cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display name won't change back

chickymara
Listener

Help! My step daughter used my computer for a zoom and changed the display name to her name. It will not change back in meetings to my name, even though it is my name in my profile. 

I have tried deleting cookies and/or browser history on both Chrome and Safari.

It is fine on my iPad zoom, but will not go back on my MacBook. 

Any ideas? 

11 REPLIES 11

Bri
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @chickymara! Did you attempt to change your display name using the Zoom web portal? https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201363203-Customizing-your-profile

Bri
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

ronzoom
Listener

I have the same problem as chickymara and have hacked quite a bit but the problem persists. Moderator Bri's solution is a question with no nuance at all.
My problem is this: I changed my Displlay Name in the desktop Zoom app (Win 10) for just one meeting where I did not want to expose my real name/display name.  However, ever since then, I jus cannot change it back to what it was and should be. While I am able to change the Display Name in the Profile (web log in), that change does nOT reflect in my desktop app.  Actually, let me correct. I was indeed able to do it ONCE: by uninstalling the app and downloading again (and updated version). I took in the Display name I want (original) but the next time I logged back in, it reverted to the temp one I had used. I just cannot change it! By the way, the Display Name in my mobile Zoom app has the correct name as I want it. But I use my mobile app rarely and that's not my concern here anyway.
FYI, I clean up my cache, etc.  thoroughly every day using Ccleaner and so I doubt there are any "holdovers". I cleaned up my Zoom folders AFTER I uninstalled the app.  Why does this have to be so complicated. Why do we even have to go to the Web version (login, etc) to make changes to the Display name in the app?! It's a like maze and am wondering if it's just indifference or incompetence....

I have the same problem and I just spent 40 minutes chatting with the bot chat and it was no help at all --then I got a real person finally, who said I did not have access to a real person and gave me the same links as the bot did -- even though I said they did not work for me. Then they refused to help me further and sent me here. I am not a big Zoom fan at this moment.

tbl
Listener

Any solution on this?  I have the same problem.

jenblume
Listener

Same problem. I would love a solution to this issue. 

MHL
Listener

Sorry, no solution . . . Just to say that I have had exactly the same problem for a while. A friend borrowed my laptop (MacBook), used it for Zoom meetings, and ever since then her name comes up as the display name, despite my Profile settings, which give the correct display name. Very annoying. Zoom, please help.

HeidiH
Listener

Zoom is rich enough to give us actual customer support -- to man a support desk in India -- instead of making us ask other people with the same problem. I am not a fan of cheap companies with terrible customer service. The owners and top management put themselves and their bank accounts first and the hell with their customers -- they can fend for themselves. What good is a "free" service if it doesn't work? 

I have the same problem with an Ipad, the name has been setup correctly in the profile when I sign in, but if I enter someone else's meeting it defaults to a telephone number. The host and I can change it for one meeting, but when I start another, it reverts back to the telephone number.

This does not happen on my windows computer, so why is the Ipad different??

ellenlfstone
Listener

I'm having the same problem after trying all the trouble-shooting listed above AND calling into the customer support line. Would really like to get this figured out asap. Did anyone else in this thread ever figure it out? I'm not seeing anything...

OMG I figured it out! So the source of the issue is that I have two accounts, which I have to log in and out of depending on my use (business is one account, personal is another). When trying to change my name back, I selected my profile from the app on my computer > then a zoom website tab launches for me to change my profile name. The kicker is that the website was defaulting to the wrong account. Once I logged out of the online web-based account and back in with the one I was strying to change, it fixed the computer app name.

All - if you have 2 accounts I recommend you trying this. Hope it helps!

I have raised a support ticket, as no-one on Zoom support seems to be reading this community forum, and they closed the ticket immediately with this response☹️

Unfortunately, we are unable to respond to your open ticket at this time.

Instead, use our online resources to learn more about using Zoom, find answers to questions, and troubleshoot technical issues.

If you are a part of a corporate account, and need advanced technical support beyond our online resources, please contact your Zoom account administrators.

Thank you for choosing Zoom!

Best Regards,
Zoom Support