cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android - 'None' option for Virtual Background always defaults to an image

JB76
Listener

Hello,

I recently experienced an embarrassing situation when joining a Zoom video conference call with an inappropriate virtual background image shown to other zoom session participants. When I tried to change my Video virtual background image to 'None', the inappropriate image still displayed behind my live video. I am running Android Zoom version 5.9.1 (build 3642) on a Galaxy S10 - Sense UI 3.1 and the option to change my Virtual Video background image is under Settings -->  Background and Filters --> Backgrounds. When I chose 'None' for the background image, the image loaded was still the inappropriate image instead of <no image>!

Upon further testing, if I chose a new image, this image now becomes the default 'None' image and I can't change the image until I select another image which if I didn't have another appropriate image to choose, would be extremely embarrassing for myself and others that join a Zoom call . This is a ripe opening for anyone with access to my or other Zoom users' mobile Android devices to change this setting without the user's knowledge and with no method to set a 'None' (no image) option.

NOTE: I also attempted to remove this inappropriate image by clearing app cache and data on my Android device but the 'None' image still appeared when joining a Zoom video call. I also uninstalled the Zoom app. from my phone and reinstalled/restarted my phone but the 'None' image still appeared when joining a Zoom video call. Only after setting a different background image did my 'None' background picture option change/persist.

Please investigate/fix this as soon as possible as I will not use the Video option in my Zoom Android client until this is fixed.

5 REPLIES 5

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @JB76, as to what you're experiencing this isn't really the functionality of Zoom when switching virtual backgrounds as None should display no background, and uploading an image to your VB on your Device will switch if tapped on.

This is where Virtual backgrounds on Android are located by tapping on the . . . more --> Virtual Background --> and you'll see something like this.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

Hello - I tried this setting and 'None' still had the inappropriate image. Is this virtual background being overwritten by an external setting in Android? I noticed the Sense UI on my Samsung phone has a Video call effects setting with the Zoom app. listed as available to use with this setting? 

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @JB76, I see that Sense UI modifies many aspects of the Android user experience which may be taking effect on your Zoom experience. Would suggest removing the UI and retesting what you're experiencing on the original OS of Android 9 (Pie) I believe (going to have to remind me the latest version of Android) 🙂

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Thank you - I cannot downgrade my phone OS to Android 9 to downgrade Sense UI. May be good to have a warning to Samsung users in the Play store that Sense UI will interfere with Zoom?

Thanks.

John

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @JB76 because we only support Android and not the APK Sense UI as it modifies the original state and functionality, which may be what you're experiencing. You can look into our System requirements for Android

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his