cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AirPods Won't Work In ZOOM

RockiesWoman
Listener

I have tried all ZOOM troubleshooting and I have called Apple, however, my AirPods won't connect to ZOOM meetings.  They connect on EVERYTHING else on my MAC and work great, but I need them in use for my ZOOM meetings and they WILL NOT CONNECT even though it shows chosen microphone AirPods, etc.  Any ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Jing
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi RockiesWoman

Thank you for sharing your issue.

Could double check your bluetooth device during the Zoom Meeting?

I have my screenshot that shows my Airpods connected the meeting without issue.

If you choose the correct device during the meeting it will work.

Jing_0-1676879722259.png

Please double check again.

Jing

View solution in original post

Jing

Hi RockiesWoman

Can you try it from your mobile device like iPhone?

If you can use it from the iPhone with Airpods, we can find it is not Airpods issue.

Or can you try another pc which can connect your Airpods too.

If it works, we can know it may be the current PC issue.

Please troubleshoot it again.

Thanks,

Jing 

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42

Jing

Hi RockiesWoman

Thank you for sharing your issue.

Could double check your bluetooth device during the Zoom Meeting?

I have my screenshot that shows my Airpods connected the meeting without issue.

If you choose the correct device during the meeting it will work.

Jing_0-1676879722259.png

Please double check again.

Jing

Hello Jing,

Thank you for the suggestion but it did not work, nothing works that I have tried.  Additionally below two people are having the exact same issue.

Jing

Hi RockiesWoman

Can you try it from your mobile device like iPhone?

If you can use it from the iPhone with Airpods, we can find it is not Airpods issue.

Or can you try another pc which can connect your Airpods too.

If it works, we can know it may be the current PC issue.

Please troubleshoot it again.

Thanks,

Jing 

The key here is to not mess with the Bluetooth settings for the MacBook, but within Zoom preferences, audio, as Jing has shared here in the image. 

gingub
Listener

I am having the exact same issue - i have done all the troubleshooting, tested on two different pairs of airpods. airpods work for all other things on computer, they work in audio testing within zoom, they show as connected under audio pull down for meeting - but the minute the meeting starts - they will not work - they are saying that zoom is using the airpods in the pulldown you show above as well - neither input or output work.  Apple says it  should be looked up as a zoom issue - any new advise?

No one has helped me yet.  I cannot figure it out.  I hope you find the solution as well.

Sorry gingub, I have tried everything and nothing works and same here....Apple says it should be looked up as a ZOOM issue.  I cannot use my AirPods at all with ZOOM.

lindakan
Listener

same problem with me, have u settled the problem, can teach me ?

Sorry lindakan, nothing I have tried works and I still cannot utilize my AirPods with ZOOM.

willjoe2442
Participant

How to troubleshoot AirPods not working with Zoom
Test audio settings in Zoom. ...
Stop all other music or audio. ...
Disconnect Bluetooth headphones from all other devices. ...
Unpair and repair AirPods to your device. ...
Reset AirPods.
Connect to a different headset (USB recommended)
Additional support.

Regards,

Will

gingub
Listener

mine finally like magic connected - but prior to that i found if i connected my input to headphones and output to computer or screen they worked - not as effective if you have to do a lot of talking but got me through some meetings

KristenEwer
Listener

I have a similar trouble.  The first two months I had my Airpods they connected and stayed connected fine with Zoom.  About 2 months ago, they started dropping during Zoom meetings only, and have poor sound quality.  My bluetooth headset doesn't have this problem, and my Airpods (pro gen 2) connect fine to everything else on my computer or phone.  It's embarrassing to be in a meeting and all of a sudden not be able to communicate.  

Zoom, can you please fix this issue?  In researching what was happening and trying to figure out how to fix it, it looks like it's been a problem since 2021 with Airpods specifically with Zoom.  Please help!!!

Mhuhta
Listener

I have also not been able to connect my Airpods for the last several weeks. Disconnected all other devices and reset airpods, They are working on other platforms in Windows just not Zoom.

leerudd
Listener

I have the same issue where my airpods don't work regularly with zoom.  They will work with every other application just fine with no issues.  Do we know when Zoom will fix this bug (or do they even recognize they have an bug?)

Tiffanypurple78
Listener

Did anyone find a solution for this?  I am having the same issue.  Airpods working perfectly fine on zoom up until a week ago.  Now they won't connect when I am on zoom calls on my macbook.  They work on all other devices and anything else I use on Macbook.  Only Zoom they won't connect.  I have tried removing Zoom from my laptop and reinstalling.  I have also turned off bluetooth on other devices to see if that works.  I am stuck.  Can anyone help please? 

checkshipment
Listener

tested two different pairs of AirPods. The AirPods function properly for all other computer activities. They work during audio testing within Zoom and appear as connected in the audio settings for the meeting. However, as soon as the meeting begins, they cease to function. Even in the dropdown menu above, Zoom indicates that it is utilizing the AirPods, but both input and output fail to work. According to Apple, this issue should be treated as a problem specific to Zoom. Do you have any new suggestions or advice?

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi everyone,

i suggest Run CleanZoom to remove Zoom completely and then do a fresh install.

