cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot enable Original Ratio under video settings

skhomyn
Listener

Hello,

I am on Mac OS using zoom for work. I have an issue where I cannot enable the 'Original Ratio' setting, under video settings. Clicking this checkbox does not do anything at all. I am permanently stuck on widescreen, which is problematic as it shows too much of myself and my room. I have tried re-installing, changing hd on and off, and other settings - nothing seems to work. The only hack I've found to achieve the result I want is to open Slack's video settings at the same time, and then clicking 'Original Ratio' toggles the zoom level. But this resets as soon as I open the video settings again, or start a new meeting.

I am using the built in Mac camera.

12 REPLIES 12

anniekathleen
Listener

Sorry, not much help here. I've come up against the same issue. I wondered about your slack hack - I can't see video settings in slack at all...

They are located in the top left nav bar >  Slack > Preferences > Audio & video.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @skhomyn uncheck HD if checked, and try checking and unchecking the 'original ratio' checkbox to see if that helps! May see a drop in resolution. With HD checked, checking and unchecking the original ratio won't change your ratio due to the resolution of 720p and 1080p resolutions.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

Hello, I've just tried doing this again but unfortunately there is no change. Thanks for the suggestion though.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Ah @skhomyn okay, so this may be dependant on your integrated webcam or the webcam you're using which may not be built to capture a lower aspect ratio than that. Testing this on MacOS integrated webcam with HD off and I am unable to change the ratio.

However, with my Logitech camera, I am able to change the ratio with HD off. IF this is really concerning, you could use OBS as a workaround, however, after looking at some previous cases your integrated webcam on your computer just might be the case. 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

As I mentioned in the original post, it is possible to hack it to work using slack settings but that's a temporary solution. Therefore this seems to me like a zoom software compatibility issue with this particular hardware. I understand that this might not be a priority but it would be good to log as a bug regardless.

Thanks for the OBS suggestion.

Have a nice day.

dreweastmead
Listener

same issue here. Used Zoom for last 6-12 months with no "widescreen" issues. Then all of the sudden this week, using the same webcam (my iphone 12 pro) I have for last 12 months.... I am permanently on ultra widescreen mode in Zoom meetings. Cannot change this. Tried uninstalling Zoom entirely, and that did nothing.

Clicking "original ratio" does nothing.

BeerattheParade
Listener

Exact same issue. Started a week or so ago. I may have to leave Zoom as I need proper camera settings for my podcasts.

BlaneAR
Listener

Exit from zoom get back to welcome you should the settings icon. 
From the Meetings settings 

have the to turn or off HD Video 

and Aspect Ratio with options of Orginal ratio or scale to fit 

I hope this helps 

DI279
Listener

Original ratio with the same set up worked just 2 wks ago but not working today. Works neither on Mac or Logitech camera. Followed the steps suggested above but didn't change anything on my end.

dreweastmead
Listener

Still happening. Issue is 3+ months old now. What is the plan?

I have nothing new that I give you sorry I am not able to mirror your set up.