cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio looping after Monterey OS update

morning_soul
Listener

I am getting a short  ~1/2 second audio loop sporadically coming on calls well after they start.

Details:

Recently upgraded to Monterey OS on a new M1 chip MacBook Pro

Audio looping is only audible on the other end of the zoom call (not on my end)

This has occurred 3 times in the past week.  Twice with a user who was in a zoom room at our company.  Once with an individual using his laptop and headphones.

In all instances, this occurs well into the meeting. 20-40 minutes

Any others experienced this?  Would seem to be a software artifact rather than hardware since it is not present at the start of the meetings. 

43 REPLIES 43

raw_bean
Listener

I've had 2 instances personally in the last 3 months of the same issue.  Once on Big Sur and once on Monterey. The hardware is an M1 based MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020).

List of observations:

• The audio begins looping about 20-40 minutes into a meet.
  • It is not apparent to the presenter. As in - the presenter's audio starts looping and this is quite obvious to everyone else in the meeting but not to the presenter.
  • The audio loop interval itself is about 3-5 seconds.
  • Restarting Zoom does not help. The audio loop stops when the presenter leaves the meeting but carries on exactly as before when they rejoin the meet.
  • Logging in and out of the macOS session does not help. The audio loop stops when the presenter leaves the meeting but carries on exactly as before when they log in again and rejoin the meet.
  • The only remedy is a complete restart of the machine.

This qualifies as a significant problem when it occurs given its clearly disruptive nature and it would be good to get to the bottom of this. 

What is the route to a resolution for this kind of issue ?

Thanks

I get exactly this problem but using MS Teams It is only on the Mac (M1) and has occurred several times when I'm in longer meetings. I'm using a Logitech webcam. It occurred both on Sonoma and Ventura.

Same here... I am using zoom or whatsapp when it happens. I'm using a logitech camera as well. I am using a macbook air with M1 Chip and Sonoma 14.0

elnico
Listener

I just updated my Mac Book Pro mid-2015 to Monterrey 2 days ago and now the issue is happening in a daily basis. 

Observations:

• I am using headphones and suddenly sound and mic are down
  • Happens after a blurry and intermittent audio quality (20 minutes until the sound is off)
  • I have to connect and disconnect my AirPods to get audio and mic on 
  • With the system mic and speakers, there is no problem only while using Bluetooth headphones or AirPods.
  • It doesn't happen with any other app. 

Please I would like to know  a solution for this issue,

Thanks

PdEurope
Listener

I have had the same problem, daily for the last few days. One additional twist is that, after having trouble on one call, I closed (at least the call in) Zoom and switched to FaceTime, and the problem continued - the same loop that had started in Zoom. Also: muting in Zoom stops the loop for call participants.

Same if you leave Zoom and go into MSTeams

morning_soul
Listener

Found a solution.

Turns out Logitech is aware of this problem and issued a firmware update intended to address the issue, but it doesn't seem to work.  They did suggest that the USB hub I was using could be the source.  Seemed unlikely since I'd had the same set up through all of COVID lockdown and 1000s of zooms with no problem. However the problem did arise when I upgraded to an M1 chip MacBook pro.

The solution turned out to be simply getting a USB-C to USB-C cable and routing the Brio camera directly.  Problem solved. Not ideal as it's one more thing to plug in, but it seems to work.  Good luck!

Hello morning_soul and anyone else-- is the USB-C to USB-C solution still working for you? Is this the solution?!

I ask because this looping issue in the middle of a Zoom call has happened to me twice in the last two days (about 20 min into the meeting both times) -- but it had never happened during the last 3 years with my set-up (Logitech external camera and Mac). The only changes have been (a) a new Mac that worked with this set-up WITHOUT INCIDENT for 6 weeks (until yesterday) and (b) probably my plugging the USB-A from my Logitech camera into a different USB-A port of my HooToo that then plugs into a USB-C on my Mac.

I am HOPING the direct USB-C to USB-C will solve my problem and am asking the community. I surely don't want to experiment with this when hosting my next large group meeting.

Thanks!

There are quite a few different types of USB-C to USB-C cables. They differ on data-transfer rates, power,  USB version, thunderbolt version, etc., so it doesn't make sense to blithely trust that a USB-C to USB-C will cure the problem without more detail on what kind of cable is needed plus which port on the Mac was used since the ports differ, too.

Until someone (preferably Logitech or Apple) weighs in with a real explanation, there's no reason to believe that a person couldn't get the same effect by rubbing a genie lamp and making a wish since the problem is so sporadic that it could strike the person using that jumper cable again.

