cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody else having problem with Logitech webcam with the new update on MacBook Monterey?

RR2
Attendee
126 REPLIES 126

vergetalks
Listener

Experiencing the same issue close to 6 months now.

Temp solution is running LogiTune which is total inconvenience.

Same troubleshooting steps done - uninstall, reinstall...

Check with tech support - still useless.

deregtd
Listener

Anyone on here who hasn’t already opened a support ticket with zoom is unfortunately not helping. These forums are an excuse for zoom to spend less money on actual support, they are not an input to the support process. Every single person in this thread needs to open a ticket and cost them money to get the problem addressed. 

vergetalks
Listener

I opened a ticket

Raised the concern on their LinkedIn page and on Facebook.

Let them be aware.

RR2
Attendee

How do you open a ticket? They just have an update on on Mar. 4 and it nots fixed... I teaching through to zoom and it's really really bad quality...

RR2
Attendee

Also... This is not on the Trending post anymore so...

flujan
Listener

Yeah. 925e here. 

RR2
Attendee

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360050430352-Zoom-Personal-Workspace-Certified-Hardware

This link tells you of what Zoom has approved so far when it comes to webcams. I've ended up buying a new camera since this incident happened for more than 5 months now... Logitech C922 Camera is not on the list. So, probably the best way to do is to sell your camera and buy one of the zoom approved cameras. Thoughts and feelings?

Oh, well ... I just threw my C22 Pro and my computer and got the iMac 24" - problem solved.

Simple and cheap solution 😛

same problem, so tired of settings not saving on EVERY ZOOM call.  How is the C925e not the same  as Logitech C920e (on the list).

RR2
Attendee

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/207347086-Using-Group-HD-video

Another information regarding why HD is disabled

magzoom
Listener

I have the same problem.  Opening Photobooth after starting the meeting worked for me (then continues to work if I quit Photo Booth ... until the next meeting : / ) 

nickv
Listener

I've still got an open support ticket, and have been pinging Zoom weekly. The current status is that they are (still) waiting to get a response from their engineering team who is supposedly working on this issue.

matusp
Listener

I opened a ticket with Zoom support a few weeks back and I just had a call with their engineers to show them the issue and sent them a logs of what's happening on my computer, so hopefully, they will be able to fix it soon.

Bil
Listener

Same issue as everyone else here: monterey, mcbook pro 14 m1 pro, low quality on 922pro, until I launch facetime and then I am in HD for the rest of the meeting. Unbelievable.

This needs a fix for sure...

jkinzel
Listener

I've had the same issues since I got my new MacBook Pro that only has USB-C. I have USB hub and it works great everywhere else but for some reason Zoom doesn't default it to HD. The HD checkbox is also disabled in my client (though in the web interface I've enabled HD video). I'm on Big Sur right on a 2019 MBP. The LogiTune seems to get Zoom to recognize the proper format but without it, the cam is stuck in a 4:3 setting (only in Zoom). 

gennaria
Listener

I think Zoom has given up on this problem. I got this reply today from the ticket I had open.

I have bad news. So after investigation of this issue. We have found that the issue is that there is something wrong with the 720P of these Logitech cameras on Mac OS Monterey.
We can’t fix the issue on zoom’s side. And we may advise you to ask for the support of Logitech or use full HD (1080p) or continue to simultaneously open Logitune while using Zoom as a work-around solution.

I am sorry to have to give you this bad news.
We did a lot of work on this and to find that we can't fix it is very disappointing on all sides. 

Thanks for posting this response here.

What I wonder about this message is: why is literally EVERY OTHER APP on macOS doing fine and can use the 1080p stream of the camera, displaying a tack sharp image? Obviously every other software developer is doing something different than Zoom if it works fine there. 

It sounds to me like Zoom is, even in HD mode, never requesting the 1080p stream but only the 720p stream. And once you open another app that requests 1080p, the webcam switches over and Zoom can handle it fine. So my question: why can't zoom just give me the option to request a 1080p stream (or automatically do this when HD is selected), as clearly every other app can do this already? 

anwickes
Listener

I'm so glad I bought this camera SPECIFICALLY to use in Zoom meetings that i'm in all day. I absolutely love entering the room looking like a blurry potato until I open another, better app, which finally triggers my camera to work properly. I especially love having to repeat this process every time i move among the breakout rooms.

