cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-Host Settings

PLMFB
Listener

Good morning, all.  I DID read a bit about adding co-hosts already, and will continue to search.  In the meantime...

Does anyone know if personal account information or passwords must be shared with someone assigned as a co-host?  A group I attend is shifting to 2x a month, vs weekly - a lot of folks would like to do weekly, but that would mean someone else stepping up to host when the account owner is unavailable. 

The account owner mentioned a concern about having to share personal information so I am trying to help find out.  It *looks* like one can add a co-host and that co-host receives the link and can open things up *without* the account password, but I'm not clear.

She would need someone to open the meeting (not create one) and host every other week when she is not joining.  Can anyone share some information, preferably in layman's terms, that I can pass on?

Thanks so much for any help!

3 REPLIES 3

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

There are some important differences between the roles. You probably want to use Alternative host.

• Host: The user that scheduled the meeting. They have full permissions to manage the meeting. There can only be one host of a meeting.
  • Co-hosts: Shares most of the controls that hosts have, allowing the co-host to manage the administrative side of the meeting, such as managing attendees. The host must assign a co-host during the meeting. Co-hosts cannot start a meeting. If a host needs someone else to start the meeting, they can assign an alternative host.
  • Alternative hosts: Shares the same controls as co-hosts, but can also start the meeting. Hosts can assign alternative hosts when they schedule a meeting.

When scheduling a meeting, the host can designate another Licensed user on the same account to be the alternative host. The alternative host can start the meeting on the host's behalf. This user will receive an email notifying them that they've been added as an alternative host, with a link to start the meeting. If this email notification is disabled in the Zoom web portal, the alternative host will not receive an email to start the meeting.

Prerequisites for designating an alternative host

• Zoom desktop client for Windows, macOS, or Linux: Global minimum version or higher
  • Zoom mobile app for Android or iOS: Global minimum version or higher
  • Both users need to be Licensed and on the same account
  • For webinar, the user who schedules the meeting needs both a license and the webinar add-on; the alternative host only needs to be Licensed
  • Alternative hosts must be signed in to Zoom with the correct account in order to be granted the host or co-host permissions.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/208220166  

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

PLMFB
Listener

This is SUPER helpful, thank you. I didn't know about alternative hosts, and I doubt she did either!

I'll have to look into what's entailed in being licensed on the account - the owner needn't be worried that the alternative host will do anything sneaky (we all know each other pretty well), but I certainly respect her worry about sharing HER information.  She would prefer that alternative host can sign in with *his* information, which I think can work as long as she's specified that up front. 

I will pass this on, and I may come back to it myself.  It can get complicated for those of us who are a bit less savvy with tech! 🙂

Frank_TB

You’re welcome!

The Alt host has no powers in the account admin. It's only during the meeting.

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!