Introducing the new Zoom Community Champion Program where we recognize our most engaged community members for their contributions.

Learn more and join
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Problems

TerryW
Listener

Hi Guys
I have a Asus Vivobook 15 with Windows 10. My problem is that when I use zoom the sound output is always quiet. I have tried adjusting the volume in Zoom and with the Volume Mixer. I have a JBL soundbar plugged into the headphone jack and have also tried headphones, same result. This doesn't happen with other applications. It's driving me crazy as I try to have work zooms and can't hear the other participants.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Zoom but no change.

When I test the different output options it seems to vary as to which one works and if I go back to one that works often it won't. I know that sounds a bit foggy but the whole thing is fogging my mind!
Any ideas would be gratefully received
Terry

2 REPLIES 2

RachelGomez123
Participant

If you are experiencing audio issues in Zoom and have already restarted the application and your computer without success, the following steps provide a guide for how to fix the problem.

1. Check Your Speaker Settings
Zoom Audio Settings Screenshot
If you're in a video conference call in Zoom and no one can hear you, the first thing you should check is that you have Unmuted yourself on Zoom, and that your computer volume is unmuted also.

If you have done both of these things and your audio still isn't working, it could be that your default speakers on Zoom are set to something else. To change this while on the call:

Click the Caret symbol (^) on the Audio button in the bottom left corner of the screen.
Select Audio settings
Under the Speaker section, click the Speaker drop-down menu
Select the speakers that you want to use
Under the same section, you should also click Test speaker to ensure that your audio output is working properly, and that the in-app volume is high enough. If your speakers are faulty, you might need to try using earphones instead.You may also want to check your computer's sound settings, if the problem can't be fixed on Zoom, even if just to rule anything out.

2. Check Your Bluetooth Connection
When using wireless headphones during a Zoom call, make sure you have Bluetooth enabled. To do this, go into your Bluetooth settings on your computer or portable tool and turn on your Bluetooth.

Likewise, you should check that you haven't accidentally connected to another Bluetooth device, and select the device you are currently using.

3. Fixing Echo or Feedback on a Zoom Call
Whether the feedback or echo is coming from you or someone else on the call, there are some simple ways to rectify it, besides muting yourself. It can sometimes be caused when external microphones are detecting sound from your speakers. Moving the microphone away or switching to another audio source might fix this.

Also, if you have multiple devices next to each other while enabling audio, they can interfere with each other's output. Moving these other devices or turning them off could stop the feedback you are receiving on the Zoom call.

Greeting,

Rachel Gomez

TerryW
Listener

Hi Rachel, tried all of that about 100 times LOL. I've just discovered that if I start a meeting without Video the sound is OK. I can then add Video as few seconds later and all seems good. Very strange