cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio gets cut off whenever there are notifications from other apps/websites

zivillan
Listener

I didn't use to have this issue before, but now whenever there are notifications from other apps/websites (e.g. whatsapp message notifications on whatsapp web) or even error sounds from Windows applications, my zoom audio gets cut off for about 3 seconds.

41 REPLIES 41

Iris
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello , please go to your settings--> sound--->Sound control panel and reduce the volume of other sounds by 80% or mute it.  By doing this setting, you will not be disturbed by other notification sounds when you are having a meeting. Hope this will help you.

Iris_0-1632730597341.png

Iris_1-1632730626708.png

I am also having this issue but the fix did not work. 

MHeggie
Listener

I too am having this issue & had these settings already in place.  A fix would be good.

cosource
Listener

Also have the same issue, and those settings above are the defaults, so don't think that is the solution, as this started to happen recently. 

Psartin
Listener

Me too! 

the given fix does not address the issue. The problem is not that the incoming alert it too loud. The problem is that the incoming alert mutes Zoom for multiple seconds. This is a HUGE problem as I get multiple slack and calendar alerts in any given hour and constantly pausing all notifications is not something I can do. 

Zoom, please help!!

Update: after a few days and multiple restarts and software updates, the issue stopped. I can't tell you which update or how many restarts it took but it was a very long and frustrating week or so of living with this issue. I hope to not ever see it again. 

Additional detail: I was and still am using Beats for apple blue tooth headphones on a PC. When using the computer mic and speaker (low quality), muting on incoming notification was not an issues. 

I am also having this issue today 12/21/2023 and I am ALSO using Apple Beats connected by Bluetooth to my PC! Issue has never happened until a few days ago...

Zoomedd
Listener

This is a new issue for me and did not happen with older versions of zoom. Changing notification  sounds does not help because the audio out of zoom is completely  muted, not of lower volume. I specifically  notice notifications  from outlook and teams causing this.

rodrim152
Listener

I'm having the same issue, when I use my Bose headset, interruptions from Outlook, Calendar, Teams, and web Whatsapp.

d-dub
Listener

This is really irritating to the point I'm no longer going to be using Zoom and switch to Teams. Zoom, you need to fix this immediately its unacceptable

FAyala
Listener

Same issue here, I need to restart my computer to have this situation solve is a total headache.

samalter
Listener

Same issue. No audio in either direction when phone decides to send notifications. Often told that I cut out for 3 seconds.

FIX IT!!!

eswt6tseae45rq
Listener

Same issue here - sound cuts off completely for several seconds whenever I get a notification (windows notification, slack, calendar, etc.)

Was having the same issue w/ Slack, mail. calendar.  W/ Slack, go into Slack settings, notifications. You can assign notification sounds to your laptop/desktop speaker.  W/ this setting. you do hear slack notifications during zoom calls, but they do not imact your bluetooth speaker used for Zoom.  i turn off calendar and mail.

ndan
Listener

My solution thus far has been to close slack durning Zoom calls. This is not ideal!

Was having the same issue w/ Slack, mail. calendar.  W/ Slack, go into Slack settings, notifications. You can assign notification sounds to your laptop/desktop speaker.  W/ this setting. you do hear slack notifications during zoom calls, but they do not imact your bluetooth speaker used for Zoom.  i turn off calendar and mail

ttakaro
Listener

It appears that no one from zoom reads this or maybe they don't care. The fix is not here after 6 MONTHS OF COMPLAINTS!

Jennife
Attendee | Zoom Employee
Attendee | Zoom Employee

Hi, could you pls check whether the audio devices selected in the Zoom meeting are the same as the system default devices? if yes, pls try to use another device (non-system default) in the Zoom meeting and try again, so that we can determine whether this issue is related to the system default devices-shared scenario.

How do you imagine this dear ZOOM employee? How can I select another audio device in zoom and a different audio device in system defaults? I would not hear anything in this case.

I don't receive sound notifications that are an issue, I get outlook email notifications that pop up and block all sound from zoom for 2-3 seconds. It makes it extremely disruptive. The only work-around I can figure is to shut down all other apps and services.... Zoom you need to fix it. 

Jennife
Attendee | Zoom Employee
Attendee | Zoom Employee

Also, are you all using a Bluetooth headset?

YES

samalter
Listener

In my case it's my Android phone so there is no concept of audio devices other than system. Yes, using a bluetooth headset. I'll let others chime in on their experiences.

Jennife
Attendee | Zoom Employee
Attendee | Zoom Employee

thanks for replying.

the Bluetooth speaker will be taken away by the system when income a voice notification from another app, this is by design. the system has the highest priority.

Hi Jennifer,

I am having the same issue with Zoom audio cutting out when a notification comes in. I am using Samsung bluetooth earbuds. I never had this problem until recently, so I am very confused by your system audio response. Can you send a link to more thorough explanation and fix. This is a major issue and will be driving me to Google Meet and Microsoft Teams whenever I can control the platform in order to avoid this until I can get it fixed.

Thanks,

Mike

OK, I think I may have solved this after doing more web searches but I won't know for sure until I have another meeting.

1. Start or participated in a zoom meeting. I don't think you can solve this without doing so. 

2. Click the up arrow next to your audio mic icon to get the audio settings. 

3. Make sure the Same as System option is selected for each Microphone and Speaker. Mine had been moved to other settings, so I switched them back. I've attached a screenshot. My bluetooth earbuds were on/selected in my bluetooth control panel on my PC and I am getting audio through them even with System set in Zoom. 