And just like Homer, the magical man from Happyland in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane..... I'm being sarcastic!

jkinzel
Listener

For those having this issue, LogiTune seems to be the best application I've found to help here. You still have to open it for Zoom to detect the proper format coming from the camera but I've got the clearest picture using LogiTune versus others. 

usery
Listener

+1, I am having the same issue for 2 years now

usery
Listener

5.10.7 - still issue was not solved, raised a ticket

Firescribe
Listener

Same issue as all y'all with the added issue that I can only zoom my camera to one fixed place and back out, and every time I go off-screen it reverts back and I have to manually go back to LogiTune and click on the settings tab and back into the video tab to get it to re-engage and focus.

Does anyone here use or switch to a Brio and have it work fine?

Watermoore
Listener

I am having these issues as well. The problem as far as I can tell,  toggling the "HD"  radio button in video settings triggers a non-native resolution from the C922 webcam. 

I can confirm that using the Logi Capture app allows the user to force the camera into the native resolution and it looks much better. Changing the zoom meeting overrides the Logitech Capture settings forcing the user to go back to the capture app and toggle the setting.

Very annoying to have a nice webcam and have to go through this much hoop jumping to get it to look right in so many other apps.  

deregtd
Listener

After dealing with this for 6+ months, I gave up and bought a Kiyo Pro webcam.  It's better in every way than the logitech cam, and works out of the box with an M1 mac.  Logitune uninstalled!

Firescribe
Listener

I spent extensive time talking with Logitech, including a Zoom meeting with one of their high level techs. We concluded there is a problem between Logitech cameras and software with the Monterey operating system. They don't play nice with each other and requires constant Logitune or Facetime triggering to activate the HD capability so it will properly focus. To fix the problem, Logitech and Apple need to come together. They also have a problem with the Brio not streaming in 4K. 

I relayed the massive frustrations expressed from this community and how this is severely affecting Logitech's reputation. The tech notated everything and is raising the issue with whoever is in charge of working out these conflicts so it will get higher priority.

All in all, it is not a Zoom problem. There are two Logitech cameras named in their compatibility list, one being the Brio, but I don't know if that takes into consideration the HD functionality problems with Monterey.

The only workaround right now is to keep Logitune or Facetime open to activate focus and zoom, and keep reselecting the video tab after you click off your camera and turn it back on because that makes the picture revert back to unfocused and zoomed out. The tech is aware of that problem too.

DavidWessel
Listener

I have Monterey version 12.4, Zoom version 5.10.4, Logitech camera 930e.  I had frustratingly free flickering when in HD model.  I had lots of back and forth with Zoom customer support, sent them several logs, got several suggestions that didn't cure the problem.  But eventually they updated the Zoom app and the problem has -- thankfully -- disappeared. I have accepted the view as it shows up and haven't played with Logitune. 

xtj7
Listener

I can't believe this is still a problem. It's been since October 2021. Every other app on Mac works fine with the webcam. I can Skype. I can WhatsApp. I can use Teams. But Zoom just does not even try to get a 1080p stream. Just add an option to initialise the cam in 1080p, how hard can that be? Every other app does that just fine. Using this clunky workaround of starting FaceTime whenever I need to be in a Zoom call (which I do need a lot) is a complete waste of time and a major nuisance. 

I get it, Monterey screwed something up for you, that happens. But we obviously know the issue (initialising the webcam in 720p instead of 1080p) and you have done nothing to fix it in 10 months.

ComplianceGuy
Listener

Mac Mini M1, LogiTech 922.

I had this issue before Monterey, and on multiple versions of LogiTune. On my system (now Monterey 12.4), the LogiTune settings only appeared in Zoom after starting video and then clicking on LogiTune and re-selecting the 922, same as many others here. Also, LogiTune would only zoom a little bit, not all the way over on the slider.

