom backgrounds with personal information about your role, company, etc. Perhaps the could include an option to show your timezone as part of your info. 

Hope that helps! 

Thanks @Bort! I hadn't noticed that, since I rarely use the View Profile feature with people I know. It's a step in the right direction though! I believe the TZ in one's profile is static, so doesn't reflect current TZ.

I'll check out Warmly, but hopefully this gets built into the application, as it would of course only help people who have the app. That may be disallowed by some companies, and will definitely vary by participant company policies across all meeting participants.

Masa_Akashi
Listener

STRONGLY agree that this simple feature of having the option of displaying your local time beside your name during zoom meeting will add tremendous value. This is not only to foster good business discussion when having multiple participants from different regions, but it's also tremendously impactful from Diversity and Inclusion perspective. 
When you are working from APAC for a global company, it is common to have meetings late at night. Many folks in North America and Europe don't realize this, making it difficult for people in APAC to participate live in zoom meetings, or get blamed for not participating actively, which is understandable if you are joining at midnight after working the whole day.

Zoom team - please implement this feature, it will make the business better and help create a more inclusive environment.