cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Any sort of "Suppress Background noise"

djlerman
Listener

How do I turn off any sort of "Suppress Background noise"?

I play an instrument over zoom.  It has been working for years and now when I play a few bars my microphone mutes & the noise is suppressed.  I want to turn this off if it is heard by the microphone I want it to go through.

18 REPLIES 18

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hey, @djlerman

A common problem which the Zoom app has a solution for: Original Sound. Here’s a Zoom Support article with some info which might be a little technical, depending on your experience with Zoom:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115003279466-Using-and-preserving-original-sound-in-a-meet... 

Once you enable Original Sound, Zoom turns off most of the sound conditioning, like background noise suppression, loudness balancing, etc. And if you have a stereo mic, stereo is enabled. Bonus!

If you need some additional guidance/help, let me know. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

I tried this and it didn't work.  

Do you have any other suggestions?

After almost 9 months of dealing with this on an HP Laptop Windows 11 machine, I am now not having any problems.  Be sure that you have the latest version of Zoom. "Original Sound" was replaced with "Original Sound for Musicians".  Depending on your computer, if you have Bang & Olufsen sound, you need to open that app and turn AI Noise Suppression off.

Hello,

I've been using music or instrument on my zoom calls successfully but of late (last few months) since I purchased a new Win11 laptop zoom call disables any music sounds or instruments on a zoom call. I've tried all sorts of sound adjustments but without any success. 

Has Zoom disabled the playing of music on zoom calls ? Is there a definitive workaround for this ?

Thanks

I'm listening in. I tried the Original Sound settings also and the background suppression is more aggressive than in the Optimized option.  You get these chirping noises and if music is playing, even if fed into the sound mix, it sounds like you're underwater, and it cuts out sporadically, then comes back in.  The only setting I found that allows a reasonable amount of room noise and  fed music is the Optimized option, with setting at Low.  Also the online instructions from Zoom say you can disable background suppression.  That is no longer possible in the latest user interface. You can only set it to least (Low).

cleec1
Listener

I am a music teacher and encountered this exact problem.  I have been working with the Zoom development team for the last 8 weeks to try to find a remedy.  In the end, the only solution is a "work around" not a solution. There is a problem with the Intel Smart Audio chip that blocks musical instruments from being heard through Zoom.  My internal mic works with the internal voice recorder, google meet and gotomeeting, but not Zoom. If I use my external Yeti mic and choose it in the Zoom app, musical instruments cannot be heard. In the end, the only way for my instrument to be heard through Zoom while using Windows 11 is to go to Control Panel --> Sound --> Recording --> Microphone Array.  Right click Microphone Array and disable. Then use an external mic.  You cannot just choose the external mic in the Zoom settings.  The Array must be disabled.

This didn't work.  Do you have any other suggestions?
I tried Disabling the Microphone Array and only using my Logitech C922 Pro Webcam. 

I have been doing this consistently for the last 2 years.  Got a new computer and now it doesn't work.

This was the only thing that worked for me and I worked diligently with the development team at zoom for many weeks. I see that you are using a webcam. I use the computer camera, the computer speaker, and only use an external microphone. Can you try disabling the Array Mic, use the computer camera and an external mic? Also, the zoom development team is asking for anyone who has this problem to file a ticket so that they can get data from you (I sent them several recordings for them to analyze).

I tried disabling the Array Mic and using the external mic / camera.

I was on with tech support with DELL for over an hour yesterday and they couldn't figure it out or even understand what the issue was. 

How do I file a ticket with zoom? 

Hi! My issue was with windows 11, specifically that the Array Microphone was blocking the input from Zoom when a musical instrument was played. It did not block the voice.  Are you using windows 11? I am not sure how using a camera with a microphone might change what is happening. Here is a link for you to start your ticket with tech support. Tell them that you are filing with the same issue that is already being researched by the development team. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thank You.

I submitted a ticket

Great. I sent my contact a message to let them know that you would be doing that.  I hope that they can fix your problem.  Apparently, it will need something different from what worked for me. Sorry that my fix didn't work for you.

Every time I submit a ticket the "Spinner" never stops.

This is what I am trying to submit.

Been doing drum rehearsals via zoom since the start of C-19.

It was working for the last few years and then got a new machine and it doesn't anymore.
When I play: The sound (microphone) zeros out or get's really quiet & garbled. They can not hear me.
When they play: The sound (speaker) zeros out for me. They can hear each other but I can not hear them.

I have a DELL Inspiron 16 (5620) and a Logitech 922 Webcam

I am not sure what is happening. It sounds like your internet connection is not working right. I did not have a problem submitting my ticket and they were quick to respond.  You have to have an email address to submit so they can contact you.  If you will send me your email, I will copy what you wrote above and submit for you.

@cleec1 

I am trying to change my OS back to Windows 10.   Hopefully that might work.

djlerman
Listener

This didn't work.  Do you have any other suggestions?
I tried Disabling the Microphone Array and only using my Logitech C922 Pro Webcam. 

I have been doing this consistently for the last 2 years.  Got a new computer and now it doesn't work.

Ray_Harwood

@djlerman  - see private message.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

sryoungokc
Listener

I was having this problem on a Windows 11 Device, Acer Nitro 5. Very frustrating, as all of you have noticed.

I read the hint from cleec1, above that there may be an issue with an Intel Smart Audio Chip. I happened to go to Device Manager, the 'Sound, video and game controllers' section and noticed something called 'Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio'. I disabled this device driver, and the music immediately came back, with no dropouts and sounding better than ever. Cool! I also disabled the "Intel Smart Sound Technology for Bluetooth Audio' for good measure, but maybe I'm just paranoid about 'smart sound technology' at this point.

Anyway, I hope that solution works for some of you.

(for good measure, I enabled then disabled this device a couple of times, sure enough, the sound problem only occurred when this device driver was enabled. (Driver version 1/22/20). I suppose it is possible there is a more up-to-date version of this driver, but I haven't gone to the trouble to verify that.