Best,

Mike

Jennife
Attendee | Zoom Employee
Attendee | Zoom Employee

Hi Mike, may I know if the issue occurs in your later on meetings?

Hi Jennifer,

I'm confirming that the setting adjustment i described has worked for me, thankfully! Other audio may pop up but it doesn't mute the zoom.

Best,

Mike

Thank you Kahncious. It was obvious from the start that the zoom employee's suggestions weren't the resolution. Your solution was correct and resolved this issue for me. Appreciate  your help!

THIS - thank you, thank you, thank you!!!    

YaduVarma
Listener

Dear All,

The issue is only with Zoom while attending on the android platform. I had the issue and finally, I have managed to fix it.

Please go to setting in phone > mostly in sounds & vibration or sounds & notification section you should find > Do not disturb (DND) option > In which you will have "allow to interept" option. This by default would be "turned on".

To fix our issue please turn off this option and try. 

Now whatsapp or other notification should not interept your zoom call audio.

Please check and confirm.

Regards,

Yadu

Vladimir_Stefan
Listener

For me this issue popped up a few days ago.
ZOOM why don't you just roll back whatever changes you did? Is it the right approach to ask customers to find workarounds instead of fixing the issue on your end?

AppliedSusan
Listener

This issue started popping up for me as well. It went away for like 6 months but now it is back. I didn't have this issue earlier this week (I use Zoom everyday since 2019). This happened when I was using a laptop. I do have the Zoom desktop client installed as well (installed for over 3yrs now). My audio also cuts out for a solid 3 seconds when I start/stop screen share in addition to when I get notifications from other non-Zoom applications as others have mentioned above.

adavis
Listener

Same issue but on Mac OS. OS level notification cut out my audio input or voip me. Muting Slack notifications during a call does help but those are not the only notifications causing issues to Zoom audio.

qmailmadrid
Listener

I find the solution!

I use zoom 5.13.11 right now.

In zoom audio setting,

In speaker area, tick "use separate audio device to play ringtone simultaneosly"

Then, pick defferent device between main speaker and ringtone speaker. In my case, i choose my galaxy bud as speaker, and my laptop speaker as ringtone speaker.

Solved for me. Thanks

Zomg
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

Giving this a shot now. 

• Windows 11 and using a Sennheiser Headset connected via USB
  • I've used the same headset for 5 years. This issue had occurred a couple times before and pointed strongly to Zoom Update issues. 
  • Option to select speaker or microphone while in a Zoom Meeting has always been my Sennheiser
  • Issue occurs with any notification (Outlook, Dell Updates) and causes my headset to beep twice while also cutting out audio both directions. 

I can see this being a possible fix but its something Zoom Support and the Devs should be on the same page about. 

I was tech support for 15 years, reading the other comments here show that its not our PCs, Headsets, Notification Settings (I keep mine default), but all occurs while we are using the same app.. ZOOM

The issue has been reported on at least the following (to prove my point)

• Windows, Mac, Android
  • Bluetooth, USB
  • Bose Headphones, Airpods, Sennheiser Headset

You shouldnt need to select your speaker/microphone be the same as system default.. the whole purpose of allowing us to select is so that we can adjust what we are using mid-meeting if we need to. I work in AV now and demo Neat, Poly, Logitech, Cisco, Jabra and many other products to clients that require switching mid-meeting. 

Zomg
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

On Version 5.14.8

"use separate audio device to play ringtone simultaneosly" - Did Not Resolve Issue

- New Version available - 5.14.11 - updating now but i doubt this BS will stop... 

Zsófia_Török
Listener

i'm on 5.15.7 and the issue is still present, appeared cca 2 months ago, Sony headset, BT, Win10, the only workaround i found is to mute other systems sounds such as Slack. plus the cut on zoom voice is not 3 seconds but a good 10... long enough to lose out on the speaker each time. freaks me out

Jpeace
Listener

**ANSWERS**

There are multiple things to do to try and fix this issue. I have them below.  (Just fixed for a co-worker):

1. From Zoom ~ "The Bluetooth speaker will be taken away by the system with an incoming sound notification from another app, this is by design. The system has the highest priority.”

e.g., if you are joining a zoom and already have your computer set to use your headset/bluetooth device - this means you don't have to change your input/output source to have zoom play through your headset - this is because your headset is set as your “system default” which is the auto-selected source for zoom calls. Here in lies the first issue. If you are on ‘system default’ when a notification sound happens, it switches your machine’s ‘system default’ to be the computer speakers instead as notification sounds come out of the machine. To fix issue one: it means that even if you are hearing audio from your headset when you join a zoom call, you still need to go to input & output and select your headset as the source as opposed to using the system default - every time you join a call. Then, it should not switch over when there is a notification sound.

2. Another thing to change:
    - Go into the Zoom app
    - Go to preferences
    - Go to Audio
    - On the top under ‘speaker’ click the “use separate audio device to play ringtone simultaneously” check box - turn that on (set it to any other option so you now have two places for audio - one for notification sounds and the other for your call audio - this may prevent the switching issue, it also may not. unclear.)

3. If none of these things work, you are not crazy; this is an ongoing issue with Zoom. Ultimately, the only guaranteed workaround if all else fails is to either:
    - close all notification apps that you have open when entering a zoom;
    - turning on a form of 'do not disturb' which mutes notification sounds before you get on and while you're on a zoom;
    - or lastly, turning off sound notifications in your system setting altogether either before/while you're on a zoom call . . . or permanently.