cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9 Minutes

terrys
Listener

Hello everyone! I have a question... lately when a meeting ends (with basic profile) tells me that I HAVE TO WAIT 9 MINUTES to start a new one, unless I switch to the paid one...

To others, however, (always basic profile) it does not happen.How come? How can I fix this?
Or with the new update is it just like that?Thank you!!

11 REPLIES 11

HW96
Listener

Hi. I am getting the same problem and despite examining all FAQs can find no mention of it. I thought  would answer (even though I can't help) as hopefully, this will flag something to the powers that be at zoom.

DavidH72
Listener

Mine started doing this yesterday!  If it keeps doing it, I'll have to move over to a different platform!

ebflutterby
Listener

The 9 minute rule happened to me for the first time today, July 10, 2023. This is so disappointing because I tutor special needs students through a grant program and they don't provide an online platform.  I have been using free zoom since the pandemic and it keeps getting less and less but even worse without any notice. My special needs students grew accustom to having to log in again after 40 minutes just to finish our our 1 hour or 2 hour one-to-one session.  But today I was unable to restart the tutoring session for 9 minutes.  My student's feelings were completely destroyed thinking I left and didn't want to come back.  The student didn't want to return after the lockout. I wonder if my student will ever want to return again after this shock.  I understand that I get what I pay for...Free! However advanced notice of these changes should be required by zoom as they are a professional company. I am not a big company that has all the needs of the paid access subscription.  I don't use zoom all year long nor do I use it several times a day or all week. I really enjoyed the unlimited one-to-one access that we had during the pandemic for us small time users.  I like that I can share worksheets that both the student and I can see and write on.  I like that the student and I can see and hear each other.  I like having the whiteboard option for an occasional question or to explain something not on the worksheets.  I like being able to use the same meeting ID and password. I like being able to schedule meetings in advance. However I am completely disappointed with the way Zoom makes changes and does not give us advanced warning.  It is like a sells technique/tactic to get you to desperately upgrade in the moment to be able to get back to your meeting.  Its a shame that zoom does not care about its participants or even think about the children that are affected by this.  I understand big businesses should pay to mass produce meetings and make money off of it.  But will zoom consider the non-profits or the teachers/tutors who are just trying to make a difference in the life of a child.  Will zoom consider who they are disappointing when they authorize these changes. Zoom may have discouraged a child from ever wanting to learn again all because they are greedy for money. Please consider a one-to-one unlimited zoom time for basic users.  We are out here trying to make a difference not trying to make money. 

My sentiments precisely!  It happened to me for the first time today.  Thanks to Zoom it has potential damaged my reputation on account of a terrible experience with a new student.

HW96
Listener
Yes it’s very unfair , when all we want is a whiteboard and an hour. I earn around £100 a week tutoring and was very reluctant to pay for the platform. 

In the end I got an introductory discount and after a very stressful process signed up and paid just over £100 (if I recall)

I have to say, it’s been worth it-
if only because I’m now spared the stress you so ably described in your message.

Shame on you ZOOM for charging those of us who run tiny businesses the same as a multimillion pound organisation.

HW

Pau08
Listener

without warning I was surprised by the 9 minutes rule! I only use zoom 2 times a week; I can't pay that much for something I don't use so often! I'll be switching to some other platform. It's really a pitty since I am a pre pandemic user!! 

HW96
Listener

Interesting to note that there is absolutely no response or explanation from Zoom. This shows that people like us are of absolutely no interest/value to them. 

Pau08
Listener

Hi!! You're absolutely right!!! They don't even care!

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reaching out using the Zoom Community.  I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the recent change in Zoom's free account settings. We understand how important it is for you to have uninterrupted sessions, and we apologize for any inconvenience caused by the recent changes to our free Zoom plan.

At Zoom, we constantly strive to improve our services and cater to the diverse needs of our users. As part of this ongoing effort, we occasionally make updates to our plans to provide a sustainable and reliable platform for everyone. We hear your concerns about the lack of advanced notice, and we will take this feedback into consideration for future updates.

While the wait time between meetings is not an error but a limitation of the free basic meetings on Zoom, I would recommend upgrading to Zoom One Pro. By doing so, you'll be able to enjoy the flexibility of hosting unlimited back-to-back meetings without any breaks, ensuring a smooth and professional experience for both you and your clients. As a gesture of appreciation for your utilization of Zoom, I'm pleased to offer you a special discount of 50% off your first 2 months of Zoom One Pro. Additionally, you'll receive 1 year of unlimited Whiteboard usage on us. Terms apply. Get offer. 

Disclaimer:
This offer is only available to new customers purchasing a Pro Monthly Plan Online. This offer is not available to customers with pre-existing discounts. Maximum of 9 Monthly or Annual Licenses per Purchase. This coupon has no cash value and can only be used for up to 9 Pro Monthly or Pro Annual Licenses.

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Carla, my main complaint is that you are charging so much for users like me who only use the platform a few hours each week- in my case around 4 on a one to one basis only.

I am semi retired and charging £15 an hour and yet I have been forced to pay the same fee  as a multi-million pound company holding meetings with 100 people. 

I am not interested in the bells and whistles of your platform. All I require is a whiteboard and the ability to share my desktop. 

Why don’t you introduce a low user-one to one tariff instead of ripping us off by charging for time and tools we don’t use/need? Then you might gain even more custom instead of this highly deserved criticism.

They are stealthily rolling out these changes staggered in time and space so that they don't get a groundswell of negative reactions. I got the same sudden request to pay for the Pro version today, with no warning, in the middle of a lesson with a new student. I had to call off the meeting and take responsibility, obviously I'm not passing this on to the client. This conduct says a lot about the company.