cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU spike and my video freeze

stevesm
Listener

I have not used Zoom on my Windows 10 computer for a few months.  I just started using it again and my video will freeze intermittently.  Switching video off and then right back on again unfreezes it.  I noticed a quick audio buzz and CPU spike when this happens. Otherwise CPU usage is normal. Participant video is fine. I have turned off HW acceleration, etc.  but it still happens.  I am using a green screen, which I have been using all along.  Same with my Logitech c310 USB camera.  

anyone have any ideas how to fix this?  I am using the latest release of Zoom (uninstalled and reinstalled). Was there something on one of the recent upgrades that could have caused this?

thanks

13 REPLIES 13

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @stevesm

You may want to check your system bandwidth requirements. As listed HERE

I usually connect via wifi and even with a fiber line I can get video freezing from time to time when I have too many devices in my home connected and using up all of my bandwidth. 

When I am wired in to my AT&T fiber router, I do not see these bandwidth drops while in meeting sessions. 

Another troubleshooting step is to open up a meeting with a friend or co-worker, and go to your Zoom Desktop Application (Client) go into the settings > on the left there is a tab called statistics > you can view in real time the data that is sending and receiving from your internet connection to your Zoom client. I have found this very helpful with customers that I have interacted with in determining where the freeze is coming from. 

Please let me know if you have any further questions. 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Thanks for that. I am using Zoom successfully on other computers so I think the bandwidth is ok.  I was monitoring the statistics during my last call and saw almost no dropped packets. Speedtest shows 85 down up and 5.5 up.

thanks Rachel.  Yes, that is the first thing I tried but it did not fix the issue

YaBoiB

@stevesm

Another idea that just popped into my head is; do you have G-Hub installed for that camera? I have a Logi C920 on my mac and I was having issues with the camera going black except for in the photo booth, so I downloaded G-hub and ran some tests in that software, and somehow it fixed it. No problems with it since. My thinking is that maybe the camera might need a video driver that it does not have right now. 

Check that out as well and let me know what the outcome is. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

no G-Hub. will keep investigating. I have not seen it happen when I am on mute (which is not very often!!) but maybe my audio is an issue.  Again, the only issue is MY video freezing - everything else works fine.

YaBoiB

@stevesm , 

And you are sure that you have enough bandwidth while in a meeting? If you turn your video off and the meeting is not freezing then from my experience that is either CPU processing power or bandwidth issues. 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

well, TBH, I cannot be sure as I do not know what to monitor in real time.  The Zoom statistics show the CPU well below 50%.   If I had low bandwidth, wouldn't I see issues with participant video as well?

stevesm
Listener

Here's a bit more info.  I was on Teams meeting yesterday on the same computer and I heard the momentary audio buzz that I often hear when my Zoom outgoing video freezes.  In teams the video did not freeze.  So it feels like maybe it is something to do with the computer, but I am not sure what it could be and why Teams is not affected but Zoom is.

YaBoiB

Hi @stevesm

We could jump in a meeting and do some live troubleshooting if that will work for you. I work M-F 8 am to 6 pm CST. I can create a troubleshooting ticket for you and we can work on this together. Would that work for you? 

Thanks, 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

joej
Listener

I have had the exact same issue also since I came back from the holidays. It was working perfectly before that. I assumed it was the recent Zoom update that caused the issue as I updated just before joining my first Zoom meeting back from the holidays. 

I also submitted with Logitech for a warranty and tried the new camera and my coworkers camera. All of the 3 logitech cameras are seeing the same video freeze and glitch. 

@YaBoiB I would love to take you up on your offer to create a troubleshooting ticket for me and work on this together.

YaBoiB

Hello @joej

I have requested that the moderators create a support ticket for you. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do to assist you. 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

DERDAV71
Listener

I am having similar problems and have generally associated it with a spike in CPU usage while in a meeting.  The computer and camera are working fine and suddenly there is a spike and the camera freezes and locks up.  I'd really like this to stop!

@YaBoiB I would love to take you up on your offer to create a troubleshooting ticket for me and work on this together.  

stevesm
Listener

FWIW I ended up wiping the machine and re-installing Windows.  The issue went away, but pretty drastic approach to solving it.