To remove Zoom completely, including any configuration files, run CleanZoom on your device.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the Zoom application – Zoom Support

thanks,  eliot

I removed and cleaned the zoom from my desktop. What next?

mjf82
Listener

I am having the same issue.  I am on my 3rd new pair of airpods that will not work with zoom.  They work on every other device including windows.  My old pair will connect only with the left airpod however, I'm told that I can barely be heard.  I have taken all of the steps and more including returning 2 pairs of new airpods thinking that they are defective.  I use my airpods all day for work meetings.  At least I use to do that.  I bought the airpods primarily for zoom meetings.  Can this PLEASE be fixed.  There is a zoom bug.

Sue65
Listener

I also am having the same problem.  About 2 weeks ago AirPods stopped working with Zoom meetings.  Never had this issue before.  I’ve tried all the suggestions to no avail.  Really frustrating!  It’s not the AirPods as they work fine with everything else, just not Zoom.  Sure hope they get this resolved.  I’m on windows on a pc.

AthanZLi
Listener

Same problem here. Airpods works well on ANYTHING ELSE except while during a zoom meeting. For example, when I have  music playing on my PC, it works file. However, when I enter a zoom meeting, all the sound including the music and everything on my PC becomes silenced. When I leave the meeting, the sound all comes back again.

I'm sure both my system settings and zoom settings are correctly configured for utilizing my airpods.

afischioni
Listener

I’m having the same problem. Troubleshooting has not worked. It’s very frustrating. I can’t believe Zoom hasn’t fixed this as it appears this problem is not uncommon. 

Eliot

hi afischioni,

Zoom support article on Bluetooth headphones may help fix the airpods issues.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/12610836866317-Using-Bluetooth-headphones-with-Zoom

Did my response answer your question? If so, please don't forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution.

thanks,  eliot

MikeM1
Listener

No, it didn't.

Sterlingbutters
Listener

Same issue here. Audio output works to AirPods but Zoom is unable to use the AirPods microphone. Any attempts to change audio settings inside or outside of a meeting cause the application to hang - completely ceasing interactivity with the GUI. Zoom is useless

Valor
Listener

This worked for me: 

1. After connecting your headphones with your computer, join or start a meeting.
  2. If prompted, click Join with Computer Audio.
  3. In the meeting controls toolbar, next to Mute/Unmute, click the arrow icon.
  4. Below Select a Microphone, select your headphones.
  5. Below Select a Speaker, select your headphones.
    Note: If your headphones are not listed here, they may not currently be connected to your computer.

Using Bluetooth headphones with Zoom - Zoom Support

I have tried that months ago and it didn't work, but thank you for responding.

sgmorgan
Listener

Zoom - how many hundreds (thousands?) of users need to report this problem for it to be prioritized as a fix? It's clearly a Zoom bug. The same pattern plays out: people have no issues using their Air Pods through a laptop or desktop in Zoom meetings, then suddenly after months or years of success, it's just not working properly. I can report the same set of details as everyone else on this chain: yes I have tried doing a hard forget/reconnect of my Air Pods to my laptop; yes I have tried resetting my Air Pods; yes, I have selected Air Pods from the list of audio devices in Zoom for both microphone and speakers; yes, those options remain selected (even when the functions are not working); and yes, often everything works fine for the first few minutes of the meeting and then I lose microphone and/or speakers even while my Air Pods remain selected in Zoom and are connected to my laptop. Oh, and yes: my Air Pods work for every other function on my laptop. 

Sterlingbutters
Listener

So maybe this won’t work for everyone but I’ve noticed that I can get the audio to work with my AirPods if I manually open the zoom.us application and navigate to Preferences > Audio and configure my AirPods for speaker/microphone. Then I have to join a meeting with the meeting ID. That is, you can’t join any zoom meeting with a link/shortcut and it works. Makes no sense to me but this is how I got it working.

wow I can't believe you can make it work through that flow. but this should be exactly what zoom is leveraging to understand this massive bug. 

emilyej
Listener

I have had this problem for months. I have a fix! Every time I have a zoom I have to do this because it auto-defaults back to not working.

Zoom --> preferences --> audio --> Speaker 

There is a dropdown here. next to Test Speaker button. My first option is "same as system Emily's AirPods" - would never connect. ever. very frustrating. Underneath that in the list is simply "Emily's AirPods" (not with same as system). When I click that option, it works. every time. Just figured this out this week and have been having successful Zoom audio with airpods since. I hope this works for you.

Jing has the same solution. It really does work. make sure you are not "Same as system"

also I set my microphone similarly to "Emily's AirPods" and not "Same as system Emily's AirPods" 

Thank you! I did notice that there are sometimes up to 3 different Airpods-related options in the drop-down, including the "same as system", "headset (airpods)" and "headphones (airpods)". I'll steer clear of the "same as system" option and have also just determined that "headphones" causes problems. Here's hoping that sticking with "headset" solves the problem. Oddly, I didn't used to see all these options: it was just Sarah's airpods....

Ok I just did this and it worked. How convoluted. @Zoom - fix your $***! Use this workaround to understand the bug. 

open services.msc . check the services that start with bluetooth .. start all of them .. you should be good to go ..

MikeM1
Listener

I've tried every suggestion on here and none of them have worked. ZOOM, when are you going to log defect and actually address this?

open services.msc . check the services that start with bluetooth .. start all of them .. you should be good to go .

Brittany218
Listener

I've been having the same issues. My airpods were working fine for a 6+ months and now will not connect. I too have tried all suggestions above. I do not have any other issues with these headphones connecting.