cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio stops working in the middle of meeting

RM100
Listener

Halfway through a meeting today I could suddenly no longer hear the host. I at first I assumed he had accidentally muted himself, but I was the only one affected. I was not touching my laptop at the time and I received no error message. I checked other apps that have sound (Youtube, Spotify) and my audio was fine. I left the meeting and came back and still couldn't hear. Then I restarted my computer and came back and I was able to hear the meeting again. About 30 minutes later it happened again. The meeting was almost finished so I just left. Anyone know what could cause this? This is a huge problem since I teach online and have many meetings on Zoom. 

11 REPLIES 11

teacher5
Listener

On 2/7 and again 2/13 I was in a meeting (once as host, once as guest) when audio output stopped as soon as a new speaker started talking. Left meeting, came back in, still no audio - and no audio on any other program or on Windows and Dell tests. 2 days later it came back but not sure how! Had 4 Zoom meetings between last week and today without incident but then today it happened again and I can't get it back. I teach as well and need to count on Zoom. Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated and shared!

purefit
Listener

I have had this issue as the host twice now.  I teach a fitness class and midway the participants cannot hear me or the music.  Been doing this for 3 years without issue and it seems once I upgraded to the new zoom version it is a problem.  is there a setting I need to change?? any help would be very much appreciated.

teacher5
Listener

@purefitwere you able to get your audio back after the meetings? If so, do you recall what you did? I have tried every single setting possible and can't get the laptop speakers back. Thanks!

It came back on its own before the meeting ended. I didn’t change any settings and it seems to temporarily cut out and then comes back. Not sure why - never used to happen. Is yours a new problem with the latest version of zoom?

It must be the upgrade because I haven't had this problem in 3 years and had it 2x in one week. My speakers are TOTALLY gone, never came back the second time (not sure which of the millions of settings I kept testing fixed it the first time). I know it's not hardware because headphones work.

I totally agree it’s the upgrade. Also never had a problem in 3 years. It’s not the hardware- I ran all the tests. I’m going to contact zoom support and see if they can help. Will post if I get any answers b

I was able to get audio back - I completely uninstalled and reinstalled zoom on my computer and changed background noise setting to medium and have not had a problem since. 

spencerputnam1
Listener

My problem is similar, and also new since the upgrade. Audio suddenly cuts out so I can't hear other participants, but I can see them. I leave meeting, sign in again, and audio is back on. Sometimes it happens 2-3 times in a meeting. I do not know if others can see or hear me.

I was able to get audio back - I completely uninstalled and reinstalled zoom on my computer and changed background noise setting to medium and have not had a problem since. 

I have done the same but no luck. 😞 I have been in email threads with tech support for over 6 weeks but basically all they did was suggest uninstalling and reinstalling. Nothing has worked and I had to purchase a bluetooth speaker in order to teach my classes and hear my students. Very frustrating because I know the issue is related to Zoom.

melsumner
Listener

I experienced this today and I'm posting what it was for me in case that helps anyone else. My bluetooth headphones were connected to my macbook, but they were also connected to my phone. During a call, I opened an app and the phone took the priority of the headphones (even though the app had no sound, which led me to believe that something had gone wrong with Zoom). I had to go into my bluetooth menu on my phone, explicitly disconnect my headphones, and then I was able to hear on Zoom again. I hope this helps someone else!