cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crackling audio

NevinStoltz
Listener

I am a voice actor with an in home studio. I have used zoom for over 2 years for video meeting and such with no sound issues at all. All of a sudden about a month ago, I've started having crackling audio coming through when in zoom meetings. It only happens through zoom, all other audio sounds perfect. 

I'm on 64 bit Windows 10 using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. 

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling zoom as well as my audio drivers and the drivers for the interface. 

Any ideas on what might be causing it and how to fix?

Thank you!

29 REPLIES 29

Loretta1
Listener

I am having the same problem and have been unable to properly lead two meetings - August and September.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @NevinStoltz, assuming you've looked into the How to set up your Focusrite audio interface with Zoom on Windows article on properly setting up the Focusrite audio interface?

I'd also advise if you're using a 3rd party Audio interface to disable any Audio enhancements from Zoom Settings > Audio, such as suppressing background noise and options under 'Music and Professional Audio'. After doing so, see if that helps. If not, I'd also suggest checking all drivers are up-to-date. 

I hope this provides you with some gudience! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

Had zoom for 3 years and no issues. Now I have crackling sound only in zoom. Tried updating drivers and all the usual sound setting hints. It is still happening and making zoom meetings with multi users almost impossible, what is going on please

Nothing changed… 

I have MacBookPro and when I start sharing screen to my students, any audio or video file is played with disturbing cracking sounds. 
when I share the same power point presentation via iPhone evth is good. 
One day zoom works perfectly fine. Another day - it is impossible to have lessons with audio tests for my students. 

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @NevinStoltz and @Loretta1, was my reply helpful? If so, don't forget to click the 'Accept As Solution' button! Thanks!

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

mubdi
Listener

I was having this problem as well -- where Zoom was working fine with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 on a Windows 10/11 system, and then some update introduced an issue.  The solution above didn't help. However, this on the Focusrite site has seemed to fix my issue: I'm getting clicks, pops or distortion using Discord/Zoom/Teamspeak or VoIP app on Windows – Focusri...

I checked those settings and they are as advised, but we are still getting cracking audio.  Changing the advanced audio setting "Signal processing by Windows audio device drivers" back and forth between the Auto, On and Off settings stops the issue for a minute or two.  None of the 3 options solves the issue, but works briefly.  We do need a more durable solution for this. 

Like others, this started a couple of months ago as if a switch had been flipped.  Had no issues for over a year prior to that.

DavidLaurenth
Listener

I have the same problem. I want to connect obs with zoom through a virtual cable but doesn’t work because I get a sound with a crackling sound. I have this problem only with zoom, with google meets or Microsoft teams works well. So, I think that the problem it’s about zoom. Please, help! I need it!

Soham_38
Listener

I too have the same issue but I am using realtek audio drive

Cherpitel
Listener

my issue comes & goes..... using decent audio lavalier USB mic for better quality than built in -- on Mac -- it will be fine then other participants say it starts crackling..... have switched USB ports & it clears ... then returns again.... a pain.... sometimes the mic works for hours.... WHAT IS THE CAUSE ? --- MODERATOR, PLEASE COMMENT, THANK YOU

Dippiedip
Listener

Same issue. Started within last few months. Keep trying to make adjustments and nothing fixes. Also on Mac, bought yeti mic to help - nope! Would love solution!

TimKeenan
Listener

Absolutely same issue. Zoom worked perfectly during lockdown. Since last year crackling on my microphone ONLY when using zoom and zoom always crashing. Teams works great. I'd migrate, but company has a zoom license and all meetings on zoom. It's impossible to work with. I have to mute audio and comment using chat!!!

DrDK
Listener

This problem came on suddenly back around August, I think (I don't have to use Zoom very often these days so I can't be more specific). It ONLY occurs in Zoom... running my Scarlett18i8 3rd gen AI in OBS, my audio workstation (recording), and every other app is fine. Using my Yeti in Zoom is also fine. But Zoom does not get along with my AI. It can be heard at the Settings--Audio--Microphone--Test Mic, on test recordings I run, and to my meeting participants in real time. All drivers are up-to-date, all cables are good, etc. If I were running a recording session using my audio workstation the crackling sounds like a sample rate issue, but I can't figure out why Zoom would have this problem nor how to test sample rates in Zoom.

