cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused by 40 minute warning on my free account. Help.

Marl
Listener

I had a meeting with a prospective student on Zoom the other day. I have a free account and understand that I have unlimited one-to-one meetings that can last up to 30 hours each. My meetings last for an hour on average. Anyway, in my meeting I got a 30 minute warning pop up saying that I was nearly at my 40 minute limit. It's a good job the meeting had almost finished! I would have been highly embarrassed if Zoom had kicked me out in the middle of a longer meeting. So confused, why am I getting this warning when my one-to-one meetings are meant to be unlimited or at least very very long if I need them to be. I don't understand. Any help appreciated, thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi there, 

The Zoom system doesn't actually count the number of participants in a meeting, but actually counts the number of joins to the session. This means that if someone disconnects, then rejoins, they are counted as 2 joins. It could be that you or the other participant disconnected, rejoined, and with the addition of the other participant, the 40-minute limit was likely triggered. 

If you have any disconnects, its best to completely end the meeting so that the join counter is reset and you can restart the meeting without any issues. 

Does this mean that if you have a free account and you only have one on one calls with various people, you can have as many of these calls as you want each month and there is no limit to the amount of time for each person or each of these calls?

Bort

Correct, if just you and your guest joins the meeting, it will not be limited in time. But as I stated above, if one of you disconnects and rejoins, that will count as a 3rd participant and you will be then limited to 40 minutes. 

Hi, I have the same question, there are only 2 of us in my zoom rooms and it kicks us off after 40 mins, no one goes in or out of the room. Is zoom now limiting to 40 mins? Thanks

Zoomy
Listener

This is not the case.  I have a free account and only ever have one other participant in my meetings which are 50 minutes long.  For the past two weeks I have been getting kicked out of Zoom regularly after 40 minutes despite signing out and in again under my Zoom login details (advice from one Zoom website entry) and ending my meetings completely and restarting them (as advised above).  My understanding - and the latest on the website, dated I think 29 April - is that 1-2-1 meetings with only two participants are unlimited.  Why is this happening and how can I stop it?  It is infuriating and makes me look unprofessional.  Please let me know how to correct this!

CindyLittle
Listener

I am also experiencing the same problem with my one on one meetings.

Jmgreen1008
Listener

We are too. What are our options to get the zoom meetings to go longer, I don't have a free, I pay each month, Zoom One Pro