cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera and mic not working only in Zoom

Ali_Sh
Listener

Greetings all,

I recently downloaded Zoom for my laptop and can't get myself ready for meetings. More specifically, I'm unable to get my camera and USB mic to work, even though I've been using these without incident on Teams and other conferencing platforms.

For instance, if I go to video settings, my camera's light is turned on, but the preview is just a black screen. Accessing these settings causes the Zoom client to hang - forcing me to choose to end task - yet my camera's light stays on, and I have to disable and re-enable the camera app from Windows settings to reset the camera.

On the audio side of things, the speakers' test works fine, but not the mics'. Testing both the built-in and USB mic yields nothing.

I tried the solutions found in Zoom's knowledge base. I uninstalled and reinstalled the client, updated Windows, drivers, restarted my laptop,  and checked the relevant permissions, to no avail. I'm running Windows 10 on an HP Probook. Looking forward to your suggestions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ali_Sh
Listener

Greetings,

I managed to solve the problem by upgrading to Windows 11. Just wanted to leave this here in case someone comes across this thread.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

Saif_Elmejrab
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @Ali_Sh ,

Thank you for using Zoom Community!
Since you have done most of the troubleshooting, reinstalling the Zoom client, system driver and tested the integrated mic as well as the USB mic.
I would like to confirm on the permissions that you mentioned; for the camera (after doing the drivers install),  

you could also check your privacy settings,
Windows has specific privacy settings that prevent software and hardware from accessing your camera. That could be one of the reasons why your camera is not working on Zoom.

1. Launch the Settings app and navigate to Privacy.
  2. Then, under App Permissions, click on Camera.
  3. There’s an option there that says Allow apps to access your camera. Toggle it on
  4. Navigate to Allow desktop apps to access your camera.
  5. Then turn this option on to allow Zoom to access and use your camera.

As for the microphone, were you able to do the following steps:

• Use the Windows search box to navigate to Microphone privacy settings. Switch on the Allow apps to access your microphone toggle, and enable access for Zoom

I hope that helps.

Hi Zoom employee

I am using a webcam on my laptop.

The video is not working on the desktop application. Please help me resolve it 

Ali_Sh
Listener

Hello @Saif_Elmejrab,

Thank you for your reply.

I already checked these permissions, as Zoom's knowledge base recommends doing so. Unfortunately, it didn't yield anything. Forgive me for reiterating, but I'm only facing these issues with Zoom.

Ali_Sh
Listener

Greetings,

I managed to solve the problem by upgrading to Windows 11. Just wanted to leave this here in case someone comes across this thread.

Saif_Elmejrab

Hi @Ali_Sh 

Thank you for updating us on this.
I needed to reinstall windows and replicate the issue.
However, with what you mentioned, upgrading to Windows 11 solved the issue is quite weird, there may have been an issue with the operating system itself

Ali_Sh
Listener

Hi @Saif_Elmejrab 

It's worth mentioning that a colleague of mine has been facing the same issue on his Windows 10 machine. Since upgrading to Windows 11 isn't an option for him, I did some troubleshooting for him. The workaround at which we arrived is to have him join Meetings using Edge. It's been working flawlessly. 

Best regards,

Ali

Saif_Elmejrab

Hi @Ali_Sh 

Thanks for the update on this.

We'll look into this.

mghill1963
Listener

What is the workaround for Windows 10 as unable to upgrade to Windows 11

TechieJ
Listener

I'm seeing a similar issue and would like more info as well. In my scenario, I'm getting no audio when using a Plantronics headset - I've tried both the Plantronics Voyager Legend and Voyager 5200. I can see video, just no audio (can't hear and they can't hear me). Zoom tests fail as well - no sound and no mic.

PatLim
Listener

Hi Everyone. My colleague's Laptop has the exact same issue. No video and mic can be used when she signs in with the Zoom desktop client in Win10. We do not have option to upgrade to Win11 due to work requirements. Would also be interested in a fix for this issue. One note though, her laptop and mine are the same Dell Inspiron. Mine's working fine. But her system doesn't seem to work. This issue stated a few months ago, before that it was working.

FMWoodley
Listener

Hi, I am also experiencing this issue. Microphone works in Teams but not Zoom app. On Edge it works fine via Zoom. Upgrading to 11 is not possible. Any ideas?

TechieJ
Listener

Replaced my Bluetooth USB adapter and have been issue free for several weeks now. Here's the link for the BT300 from Polycom - https://www.poly.com/us/en/products/headsets/accessories/bt300. Check to be sure this is the one you need before ordering, but worked for me. Good luck!

Maizatul
Listener

Hi @Ali_Sh

I solved it by installing the older version of ZOOM (version 5.9)

How to do that?

You mean install 5.9.3? Sorry it is not possible now. My colleague's issue came back after a force upgrade to latest Zoom version. We will try to upgrade her PC to windows 11 and see if that really solves her issue. Hopefully our work software will be able to work with windows 11 (even though we were recommended to not upgrade...).

PatLim
Listener

Hi All. After seeing Maizatul's note. I also managed to get my colleague's Zoom to work with the video and Mic by downgrading to a older zoom version. To be more specific, the highest version that work was 5.9.3. All higher versions I tried didn't work.

JDE-Kevin
Listener

Same issues here - it all works outside of Zoom and company forces Windows 10, plus manages the software. Zoom needs to resolve this defect in the release.

ungas30999
Listener

Can someone help me? The zoom app was the only one not working the microphone. I already did the update, audio driver update, uninstall and install the app. Thanks in advance!

Hi. Have you tried downgrading the Zoom version. Maizatul and myself posted some info on mic and video working after downgrade. Maybe it may work for you as well.

Good luck.

Thank you! Experienced the same problem, and downgrading to the version 5.11.10 finally worked! Today's update just ... (ugh, have no words). Everything worked fine before it.

Caroline16
Listener

I'm back to having this problem again. The 5.9.3 version is now out of date so I can't rely on that now. I've tried 5.11.10 and that still hasn't worked for me. I can't upgrade to windows 11.

Has anyone found any other versions that work?

Hi, I had the same problem, managed to get it working by updating to the latest Windows 10 Ver 22H2, via windows update assistant, maybe you can try that.

Windows 10 Update Assistant - Microsoft Support

😞was hopeful for a while when I saw your message....but didn't work on my colleagues dell laptop...but it might work for others. So for those looking for solution, maybe you can try this and see if it works for you.

My colleague laptop is HP, so basically I tried patching every single drivers/firmware I could find, ran windows update, Update Assistant was the last thing I did before it finally worked.

Also I removed Teams as well, installing it back after Zoom's working. 

Not sure if yours is the same but my case was Zoom would stop responding every time I tried to enable the camera, mic would just give me an error message. The Zoom version is Version: 5.14.6 (15434).

Caroline16
Listener

I've managed to get it working using Microsoft Edge browser, hopefully that might work for others

If you are joining a zoom call, how do you access through Microsoft Edge? Don't you just click on join meeting link?

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

It would be most helpful if when mentioning your issue you told us;

• if you are using the desktop client (Include the client version)
  • a browser based session. (Include the browser name and version)
  • Which operating system and version you are using (Include the version)

Both your operating system and possibly your browser have security settings where you need to grant permission to use cameras and microphones per application in some cases.

Regards

I had save issue, then I install Zoom 5.11.4 version and the issue was resolved.

Zoom 5.11.4 Download link: https://www.templateppt.eu.org/2022/07/download-zoom-version-5114-7185-for-windows-7-32bit.html