cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can host make a non speaking participant full screen

letterem
Listener

Hi, at a zoom meeting a host took a screen shot of me in full screen. I was not speaking and had my microphone muted . There were over 300 participants and I was quite disturbed to realise that a host could make a non speaking participant full screen at will . I think this only happened on his local screen and was not live for all participants . I know that the meeting was recorded in speaker mode so that whoever was speaking was full screen , but as I did not speak I would like to know how  it was possible for him to get a full screen grab of me. 
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bruno-BaKano
Community Champion | Customer

There is no option to switch on a remote camera in Zoom. Using another software to turn on the camera is a possibility but it would need to interact with Zoom in order to also send the video feed. I'm not aware of anything like that so I consider it highly unlikely.

An host can stop a participant video but then can only request the participant to start his video (you would get a prompt asking for that. See more details in Managing participants in a meeting - Controls for hosts and co-hosts 

What I recommend is for you to set the option Turning video off when joining a meeting , if not already, so that your video is off by default. Then you need to take action to start the video, so you are in more control in case of very big meetings (because when there is many people we sometimes don't notice our own video).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Bruno-BaKano

Anyone participating in a meeting can control what they see in their own client. You have the options to change the layout (as per Adjusting your video layout during a virtual meeting) and you can even pin participants' video , making it "full screen" as per your own wording.
The host even as the option to Spotlight a participant, making that person's video the one that every other participant see, which is also another possibility the host might have used (although you would notice that during the meeting)

So according to what you said, the host most likely pinned your video and since the host was recording locally (meaning it records what he/she sees in their client) it ended up like that even though you were on mute.
As far as  I know there is no option to disable this feature from the settings.

If you really don't wish this to occur in meeting your only option is to stop your video (not show it) when not actively participating.

Thank you for your prompt answer, that makes sense, as the screen shot says 'remove pin' at the top  so  I guess he pinned my video as you say. The other disturbing thing is that i  did not have my camera on. I have been told that i probably switched it on inadvertently, but don't think I did . Do you know if  there any way that my camera could have been switched on remotely through using some dodgy software?
Thanks  

Bruno-BaKano

There is no option to switch on a remote camera in Zoom. Using another software to turn on the camera is a possibility but it would need to interact with Zoom in order to also send the video feed. I'm not aware of anything like that so I consider it highly unlikely.

An host can stop a participant video but then can only request the participant to start his video (you would get a prompt asking for that. See more details in Managing participants in a meeting - Controls for hosts and co-hosts 

What I recommend is for you to set the option Turning video off when joining a meeting , if not already, so that your video is off by default. Then you need to take action to start the video, so you are in more control in case of very big meetings (because when there is many people we sometimes don't notice our own video).

I am thankful for the article post. Really looking forward to reading more. Great. I found your comment online as a decent wellspring of data.