Hey! I had the same problem with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. On my windows computer, on the Focusrite settings on the lower-right (near the clock), I clicked on the Focusrite Icon to open the settings and changed the buffer size from 256 to 512. Voila! It was magically gone. Works perfect now. 

Might not work for you, but it's worth a shot! Good luck

How to do it on MacOS Ventura? Pls, hep

DrDK
Listener

BRILLIANT!  My buffer was at 1024, bumped it down to 512 and it sounds just fine!  Easy-peasy. 

Thanks so much! ;^)

Pls, how to do it on MacBook ?

Djumpax
Listener

Hi. I'm an audio engineer and I do podcast editing and post-production. I noticed the same problem months ago on zoom audio recordings that I usually receive from my clients almost every day. After some research I can conclude this crackle sound has nothing to do with equipment, sound interface, computer or audio settings (it's a BS). It's a generic digital fast-clicking sound which is somehow subtly added to the 3-9 khz frequency range in real time. I reviewed over a hundred different recordings, from different people with different equipment from different parts of the world. *Crackling was always the same* That says a lot about this problem. This leads to only one conclusion - it's caused while live recordings over zoom. Since it's a frequency range that requires corrections very often, crackling sound becomes even more expressive. None of the denoising software I own can painlessly remove it, so I'm forced to remove it manually.  The reason for this  issue may very likely be an error or a bug in the backend audio code on zoom service - or it was done intentionally. Why? I still don't have a meaningful answer. It could also be caused by a global digital glitch or something. That's already a conspiracy theory. Thanks, V.

Bumping buffer to 512 fixed it.

How to do so on MacBook? Pls

This was an audio interface issue for me, not a computer problem. I reduced the buffer to 512. If you're using an A.I. you can find out how to adjust the buffer online. No idea how to get there on a Mac.

I don't use Zoom that much anymore. But in the past 3 yrs I have had the same problem. I now have groups I join on meetup alot of them use Zoom. And I am still getting the same problem all the Crackling. It's frustrating because I cannot follow along with anyone.

anzori88
Listener

Hi all,

I have same issue. I do not use any specific software or hardware. I'm just using Zoom for my work meetings and whenever screen is shared by my or someone else the crackling sound is there and for me it's almost impossible to attend/lead the meetings. Drivers are up to date, Zoom too. I tried all possible options from Zoom's audio settings but nothing helped. 🙄

Any ideas? Any solutions? Any plans from Zoom team for the next update? It's this way for couple months already (for me).

hello - any luck correcting this. I've been having this issue for over a year and as i head into the autumn and winter months i do more virtual course with important audio recordings shared after. i'd love to hear if if sound a way to correct this?  Thank you!

I have done all the things as stated above. It still happens but not all the time. Drives me mad but no solution still

After reading all new comments, I’ve made note of the buffer change. I’m on MacBook Pro. Yeti wasn’t working, crackling, (I need to check if only when recording). I bought a Pyle prof wireless DJ audio mixer with 3 channels. 
I’m getting by - can only talk 2 ways if original sound off and can only hear me and music with original sound on. 

SilverRose
Listener

I have had this problem for MONTHS!!! What can we do PLEASE?!? The computer is connected with a projector. Does that have anything to do with it?

ianprawira
Listener

I'm having issues with current Zoom audio. It's crackling whenever someone speaks. This is not device specific because the crackling issue still persist even though I am using Bluetooth headphone or cable headphone.

I am using Asus Vivobook M1403QA
This is really annoying, can anyone help?

Hey I found the solution to this. As I expected, the issue comes from the latest Zoom App. So we need to use Zoom web (using Chrome).

I found the steps from this post: https://devforum.zoom.us/t/launch-zoom-client-from-browser-without-redirect/9304/2

This is quoting from linked post:

You can use our Web Client as the join_url without leaving the website by replacing /j/ with /wc/.
https://zoom.us/wc/{meetingID}/join 218.

If you like to join with having the user type in their names you can base64 their names at the end of the url.
https://zoom.us/wc/{meetingID}/join?prefer=1&un={base64-firstname-lastname}