cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLOSED CAPTIONS

JOANIEMINDY
Listener

Hi

How can  get closed caption when I join a meeting?

I have enabled it on my own account.

However I can not get it when I join a meeting.

Is it automatic or does the host of the meeting have to enable it for me?

I really need CC and appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Joanie

7 REPLIES 7

Dan_ZoomSE
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @JOANIEMINDY,

At this time Live Transcription (closed captioning) requires that the meeting host has the setting enabled and then choose to turn it on.

Coming soon this will no longer be the case as users will be able to enable the Live Transcription on their own regardless of the Host’s settings.  

I do not have a firm timeline that can be shared right now, but this feature is actively being tested and should come out later this year.

If this has answered your question, please click the Accept as Solution button below so that others in the Community may benefit as well.

Thanks!

I am wondering about your comment above:

"Coming soon this will no longer be the case as users will be able to enable the Live Transcription on their own regardless of the Host’s settings."

Has this been rolled out yet?

Hello Dan,

Still haven't heard from you that this important feature has been activated.  Looks like it's time to contact Shari Ebert again and have her start another petition to get you to do the right thing for people who rely on closed captioning.  It previously took 80,000 of us Zoom users who are hard of hearing to sign the petition to get Zoom to comply with the accessibility requirement mandated under the ADA. Do we really have to do this again to get you to act?  Please don't drag your feet on this important issue.  

Bort

Hi @BrendaB 

This is still being worked on and rolled out to users over time, but there have been some issues along the way that have caused this rollout to be delayed. We still don't have a firm ETA for when this will be available for all, but I know this is a high priority item the team is actively working on. 

I currently have more hearing impaired people in person in my hybrid meeting than on line. The ability for these people to have a full screen closed captioning would be a great help. The small captions may be adequate for people at home on a desktop, but fail for those using a phone or tablet in person. The automated speech to text while imperfect is certainly helpful, but the small size on portable devices is not.  Thank you for a great product which can be improved. If you have other workarounds, I would love to know them. 

puffybc
Listener

Wow. A violation of the ADA and WCAG. Wtg Zoom. ANd since you're in no hurry to fix this, it's obvious the powers that be there are ableist.

Alaz
Listener

Zoom techs, I would really appreciate it if you made this a priority. As a hard of hearing person, it becomes such a burden to constantly have to ask others to enable closed captioning for me. It makes it so I can rarely actually participate in spaces with able-bodied people, and I have to inconvenience them in order to allow myself to participate. This may not seem like a big deal to normal hearing individuals, but it is a HUGE deal to us hard of hearing folks.

Thank you for your time,
-Andy