cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative Host unable to join

mmgonzalez
Listener

My co-host was unable to login and received the message "host cannot join the meeting." They ended up having to sign in through another account. Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @Stacy8 @mmgonzalez thank you for both of your replies! If you haven't already suggest the Host, alternative host, and co-hosts to look into the Roles in a meeting KB article. The Host is the one that assigns Co-hosts and alternative hosts, so I could double-check your role and the assignment from the host.

• Co-hosts: Shares most of the controls that hosts have, allowing the co-host to manage the administrative side of the meeting, such as managing attendees. The host must assign a co-host during the meeting (so the host will need to start the meeting and be in the meeting before doing this) Co-hosts cannot start a meeting. If a host needs someone else to start the meeting, they can assign an alternative host.
  • Alternative hosts: Shares the same controls as co-hosts, but can also start the meeting. Hosts can assign alternative hosts when they schedule a meeting.
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @mmgonzalez, welcome to the community! It's been some time since you've posted this but are you referring to co-host or alternative host? Both are a little different.

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Hello, RN! Our staff in our organization is frequently experiencing the same issue. The person was assigned as co-host for the meeting. Before the meeting started, the co-host tried to log into Zoom. She received a message saying that she was not listed as a co-host. Then she tried to log in to the meeting using the link in her Outlook calendar and it wouldn't allow her in because it said she was a co-host. I want to understand how to correctly assign a co-host and to also understand clearly how to troubleshoot if this should happen again.

Thank you!

I believe alternative host. Thanks.

Stacy8
Listener

One more thing... I also would like to better understand when you should assign someone as a co-host and when it is best to assign someone as an alternate host. I think this may be where our org is experiencing some confusion.

Thanks again for any help you can provide!

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @Stacy8 @mmgonzalez thank you for both of your replies! If you haven't already suggest the Host, alternative host, and co-hosts to look into the Roles in a meeting KB article. The Host is the one that assigns Co-hosts and alternative hosts, so I could double-check your role and the assignment from the host.

• Co-hosts: Shares most of the controls that hosts have, allowing the co-host to manage the administrative side of the meeting, such as managing attendees. The host must assign a co-host during the meeting (so the host will need to start the meeting and be in the meeting before doing this) Co-hosts cannot start a meeting. If a host needs someone else to start the meeting, they can assign an alternative host.
  • Alternative hosts: Shares the same controls as co-hosts, but can also start the meeting. Hosts can assign alternative hosts when they schedule a meeting.
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

EH2
Listener

We have Alternative Hosts assigned to many meetings. In the last couple of meetings those Alternative Hosts have not been able to join the meeting.  They were only able to join by registering using their personal e-mail address.  This is new behavior for the software.

EH2, were you able to find a solution to your issue? We experienced that same issue today - I had three people from my organization's account assigned as alternative hosts to a meeting, and all three had trouble joining. I had the meeting running already with participants in the waiting room, and all three of my alternative hosts said that when they clicked the link to join the session, they saw something spinning and nothing else was happening. I'd love to figure out how to avoid this from happening again - we have a similar meeting scheduled tomorrow. 😞

JustCitizens
Listener

@RN I'm facing the same issue in Feb 2024. Please get Zoom to provide a clear answer/workaround this. The KB article I can't emphasise enough - *does not help*.

There's clearly a bug that needs to be fixed. My alt host also cannot join the meeting after I've started it. They tried to join using the link Zoom emailed them as the alternative host. They were told that they need to be logged in (they were already logged in their licensed zoom account which is also on the same account - our IT person has confirmed this)

My alt host had to ninja last min and register as a guest, received a unique link, and then jump on. It's VERY stressful for meeting organisers. 

Please please please explain why this is happening, what we should do when this happens (alt host log in through zoom web portal?), and what can we do for the alt host to function normally.

Thanks

Hey @JustCitizens Is the user associated with the Zoom account that you're attempting to invite as an alternative host? Both users must be licensed and use the same account. When an alternative host is invited to the meeting and scheduled from the Alternative host field, they will be sent a unique link to join the meeting.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 9.11.44 AM.png

The best way I can think of to resolve this is to contact Zoom Support and have them investigate the specific Meeting ID you're having problems with. When creating a ticket, they will usually request meeting details to further investigate. 

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his