cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio settings on Chromebook

CEaton
Listener

We're trying to use a Chromebook for simple zoom calls. But I see only very limited audio settings in a Zoom call when using the Chromebook, ie no way to increase or decrease the mic or speaker volume. Am I missing something or are my options truly limited on the Chromebook?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Unfortunately, Chromebooks are quite limited in what they can accomplish compared to the desktop client, as they are essentially running meetings with the web client. Not sure why it wouldn't recognize the Owl for both speaker and mic, but that could be a Chromebook driver issue, as Zoom generally just queries the OS for a list of devices that can be used. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @CEaton, this functionality ins't available in Zoom, however, you can Adjust the volume on your Chromebook

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

I can adjust the volume of the speaker and mic in Zoom on my laptop. (See the attached page from our instructions.) But when I choose setting under audio on the Chromebook I get very limited choices. That's why I assumed it was a limitation in Zoom when using a Chromebook. Since we can adjust the volume on the Owl itself, it's not a big deal, but some of the other settings available would be helpful...and make it easier to develop instructions for our presenters if they were the same. And part of it was curiosity in all honesty!

Thanks!

Sorry....the red highlight moved when I saved the single page....here's a corrected copy!

Rafay
Listener

i also have the same problem

CEaton
Listener

This appears to be a difference in the audio settings available when using zoom on the Chromebook, but I didn't really get a clear answer on that. We're trying to use a Chromebook and Meeting Pro Owl so need to be able to adjust those settings in zoom like we can on a laptop.

Also, I can choose the Owl for the mic but not the speaker. I would really like to get some clarity on this....is this a Chromebook issue? It seems to be because we don't have these issues when on a laptop.

CEaton_0-1645500268161.png

Bort

Unfortunately, Chromebooks are quite limited in what they can accomplish compared to the desktop client, as they are essentially running meetings with the web client. Not sure why it wouldn't recognize the Owl for both speaker and mic, but that could be a Chromebook driver issue, as Zoom generally just queries the OS for a list of devices that can be used. 

I was afraid it was a limitation of the Chromebook. Thanks for the explanation that it basically uses the web client.

And I'll try updating the Chromebook driver. The limited audio options are something we can probably live with as long as we can use the Owl for both speaker and mic.

Bort

Since all ChromeOS apps are being deprecated later this year, Zoom has been focusing on developing the PWA (Progressive Web App), which is meant to replace the ChromeOS app.  You can keep an eye on PWA/web client enhancements here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/4407440629133

Aside from the audio questions, we seem to have more trouble maintaining a good video speed  on the Chromebook than on a laptop. Any thoughts on whether that might have to do with the Chromebook rather than our signal vs the Chromebook?

Bort

Not enough info there to really advise you in one direction or the other. Can you provide more details about your connection speed, device specifications, etc.? 

Thanks, Bort. I've got guys here that will be looking at the wi-fi settings, etc. I just asked in case you know people always/often have issues with video freezing on a Chromebook. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions!

Participants in meetings say my audio is cracklilng with a bit of static.  I turn off my mic and it's fine for the.

Any ideas?

I have chromebook.

Thanks