cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communicate with teacher from breakout rooms

ANStrasdf
Listener

Hi. I'm a teacher that is teaching online classes via Zoom, switching from other products.

How do I let students in multiple breakout rooms communicate with me from inside the room? The only feature that seems to work is "ask for help", but I'm missing understanding of how to do two simple things:

1: How do I let them put their hands up or similar to show that they're done with an assignment?

2: How do I let students chat with me in the main room from inside the breakout room?

Please let me know if there are any supported ways of doing this or if we need to invest in more license options, external tools or plugins. Best regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

chrismenard7
Community Champion | Customer

Hello. Thank you for two questions.  

For Q1How do I let them put their hands up or similar to show that they're done with an assignment? I would suggest when you set up the breakout rooms, you allow them to return to the main room since they are done with their assignment. There is no feature where they can raise their hand from the breakout room to let you, the Host, know they are done. 

For Q2 - How do I let students chat with me in the main room from inside the breakout room? The students in a breakout room can chat with other users in their breakout room, but they can't send you a chat message. As you mentioned, this is what ask for help is for in Zoom. You will get an alert and be able to join their breakout room.

Now, you could allow them to leave the breakout room, return to the main room, and send you an individual chat if you enable that feature.  One last item for this question, thinking outside the box, you could create a breakout room for yourself and have a student pop into that room and ask a question.  They could also just ask you a verbal question in the Main Room. 

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you! 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

chrismenard7

Hello. Thank you for two questions.  

For Q1How do I let them put their hands up or similar to show that they're done with an assignment? I would suggest when you set up the breakout rooms, you allow them to return to the main room since they are done with their assignment. There is no feature where they can raise their hand from the breakout room to let you, the Host, know they are done. 

For Q2 - How do I let students chat with me in the main room from inside the breakout room? The students in a breakout room can chat with other users in their breakout room, but they can't send you a chat message. As you mentioned, this is what ask for help is for in Zoom. You will get an alert and be able to join their breakout room.

Now, you could allow them to leave the breakout room, return to the main room, and send you an individual chat if you enable that feature.  One last item for this question, thinking outside the box, you could create a breakout room for yourself and have a student pop into that room and ask a question.  They could also just ask you a verbal question in the Main Room. 

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you! 

ANStrasdf
Listener

Hmm, I see. Not ideal but I guess we have to work within the frames of what's possible until we find other tools. Thanks for the suggestions! However if anyone has suggestions for complementary external tools or plugins, please let me know!