Hi  , there has been a recent firmware update for the Logitech BRIO.  After installing this I've not had the looping problem for quite a few weeks 

@MLYDC

wolfdown
Listener

My only solution so far is unplugging  the usbC camera/mic and plugging back in ... but problem is recreated in 20-40 mins

raw_bean
Listener

I think that a common theme for the audio looping problem seems to be the use of an external camera ? I can confirm that I have not had the problem at all without the external camera on 3 different Macbook Pro M1s that I've tried. The problem manifests on all 3 eventually when an external camera is connected. The mitigation for me is always the same: A full power cycle. Nothing else works!

Quite catastrophic for public facing presentations (that's where its hit me more than once!).

Any pointers appreciated!

MarkV2
Listener

I can confirm that the fix is to connect the Logitech camera to the Mac using a USB C to USB C cable.  This was acknowledged by Logitech support.

Hi! If I have a Logitech StreamCam, 1080P HD 60fps Streaming Webcam with USB-C and Built-in Microphone

that has a USB-C coming out of it and one that plugs right into my Mac mini (with M1 chip), do you think they're suggesting that I get an additional USB-C to USB-C and run it through that? 

spf50
Listener

I have the same problem with a Logitech StreamCam plugged directly into a Mac Studio using the latest version of Monterey (12.4). To be clear, the StreamCam's own cable has a USB-C connector which goes right into a USB-C port on the Mac Studio. No hub, no adapter, no extra cable. 

Logitech suggested it might be a port problem but switching to different ports on the Mac Studio hasn't cured it permanently. (Unplugging and replugging cures it temporarily.)

But I don't think it's a Zoom problem since it happens in FaceTime, too.

I am having the same issue, this has happened 4-5 times in the past two days on my new Mac Studio

spf50
Listener

I contacted both Logitech and Apple. Of course, both asked for an audio clip. This wasn't easy since it happens sporadically and only the person on the other side hears it. But I finally got someone to record it for me. Here's a 22-second audio.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G5s5UfoejAIZnR4ae62zzKFhsQmXAf1h/view?usp=sharing

that is my issue too - thanks

maidennet
Listener

Same issue for me - so frustrating.

I'm running a Mac Mini Core i5 and Logitech C920S Pro HD webcam

No firmware updates available for the webcam. The problem only started after installing Monterey.

Amit3
Listener

Hiiii

Bc11
Listener

Hi all. I am having the same issues as above, previously on my Mac mini m1 and now on my Mac mini m2. I use a logitech hd 1080p webcam. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

No solution, sadly. I used to turn the computer off and back on, but I’ve learned that just unplugging the camera from the Mac mini fixes the problem temporarily, which at least makes it less annoying. I can usually now just see the face of the other person on Zoom, know what is happening, and fix it before they even say something!

Thanks for the update. I will definitely keep that in mind when it happens again. If you do find a solution at some point, I would be great full it you could share. Thinking of buying a different brand webcam to see if it solves the issue 🤞🏼

spf50
Listener

Problem disappeared after I updated my M1 Studio to Ventura 13.1 so I'm thinking it was an OS issue.

I skipped 13.0 so no idea about that version. I had also tried a 2nd StreamCam that Logitech sent me with no difference in behavior. I also tried a different webcam (Kensington W2050) which did not exhibit the problem but it's possible I just didn't use it long enough because the mic was so inferior that I sent it back quickly.

UPDATE: Never mind. The problem returned on Ventura 13.1. I see 31.2 is out but I'm not holding my breath.

steve47
Listener

I have had this problem on my Mac Studio for the last 6 months, soon after I bought it. I have a logitech C920 HD Pro camera/microphone/speakers. It has happened on both Monterey and Ventura, though when Ventura 13.1 came out, it seemed to be ok until recently having updated (downgraded?) to 13.2. Since it's quite intermittent, it's hard to know for sure if it really went away with 13.1. However, my experience seems to fit with a combination of all the other reports.

I will try disconnecting the camera next time it happens and report back. My camera is hard wired to a USB A plug, so can't change that easily. I can't believe that if I got an A-C adapter that that would solve the problem in itself, but it would change the port I'm using. Experimentation is slow and unreliable!

Bc11
Listener

After exploring potential issues with the mac, I reached out to Logitech, they confirmed that it could be an issue with the webcam. They replaced my logitech hd 1080p as it was still under warranty. I am happy to say that I loop no more! 

Hope you find a solution 👍🏼

@Bc11, Do you have Logitech's confirmation in writing (email?) or can you provide a support ticket #?

Ticket Number 11387364

Hello Mr,

Thank you for contacting Logitech! My name is Deni and I would be happy to assist you.

As discussed over the phone, if you purchased your product from Amazon, I encourage you to contact them to get a warranty claim.

I recommend that you show this email to your reseller to confirm that all troubleshooting steps have been completed and that your product has been identified as defective.

Why the reseller and not Logitech? According to European Union law, the reseller is required to replace defective products within 2 years.

