cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Yeti microphone not working on MacOS Monterey

schulzrinne
Listener

Since I upgraded to MacOS Monterey (12.0.1), my Blue Yeti microphone is not working when I start Zoom (latest - 5.8.6). However, if I switch to another microphone, such as the system (built-in) microphone, and then back to the Blue Yeti, it works fine. This didn't happen prior to upgrading MacOS. Anybody else have the same issue?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

SeanTong
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

I have a Yeti X, it works great with zoom until I install Logitech G HUB(2022.2.9146),  it also has same issue with G HUB.

Open G HUB -> click Yeti -> back  -> click Yeti, Yeti disconnects from G HUB and keeps connecting in G HUB, I think it's an issue with logitech audio driver, then I try to uninstall G HUB, and remove all logitech audio driver, it works again.

Here my steps:

• Unistall G HUB, sometimes it says GUB is open when I remove it, so we have to force quit it from activity monitor app  
  • Remove the GHub plugin LogiGamingAudio.* from Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL
  • Remove logi_audio_override.kext from Library/Extensions (and/or backup_logi_override.kext)
  • Restart Mac

Of course , you can use the command line to do that. Open Terminal and run:

sudo rm -rf "/Applications/Logitech G HUB.app/"
sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/logi_audio_override.kext
sudo rm -rf /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/LogiGamingAudio.*

Here is the ticket on yeti related the same issue maybe you can have a look

View solution in original post

ChoPraTs
Listener

I experienced the same problem. It seems related to the Logitech G-Hub driver for Blue Yeti microphones.

I removed that driver and now my Blue Yeti X microphone is using the integrated driver of macOS and it seems to work without issues. Of course, doing these, all the "Blue Voice" effects and other settings that Logitech's G-Hub app allowed will no longer work, but the microphone should still be usable in its basic functions including volume control or mode change with its physical buttons.

To remove the Logitech G-Hub driver you just need to remove the file "logi_audio_override.kext" from the folder library/extensions of your system hard drive (I just moved it to a folder in my Desktop to keep a backup of the file).

I also used this command in Terminal to remove all the drivers I deleted and I will no longer use (if I'm not wrong, I think this removes a folder that works as cache of drivers):

sudo kextcache --clear-staging

After reboot the system, the microphone should now use the built-in macOS driver with no problem.

For now, my Blue Yeti X microphone seems to work without problems with macOS Monterey 12.2.1. I will maintain Logitech G-Hub installed hoping that sooner or later they will release an update that corrects the problem and be able to use its advanced equalization and profile functions again.

View solution in original post

95 REPLIES 95

Just a follow up: After removing the Logitech drivers everything seems to be working fine. 

GabeSpain
Listener

Something about Monterey simply destroyed the Yeti X on the Mac. Although even with the previous MacOS, the Yeti was a bit more prone to disconnecting itself than other mics in my experience. It was a BIG mistake to purchase this mic for MacOS!

The people at Blue sent me a new microphone (old one still under warranty). That it could be anything different than a faulty mic never came up in the very long thread I had with them. Obviously the new mic suffers from the same issue.

In my case the bug is easy to reproduce by simply switching input sources in MacOS sound preferences. After switching back and forth a couple of times, the Yeti disappears from the available input sources. Recording screencasts is impossible after upgrading to Monterey, as the Yeti reliably disappears from the Screenflow input devices (and from sound preferences input list), requiring a system reboot to get it back. 

There must be thousands of Monterey users with Yeti mics. It surely must be a big issue for Blue/Logitech??

ChoPraTs
Listener

I experienced the same problem. It seems related to the Logitech G-Hub driver for Blue Yeti microphones.

I removed that driver and now my Blue Yeti X microphone is using the integrated driver of macOS and it seems to work without issues. Of course, doing these, all the "Blue Voice" effects and other settings that Logitech's G-Hub app allowed will no longer work, but the microphone should still be usable in its basic functions including volume control or mode change with its physical buttons.

To remove the Logitech G-Hub driver you just need to remove the file "logi_audio_override.kext" from the folder library/extensions of your system hard drive (I just moved it to a folder in my Desktop to keep a backup of the file).

