cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co host capabilites

Dana7
Listener

Can't a designated co-host start the recording?  I have listed several different people, but each time they try to start the recording for me, it says only the host can do it?

What am I doing wrong?

6 REPLIES 6

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

There are multiple roles available for a meeting: host, co-host, alternative hosts, and participants. The role that you have in a meeting is designated by the host.

Host: The user that scheduled the meeting. They have full permissions to manage the meeting. There can only be one host of a meeting.

Co-hosts: Shares most of the controls that hosts have, allowing the co-host to manage the administrative side of the meeting, such as managing attendees. The host must assign a co-host during the meeting. Co-hosts cannot start a meeting. If a host needs someone else to start the meeting, they can assign an alternative host.

Alternative hosts: Shares the same controls as co-hosts, but can also start the meeting. Hosts can assign alternative hosts when they schedule a meeting.

Only hosts and co-hosts can start a cloud recording. If you want a participant to start a recording, you can make them a co-host or use local recording. Recordings started by co-hosts will only appear in the host's list of recordings in the Zoom web portal.

By default, only the host can initiate a Local Recording. If another participant would like to record, the host will need to provide permission to that participant during the meeting.

The host will need to join the meeting to give the other participant recording permission, or set the participant up as an alternative host. If a user has scheduling privilege for you, they will automatically join as an alternative host and be able to start the recording.

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

sachinzoom
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello There,

You are right they cannot start a recording.  @Frank_TB listed all the role descriptions below. You may choose a alternate host who can manage the meeting.

For recording, What you can do is to setup the meeting to be automatically recorded and assign a alternate host, who can manage the recording during a meeting if needed.

sachinzoom_0-1676063360333.png

Hope that helps

Hope that helps

I am not sure I understand still.  When I schedule a meeting, I scroll to the bottom, open Options and designate an alternative host, which I always thought was a co-host.  The person listed as the alternative host can not start the recording.  They get an email that they are an alternative host, but still have no control?  I am definitely missing something.

Allow participants to join anytime
Mute participants upon entry
Breakout Room pre-assign

Automatically record meeting
Approve or block entry to users from specific regions/countries
Alternative Hosts

Frank_TB

Hello,

The alternative host is not the same as a  co-host. Each role has unique abilities. 

Regards,

Dana7
Listener

I think I understand that part.  Is there any way to have someone other than the host start the recording without using record automatically?

Frank_TB

Hello,

Alternative hosts: Shares the same controls as co-hosts, but can also start the meeting. Hosts can assign alternative hosts when they schedule a meeting.

Prerequisites for designating an alternative host

• Both users need to be Licensed and on the same account
  • Zoom desktop client for Windows, macOS, or Linux:   or higher
  • Zoom mobile app for Android or iOS:   or higher
  • For webinar, the user who schedules the meeting needs both a license and the webinar add-on; the alternative host only needs to be Licensed
  • Alternative hosts must be signed in to Zoom with the correct account in order to be granted the host or co-host permissions

Alternative host limitations

• The alternative host can start the meeting using the join link in the email or calendar invite sent to them by the host. The meeting will not display in the upcoming meetings list in the desktop client, mobile app, or web page for alternative hosts.
  • Alternative hosts can't schedule on behalf of the host. If you need to schedule a meeting on behalf of another user, use  . You can also give another Licensed user scheduling privilege, which allows them to schedule meetings for you and makes them an alternative host for those meetings. 
  • If the original host joins after the alternative host, the original host is given the option to reclaim host-control of the meeting, or have the host-controls remain with the alternative host. If the original host retakes host control, the alternative-host is demoted to a participant.
  • Alternative hosts can only be assigned during scheduling or before the scheduled start time. If a host is attending a meeting but needs assistance with managing the meeting, they can assign a co-host during the meeting instead of an alternative host. 
  • If an alternative host is designated for a meeting, the meeting will still follow the original host's limitations or add-ons. For example, if the host has a Large Meeting 500 add-on but the alternative host does not, the meeting will still start with the expanded 500 participant capacity, since the system checks the host's meeting profile, rather than the first participant or alt-host that starts the meeting. 
  • Recurring meetings with scheduled occurrences cannot have their alternative hosts edited for a single occurrence. To modify the alternative host, they will need to edit all occurrences in the web portal.

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!