cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allowing only some meeting attendees to screen share?

mbishop
Listener

If there a way I can set up my meeting so that a certain group of attendees are able to log-in and immediately have screen sharing privileges?  Say we're having a meeting with 100 attendees, and 10 of them will be sharing their screens at some point during the meeting, I don't want to have to search through my participant list of 100 people to find the people who need to share and set them all to co-hosts.  And in my example, I can't even make sure to set all of the co-hosts at the beginning of the meeting because some of them will be logging in after the meeting has started as they only need to be there for their portion of the meeting, so now I'm having to continually monitor the participant list and make sure I find all of the people as they log in and turn them all into co-hosts.  This is extremely chaotic when you have a long list of attendees to look through.  Please help!

4 REPLIES 4

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @mbishop 

I do not think there is a way to do this specifically - but it would be a very useful feature! I would suggest you submit a Feedback form. https://zoom.us/feed

However - there may be a couple of workarounds:

You could pass Host to the first Presenter so they could screen share, then have them pass it to the next Presenter, and so on - while you retain Co-Host. Like passing the baton. You could reclaim Host if anything went wrong.

You could use Focus Mode. You'd effectively allow everyone to share screen, but using Focus Mode you'd have control of what screen shares your Participants would actually see, and when. 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360061113751-Focus-mode-

The other way could be to use Webinar instead.  You could then pre-invite your Presenters as Panelists with screen sharing abilities. Then your other Participants would stay only as Attendees. 

https://explore.zoom.us/en/products/webinar/

Hope this helps.

Rupert

Unfortunately, that won't work.  We have many presenters coming and going throughout the meeting, going into different breakout rooms etc, so it's more complicated than just passing the privileges from one presenter to the next.

We also can't use webinar because then the attendees can't see each other and have discussions and webinar doesn't allow for breakout rooms.

Bri
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @mbishop, thanks for using the Zoom Community to ask your question! I have a follow-up question. Are you using Zoom meetings or Zoom webinars? If you're using meetings, participants can have the ability to share their screens without being assigned as co-hosts. 

Bri
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

We're using meetings, but I don't want ALL the participants to be able to share their screens.  I only want the presenters to be able to share their screens.  We're having a large meeting, and I only want the presenters (who will be coming and going throughout the meeting) to be able to act as co-hosts and share their screens.

I guess I could give all participants the right to share their screens and just hope that no one Zoom bombs one of the presenters while they are presenting, but I'd be concerned that someone might accidentally or on purpose interrupt one of the presenters by sharing their screen.

Alternatively, it would be so great if people that I assign as alternative hosts could have the ability to assign attendees as co-hosts.  I know that alternative hosts are able to do this, but they are ONLY able to do this if the main host (myself) is not at the meeting.  Once I enter the meeting as the main host, the alternative host loses the ability to assign co-hosts.  I wish I could assign multiple alternative hosts prior to the meeting starting, so that these people could help me keep order with all of our presenters.

Or, better yet, if I could just assign a select group of people as either co-hosts or screen sharers (prior to the start of the meeting) then I could avoid all of this confusion during the meeting by setting it up before hand.  Similar to how I am setting up our breakout rooms prior to the start of the meeting, rather than having to scramble and set them up and name them once the meeting has started.

As a "work around,: I'm having the presenters use the raise hand feature when they enter the meeting, so that will at least pull them  to the op of the participant list and make them easier to find.