cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chat not working in breakout room

GreggH
Listener

Recently, when I am a co-host and set up a breakout room, the participants are unable to chat with me despite the chat setting in the main room allowing participants to chat with host and co-host.  Any suggestions on how to enable chat in a breakout room when this happens?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @GreggH it's been some time since you've posted this but were you able to resolve your issue? If not I can definitely further help and troubleshoot! Did you have chat enabled? Security tab > Chat

And you had 'Participant can chat with:' permissions set correctly? 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

GreggH
Listener

I really appreciate your reply.  Chat is enabled in the Security settings and the chat is set to host and co-host.  I am an educator and when we use zoom with our students during class we only want them chatting with the teaching staff.  Perhaps having it set to host/co-host is the problem.  But there always is a host or co-host in the breakout room(s) with the students.  Do you have any other thoughts?  Thanks, Gregg

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @GreggH so I did test this with a host and participant permissions within a breakout room and the chat permissions set in the main room go to the breakout room. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 3.23.42 PM.png

With that enabled the only option to message was the host from the participant view within the breakout room.

IMG_2861.jpeg

Here is the Host's view of the meeting. As you can see within the participant's tab, I have a host and two particapnts. Within the chat, the two participants are only able to chat host and cohost within the breakout room. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 3.20.46 PM.png

Have you checked your Zoom profile settings for Meeting Chat

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 3.32.55 PM.png

Lastly, suggest having students update the Zoom client. Or uninstalling and reinstalling.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

GreggH
Listener

Thanks again for your response.  I checked my chat settings and I have an option for "host" but not for "host and co-host".  I had selected the host option thinking that would cover co-host since it wasn't listed in the options.  I changed it to "Everyone and anyone directly" so I will see how that goes.  Gregg