On the Amazon website, select "Customer Service" > "Contact Us" and then select the order in question. Select the "Problem with an item" item in the "Tell us more about your problem" section. Select the "Damaged/Defective/Different/Missing Item. Then select how you would like to contact Amazon to receive a warranty claim.

Please feel free to send me a little feedback to confirm that everything went well with them.

Thank you for your request to Logitech Support, I remain at your disposal for any additional information.

I look forward to hearing from you and wish you an excellent day!

Best Regards,
Deni
Logitech Customer Support

Please feel free to respond to this email.

Have to say that I think Logitech's response is legally defensible but otherwise rubbish. Talk about passing the buck! Everyone knows Amazon offers no real customer service. Simpler solution for me was to ditch Logitech altogether, something I will continue to do in future.

RolfBly
Listener

Just want to say I had this problem too, where a presenter was on Mac. I was wearing Bose 700 RB bluetooth headphones & mic. 
Rebooting, deleting the meeting and creating a new one did not help.

We ended up muting the presenter in Zoom and a phone call for voice. 

Next time I'll try something else for the audio. 

I Also hope that vendors stop pointing at each other for a solution, but just get together and find out what the problem is. 

Artimunor
Listener

I have the same issue, my setup however is that I have the Logitec Brio connected to a Dell U3223QE hub, and connect my macbook using USB-C, everything works. But i get the audio loops (on the other side for the listeners) now and then.

However why i made an account to post this is that i have a minor addition to report that might help Logitec or Apple engineers to fix this:

The mic audio loop even happens after I am not connected anymore, so plugging in to the monitor for wired internet, audio speakers and the brio (and mouse and keyboard) poisons somehow the audio drivers, so that even when i unplug, and do a video call, or audio call using zoom, discord, telegram, whatsapp (does not seem to matter what software) the mic loop still happens. I have confirmed that if i restart the macbook (16inch m1 max) and do not connect to the monitor with the brio, it does not happen. I need to do this systematically to avoid this happening in public presentations as this is very embarrassing. It is a shame that such an expensive laptop combined with such an expensive webcam still are not able to work well together. It is a myth that macbooks "just work" as all of this runs fine on the windows PC that is connected to the same monitor and external devices. (using DVI cables and the usb-c hub)

We can rule out the Dell monitor being the problem going on above messages. And have to assume it is the MacOS audio system getting unstable due to interaction with the Logitec driver. (both should not be the case, so this is a call to action for both Apple as well as Logitec devs.)

margaretHeff
Listener

Same thing happens to me ALL the time - maddening!! Complete reboot is the only fix (which doesnt always work)

Download LogiTune and carry out a factory reset?  I did it out of frustration and I've not had any issues since!!

Yes! Logitech support made me install this as well.

I have not had any issues since, for about a month now.

Hopefully this has resolved the issue for good.

howiefj
Listener

I have a Logitech StreamCam and MacOS and exactly the same issue, the audio looping happens even when not using any applications.  I checked sound within system preferences and I could see the audio loop.  I contacted Logitech Support via the phone and they confirmed I needed to place a warranty claim with Amazon the retailer for a replacement unit.  They provided me with an email to demostrate Logitech had reviewed my device and were recommending a replacement.

DanThomasUK
Listener

This issue happens when using:
+ A Mac
+ A Logi or Logitech webcam that has a USB-C output that's then converted to USB-A - either with a convertor cable, or by plugging into a monitor or hub

I've diagnosed the issue for Logi and they're not interested in fixing which is why they send you back to Amazon etc. I even offered to help test some new firmware or software for them but no. 

The solution is to:

1) Either plug directly into a USB-C port on the Mac

2) Get a webcam from pretty much any other company - I ended up going for the AnkerWork B600 which has worked perfectly, connected via the USB hub on my monitor still.

spf50
Listener

Solution 1 (plug directly into USB-C port on Mac) is not a solution. I've tried 2 Logitech StreamCams plugged directly into my Mac's USB-C port. Both exhibit the problem.

Your solution 2 sounds better. I don't need all the bells and whistles of the B600 so I ordered AnkerWork's C300.

PS: I now have 2 Logitech StreamCams that I don't know what to do with. Dare I sell them knowing they don't work reliably on a small % of computers? I didn't even pay for the 2nd one (except perhaps in my time spent dealing with the problem). It was sent as a replacement by Logitech which didn't want the first one back either.

Sounds good - and sorry plugging directly into USB-C didn’t work for you! I got mine refunded under the consumer rights act as they’re obviously not fit for purpose - but if you sold it and made it clear it was for Windows PCs, that could work?

margaretHeff
Listener

It is a lot quicker and easier (though not cheaper) to throw the Logitech rubbish in the bin and get a device that doesn't pass the buck to Amazon whose customer service is notorious. Just because it's legal doesn't make it right to blame the retailer. I just don't want junk this bad ever again.