cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera not working

Charlie_
Listener

Hi! My camera is not working. It was working just fine on this computer for the past 18 months but a few weeks ago it decided it didn't want to work anymore.

When I am in a zoom call, it refuses to let me turn on my camera on my laptop but it works just fine on my phone. My laptop camera is fine, I tried using the camera app and it works just fine.

Here are the things I have tried to do:

-updating my camera driver

-updating zoom

-uninstalling and reinstalling zoom

-allowed zoom in my computer privacy settings

-turned every setting on and off again in the zoom camera settings

-restarting my laptop

-updating my laptop

-even contacted the chatbot help thing and nothing they suggested helped.

None of it worked, and I'm out of ideas on what to do. Could someone please help me?

Here is what it looks like to me:

camera showing a grey screen in the zoom settings pagecamera showing a grey screen in the zoom settings page

21 REPLIES 21

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @Charlie_ 

You have tried an extensive list of steps!

Here's a couple more to try.

Zoom is releasing a new update today - so be sure to check for updates again.

Have you tried toggling the settings under "Advanced" Video Settings?

Can you try running Zoom "As Administrator"?

Do you have anything else running in the background that might be set to your camera - like Teams, or WebEx, or even Skype?

Check for any pending Windows Updates.

Does your laptop have an internal camera, or are you only using a USB camera?

Rupert

I did not ask this question but am having exactly the same problem. Logged into a meeting tonight and, even when I had the video switched on, all it showed for me was a black box. I could see everyone else but couldn't see myself and no one else could see me. Audio worked fine. This is a weekly meeting that I have been attending with no problems for the past 6 months. Tried all the fixes suggested by the bot + your kind suggestions. I have nothing else running that uses my camera. My laptop has an embedded webcam/camera and the camera light is on. I reset all my zoom settings to default settings in case I hit something I shouldn't have hit. I'm out of ideas 😞

Hello Rupert,

My camera does not work during a zoom meeting even tho it shows that it is turned on.  I have tried various options.  However, it works when I do a test run, but not when I am connected to an actual zoom meeting with my colleagues.

Please assist.  Thanks.

EL

check camera privacy permissions?

Lioness
Listener

Exact same problem here. Maybe time to get a usb camera?

Have you been able to resolve the camera problem?  We now have the same problem.  Camera goes grey, freezes up, works intermittently.  Thanks for replying

I have a USB camera that was previously working on Zoom and will no longer do so.

sherre
Listener

Have you been able to resolve the camera problem?  We now have the same problem.  Camera goes grey, freezes up, works intermittently.  Thanks for replying

i have the same problem

atlguy61
Listener

Having the same problem here.. suggested solutions don't fix it

Lioness
Listener

Frustrating! 

1. Purchase a USB camera. It always works.

2. Is it the settings on the windows or that of the manufacturer of your computer.

3. Can you reload the video driver? There is another thread here in Zoom support called 'Camera is not working'  note the word 'is' gets you to another similar thread where the champion tech support fellow gives a link to how to reinstall the video driver. 

kmcavinn
Listener

I'm having the same problem and it just started - yesterday it worked fine, now nothing I do will fix it.  Tried everything listed above and I have a USB camera and an IPEVO document camera - neither will work.

Al11
Listener

I've used Zoom for over 2 years. Last night my camera stopped working for the 1st time. Howabout a fix NOW.

Al11
Listener

Was my "camera no working" message received?

Lioness
Listener

The 50 dollar USB camera my local cyberconnections shop seems to be the cure. As they said, it always works

Soliver
Listener

Try turning on the camera switch located on your keyboard. My switch was off and now I am able to use my camera in Zoom meetings.

What does the camera switch look like on a MacBook Air 2012, please?

Windows keyboard, not a laptop. Where is the camera switch?

RanaM
Listener

I had the same problem and tried many things.

This simple step  worked 😊

Thank you soooo much

PoomW
Listener

I faced the same issued but co-incidentally i went to set up filter/background the grey turned to normal camera and it's work !

Mrwizard
Listener

uninstall your camera, reinstall and do a update in windows.

If all fails, restore back to a date your camera was working.