cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromebook performance and multiple attendees

roasterboy
Listener

In a recent meeting, the presenter's audio and video quality was terrible. The presenter was using a Chromebook. (I don't have the details of the model.) Prior to the meeting, we had a couple of tech checks; the audio and video quality was good.  The presenter was plugged into his router, so bandwidth isn't likely to be an issue.

Looking at the dashboard analytics, the presenter's computer was showing 80-100% CPU usage. 

So, I'm wondering if anyone has done studies about performance with two people vs. two dozen or more attendees to see if the CPU load increases. 

Thanks in advance.

Karl Hakkarainen
Factotum Emeritus
2 REPLIES 2

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @roasterboy 

The system demands can increase as the amount of video participants increases. This can be compounded by screen-sharing also, when resources are limited - like on a Chromebook. At least in my experience. 

If the Presenter was trying to use a Virtual Background, that will not help either.

The system demands can also increase if the meeting gets elevated to HD - which can happen if any one of the Participants has joined with a Zoom Room or a Personal Collaboration Device.

You could ask the Presenter to disable their camera while screen-sharing;

Or to not use Gallery View at their end;

Or to un-check HD  in their Chromebook Zoom Video settings;

Or to disable Virtual Background, if they are using one.

Hope this helps.

Rupert

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @roasterboy 

Yes, CPU usage will increase as more video participants are in the meeting, as the receiving devices has to handle more incoming dynamic video. The ChromeOS app is very limited in what it can do, but the web browser version has more functionality already. 
I would suggest the host run the meeting through the web client in Chrome, which will likely run better and also has the ability to stop incoming video, which would help reduce CPU load. 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.