cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can participants have Zoom meeting without me (host?)

arudess
Listener

Hi there,

I am trying to create a Zoom meeting for two other people that I don't plan to attend. Is this possible, even though I'm technically the host? Will they be able to join and conduct their whole meeting without me ever joining/participating? Are there any specific settings I need to enable in order for them to do this?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ATTENTION ALL - THE FIX

Hey guys,

I was having the same issue. But figured it out.

1. You need to go into settings, which is positioned at the right hand corner, its a little cog.

2. Find the profile tab (about 4 from the bottom).  

3. Click on "View Advanced Features".  This will open up your web browser the Advanced Features.

4.  Find and click  "Allow participants to join before host"

5. It will then have a drop down box.   You can choose the time participants are allowed to join before the host.  anytime, 5, 10,  or15 minutes.

MISSION COMPLETE!

If you found this helpful, please like so we can help as many others going through the same challenge. 🙂

View solution in original post

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @brianb 

Yes, this is still possible. We've even created a dedicated article for how to set this up: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/8780304262157-Starting-a-meeting-without-the-host-present

Bort

@brianb 

Make sure you are following the correct instructions for the method you are scheduling with. Since you are scheduling in the web portal, you would find the Join before host setting under the Options section: 

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 13.45.32.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 13.46.20.png

18 REPLIES 18

Bort

Yes, it is possible for a meeting to be held without the host present, but you do need to configure the meeting correctly. 

• Disable waiting room
  • Enable Allow participants to join anytime

Can you please confirm if this is still a feature? It seems to no longer be available. 

Bort

Hi @brianb 

Yes, this is still possible. We've even created a dedicated article for how to set this up: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/8780304262157-Starting-a-meeting-without-the-host-present

Hi that is exactly how I used to do it. And the option is no longer there. See screen grab. 

Bort

@brianb 

Make sure you are following the correct instructions for the method you are scheduling with. Since you are scheduling in the web portal, you would find the Join before host setting under the Options section: 

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 13.45.32.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 13.46.20.png

Ahhh! Many thanks and sorry to have completely missed that. I don't think I remember that section being collapsed and so have been looking right past it. Appreciate your patience and help!

Hi Bort,

Just want to ask a few questions:

1. Are participants still allowed to record the meeting if the host is not in the meeting?

2. If the meeting will have 10+ participants and the host will not be attending the meeting, does someone need to claim the host role in order to accept people in the Waiting Room? (As of today, we can't disable Waiting Room due to the new security guidelines).

Hoping for your response!

HI, Bort --  I have tried to add a particular and regular user to come in and immediately serve as host - always - and I get this message when I try to save the setting in the meeting/edit/options page:  "Unable to assign "Rabbi Eytan Hammerman" as an alternative host because the user cannot be selected at this time"

Bort

Hi @EytanHammerman 

When trying to use the alternative host feature, both you and the alternative host have to be: 

• members of the same Zoom account 
  • both licensed users 

Those are the most common reasons for that error, so it sounds like this route might not work for your needs. 

Can we share our screen without host (or claimed host)?

This is no longer working. "

Allow participants to join before host

"

is enabled globally in our account settings and in my own zoom user account settings.

Cannot join a recurring meeting or a scheduled meeting before the host.

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 16.37.06.png

newheavens7777
Listener

guys i have done so, but it seems i'm still required to sign in for the participants to join. Did i do something wrong some where/

This is exactly what I am facing as well. Even though the participants join the meeting, I still have to start the meeting for them to continue.

Select advanced options to access the setting to allow participants to join the meeting before the host..

ATTENTION ALL - THE FIX

Hey guys,

I was having the same issue. But figured it out.

1. You need to go into settings, which is positioned at the right hand corner, its a little cog.

2. Find the profile tab (about 4 from the bottom).  

3. Click on "View Advanced Features".  This will open up your web browser the Advanced Features.

4.  Find and click  "Allow participants to join before host"

5. It will then have a drop down box.   You can choose the time participants are allowed to join before the host.  anytime, 5, 10,  or15 minutes.

MISSION COMPLETE!

If you found this helpful, please like so we can help as many others going through the same challenge. 🙂

Shalin
Listener

Go to Zoom Meeting settings and enable to allow participants to join before host option.

Hi @Shalin, how do I get to this setting? Can't find it on the Windows app or on browser.
Thanks in advance!

This feature is not working in my organisation- no participant can join before host - all are landing in waiting room