cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification of video capture devices with Zoom

olafec
Listener

Hello,

I am trying to capture video from a second PC to display as content on a host pc running the meeting. Issue is - the second PC is a locked down workstation without ability to install software or change display settings. 

In the list of "approved" video capture devices, all of them are single pass-through devices that do not allow loop monitor connections (and are HDMI/DVI only, no DP). This feature is standard on pretty much any other product like Elgato, Hauppauge, etc. Is it really true that all other capture cards outside the zoom provided list will only show up as a camera feed and not as a second screen share option? 

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

So do you need DP?

For HDMI, I sometimes come out of one computer into an active 1:2 splitter, then take one output from the splitter to the existing monitor, then the second output to an HDMI capture device on the second computer - using something like a Camlink. 

The first computer sees the splitter (and therefore the monitor and the capture device together) as a single output monitor. But it would need to accept this a a plug-and-play device.

If your computer one is locked down to the extent to where it will not auto-detect a monitor (a splitter in this case) even this may not work.

If you do need need DP, you could likely adapt the DP to HDMI before going into the splitter - but it would need to be tested.

But - if you're computer one IS locked down to prevent external hardware for a reason, you may want to consider whether doing what you are trying to do is conflicting with whatever policies apply to you.

olafec
Listener

Hi Rupert,

The workstation was provided to us by an outside vendor. This console is meant to use the program that auto-launches on boot, with the OS locked down. We currently share the contents of the screen in our meetings via a webcam looking at it, but it's abysmal. There's nothing policy-violating we are doing, just wanted to show our screen with better clarity and resolution.

I guess my question is more about Zoom itself: can we use just any video capture card, or does it have to be one from the ~4 cards listed in the compatibility list? I can certainly try hooking up a second monitor via DP -> HDMI to the single source capture card if that is required, and testing the auto-detection and display of a second monitor on Console 1. 

Thanks!