I also used this command in Terminal to remove all the drivers I deleted and I will no longer use (if I'm not wrong, I think this removes a folder that works as cache of drivers):

sudo kextcache --clear-staging

After reboot the system, the microphone should now use the built-in macOS driver with no problem.

For now, my Blue Yeti X microphone seems to work without problems with macOS Monterey 12.2.1. I will maintain Logitech G-Hub installed hoping that sooner or later they will release an update that corrects the problem and be able to use its advanced equalization and profile functions again.

Thanks for sharing! Was experiencing the same issue, tried your fix, and it's working. I have an open ticket with Blue Mic and shared your post. 

I'm not having any luck finding that file/folder ( logi_audio_override.kext) - any tips? 

mjj209
Listener

Reporting in the same issue with a Yeti Pro:

2019 MacBook Pro

Mac Monterey 12.3

Zoom 5.9.6 build 4933

Leaving sound.app open works for now. Would like to see a fix to this. Very annoying to not be able to speak in a meeting when I first join unless I remember to leave the sound.app open.

I had the same issue - see the above post by ChoPraTs - that's the fix for now, and you don't need to keep the sound settings app open. 

You are right! Removing those files & a reboot makes it work! Thank you! 

Was hard to find that answer, maybe there's a way to show it's the right one?

ChoPraTs
Listener

A new version of Logitech G-Hub has been released today: 2022.3

It seems it has solved the issue for me.

jwmerritt3
Listener

Interesting. Just installed G-Hub ver 2022.3 - and it keeps prompting me to unplug / replug my Yeti X, so not the same as before, but now seeing a new problem. 

Kegb
Listener

I have a Mac desktop running OS Monterey 12.3.1 and after using my blue yeti with zoom for over a year, it suddenly stopped working well - everyone told me I was too quiet after a year of having the volume down super low because it was so sensitive. After doing a ton of online research and finding out this is a common issue, I downloaded the Logitech G Hub app, and through it I was able to restore the original sound on my blue yeti. I am back to having the volume and gain down low, but having lots of sound. Free app, works with Mac and fixed my microphone - all good in my book!

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @Kegb

I have a mac on Monterey 12.3.1 and I do not use Logitech G hub, and my microphone sits about a foot and a half away from me (Yeti Blue) and I have not had any complaints from my participants that my mic is too quiet. I would  assume that it could be something with the Logi G Hub application, but I would have to download it and test it to be sure. I just let my mac run the Yeti, and I can switch between the Yeti and my Jabra headset if I so choose to. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

DeanJacobs
Listener

Hi, my Blue Yeti mic stopped working and shows up in preferences under a new name.    I've restarted the computer and used different adaptors; the sound comes through the headphones, but no mic.  

Also, the Yeti red light on the mic does not come on when I connect it.   Can anyone offer suggestions on what to do next?  I'm using a MacBook Pro and Monte 12.4 Monterey.

Any help would be greatly  appreciated. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 9.54.56 AM.png

Ray2023
Listener

I have this same issue on MacOS Venture 13.0 with Zoom 5.12.9 (13190) and a Blue Yeti Nano. I've running the mic into a powered USB hub. It's maddening! Can I get telemetry from Zoom on this - a log or something? I have no idea how to troubleshoot this. Yeti's advice was to power the hub I've connected to the mic. I only have this issue with Zoom.

HarryArthur1
Listener

Hello There! I'm having similar issues. Please let me know if there is any kind of issues with an update! 
I also appreciate Zoom Community! So helpful more than 80%  of my problems have been solved just by reading a different kind of topics which is relevant to my issues.

Thanks!
Regards:
TeamAlpha.

umy888
Listener

Glad I read through these emails.  One of the Zoom support team mentioned multiple USB connections, and that seems to be it.  Many of you might be running the USB light by Logitec along with the mic.  Once I removed the USB light, my mic worked.  Would like to have both of these available, especially in the Logitec software, but looks like I won't.  Again, unplug your usb light and mic will work using ghub software.