Other video apps (FaceTime, Photo Booth) never even saw the LogiTune settings at all. I found a couple of reviews that suggested LogiTune only works fully in iOS, and only sorta in Mac OS.

I did open a support ticket, and Zoom came through with a bunch of suggestions to twiddle different video settings, all of which I had tried repeatedly.

Per a suggestion in another thread, I got an Elgato Facecam, and it works like a dream with their Camera Hub software, that is explicitly written for Mac (though still in Intel mode, not Silicon). 

I concluded that the problem is LogiTune/Logitech, and the 922 is now unplugged sitting on my desk.

(I use a Logitech 920 on MacBook Air (2020), Monterey 12.4, no issues, but I'm not trying to run LogiTune)

joncrane
Listener

I thought I was crazy until I found this thread. My Logitech Brio in Zoom is green and scrambled. if I open the Logi Tune app, the quality is significantly better but I am noticing some video stuttering. I'm bummed because this worked perfectly for a really long time, and then I updated to Monterey... It all went downhill. I really don't want to have to buy another camera...

raveen
Listener

Just check after turning off the video effect in Mac OS Monterey. It worked for me.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/facetime/fctm81f99179/mac

Confirmed fix for me on Brio!

920 still needs Logi Tune : /

Mine was already off. No fix for my 925e.

RR2
Attendee

It's sad that it's almost a year since I posted this problem and nothing has changed...

lygilman
Listener

Reiterating that since upgrading my MacBook to Monterey my Logitech c922 camera is blurry. It was crystal clear before the update. Running LogiTune but not making any difference. 

Vacek
Listener

I am experiencing the same issue with a C922 ... Just upgrade to OS Ventura and blurry. Opening LogiTune after starting ZOOM, and clicking on my camera makes it jump and instantly gets clear.

I need to do this EVERY time I start a new meeting ... which is 10-20 times a day.

Come on ZOOM ... what else do you need to know, you need an update?

natenut12
Listener

I had a problem with my webcam during a meeting about windows replacement Utah. But after laptop was updated, the issue was resolved.

unixfun
Listener

Just bought a nice Logitech Webcam to be surprised by this issue.  I sit on 5-8 hours of Zooms a day so the workaround does fix the issue but like others mentioned - temporarily (have to reset for every zoom).  Painful. 

I'm running Ventura 13.1 with a fully paid out enterprise "everything enabled including HD" account and the problem is still occurring.  FYI.

CoopATX
Listener

Here we are 2023, and the issue still exists with c922 on mac ventura.

Zoom video starts out poor quality / non-HD.  The HD checkbox makes no difference.  I load up any other software that uses the camera (such as google meet or any of the logitech software) and run it the same time as Zoom and instantly the camera quality is good.  If I plug into the same docking station with PC the issue doesnt exist.  Its only a Mac issue and only a zoom issue.  

tjl24
Listener

OK, we all know the workaround by now and Zoom has apparently no interest in fixing it. Here is an AppleScript that checks every 5 seconds for an active zoom meeting and starts another app (in my case CameraController, but you could do FaceTime instead if you do not want to install that app) when a zoom meeting is in progress, then hides the window and finally stops the app once the zoom call ends. That way you don't need to do anything manually at least. Been using that for a couple of days now and it works quite reliable.

repeat
	tell application "System Events"
		if exists (window "Zoom Meeting" of process "zoom.us") then
			if not (exists (window 1 of process "CameraController")) then
				tell application "CameraController" to activate
				set visible of application process "CameraController" to false
			end if
		else if (exists (window 1 of process "CameraController")) then
			tell application "CameraController" to quit
		end if
	end tell
	delay 5
end repeat

Just start Script Editor, paste the code (replace all "CameraController" strings with "FaceTime" if you wish to use that) and press start. Now you can minimise the Script Editor and enjoy the automation. You can save the script somewhere for next time when you restart as well.

If you want even more automation, instead of saving it as a script, you can save it as an application (just switch the File Format dropdown to "Application") and then you can add it to your login items so it will start automatically once your computer starts.