cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breakout Rooms and Cloud Recording

elana
Listener

Hi. I want to break a class of 15 students into 3 groups (like in breakout rooms). However, I know you can't record to the cloud in breakout rooms. So, I was thinking of starting 3 different Zoom sessions where the students can go into one of the three rooms and the session thereby gets recorded to the cloud. I know I can't be in more than one Zoom session at a time but if I log out, can my students go into the three Zoom meetings that are listed on my college account? They would all be on at the same time. We tried this last week and managed to get 2 to work (somehow) but one group couldn't get on. I am doing this to try to avoid having to have individual students record to their computers and then upload the contents for me. I have many Zoom sessions listed on my account but not sure if they can be used simultaneously. I hope you understand what I am trying to do. (Briefly - I have 15 students giving presentations - I don't want to have all studentss listening to every presentation so I want to break into 3 groups and have students listen to 4 others plus themselves. But, I want it recorded to the cloud so that we can go listen to it later.). Any help you could offer would be greatfully appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Maybe the group that is presenting/being recording takes the main session, while everyone else goes into breakout rooms? You, the host, can tell each group they have 15 minutes to present to each other before you come back in and swap the groups out. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Bort

This is not possible as you describe it. Since your students are joining meetings scheduled and hosted by your profile, you will be restricted by how many meetings you can host concurrently. Even if you do not actually attend the meetings, they are hosted by your profile and count towards your limit. 

Based on your description of what you are wanting to accomplish, I'd suggest scheduling some time for each group to join a specific meeting to give their presentations to each other. You can set those meetings to auto-record to the cloud and allow them to join before the host, so that each group can join without you being there and the entire session is recorded. 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Thanks for explaining what was happening and why they couldn't log in! 

Yes, I figured that they can present by signing in to a meeting individually. I'm not sure I can get them to be available as a group at a time that is not the time we all get together. This might not have a solution for that reason.

Thanks again,

Elena

Bort

Maybe the group that is presenting/being recording takes the main session, while everyone else goes into breakout rooms? You, the host, can tell each group they have 15 minutes to present to each other before you come back in and swap the groups out. 

elana
Listener

That's a great idea. I could have the others working on something else in the breakout rooms and then switch them around. Would it matter if I went in and out of the main room? Probably not, right? And I guess I would have to make it very clear to everyone how this is going to work since it does seem like it could get a bit confusing.

Bort

The cloud recording should continue with you in a breakout room or not in the meeting at all. 

Yes, you would want to make sure everyone understands the process and who will go next. You might use breakout rooms pre-assignments to set up the groups and also name each room so they know which group to join and what their time slot is. 

EiderZG
Listener

Dear all,

We are using Zoom small rooms, to separate the students, and create differents group to work together.

But we want to record, the main session, we do that, and also the small rooms, all the groups. How can we do that?

Thanks.