cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio issues - sound therapist

andasalchemy
Listener

I am a sound therapist and I conduct online sessions and webinars and even with a highly sensitive mic, zoom seems to completely suppress the sound of the tuning forks and bowls. I have already tried to adjust the audio settings but I think I am doing something wrong, as nothing seems to change... it's like my 'background' noise is completely silenced and all one can hear (barely) is my voice. Any insights greatly appreciated. 

I am using a Macbook Pro with Focusrite external audio card and condenser mic. 

3 REPLIES 3

JonY45
Listener

I have this problem too. I'm leading an online meditation group and want to start and end sessions with the ringing of a bowl bell (which has a deeper sound than chimes of finger bells). Voice comes through but the sound of the bell ringing is completely filtered out. 

This is absolutely not a mic or PC sund app issue, as I have tested by recording both voice and bell sounds via Audacity, and the bell sound come through perfectly.

Have you figured out a solution?

hey! yes I toggle "original sound" "on" - but it kinda sucks because while people then hear me well, when they speak, they hear a freaky echo... anyways. it's a mystery to me why this isn't being sorted out by zoom... there are clearly enough musicians etc who use zoom who need the wildly over the top audio filter disabled without any other weird add ons like seems to be the case right now. if you need help figuring out how to turn on the original sound, let me know, I ll help you

JonY45
Listener

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I do need help, but I'm pretty capable with PCs (I'm a retired IT guy). I've tried every setting, including Original Sound on (with the Advanced setting set to both on and off) and I have no luck. Voice comes through fine, but the sound of my meditation bell is completely filtered out. I can talk while the bell is still sounding and my voice comes through fine, but no bell sound at all.
I recorded both voice and bell sounds successfully using Audacity (but not in a zoom session, of course), so I know the problem is neither the mic nor any signal processing app running in the background on the PC; it appears to be a strictly Zoom problem.
Very frustrating.