cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio quality changing depending on the mic

jsk127
Listener

Hey! I've had a weird issue with the audio quality while logged into meetings. My USB webcam (CASECUBE FHD 1080P Webcam with Microphone and Ring Light) has a mic, but I generally use Bluetooth headphones (Beats Solo) in meetings. Zoom defaults to my webcam's mic, and when I try to change it back to my headphones' mic, the audio quality gets noticeably worse. I have no idea why this would happen, since theoretically the audio quality is only dependent on what speaker I'm using.

Has anyone else had this issue? Anyone know how to fix it? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

DerKleiner
Listener

I have the same issue both with AirPods and Plantronics headset.. will do a web search to look for answers since Zomm support isn't answering.

nick60453
Listener

I have this same issue. it also ruins the audio quality of other apps. so if I try to listen to music on iTunes, for example, the audio quality is also poor. it's a strange issue that I hope they fix. 

DerKleiner
Listener

From what I gather from various searches on this topic (surprising there are not more complaints out there) when you go into Bluetooth full duplex mode for wireless headset/AirPods etc., apparently the Mac codec switches into an 8 bit mono mode, hence the diminished audio quality.  Reason seems to be that the Bluetooth spec has limited bandwidth for higher bit rates, which seems crazy to me that it would be designed that way.  Somehow tho, the problem doesn't show up when using wireless earbuds with an iPhone.  My sense is that people have differing levels of sensitivity to audio quality (mp3's are fine for many), whereas others are more so, but I have to think there is more to it and it would be great if ZOOM tech support would weigh in on this but no expectations they will.