cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40 minutes limit

iiTamy
Listener

Why is my meeting ending after 40 minutes and there’s only me (host) and 1 participant? I thought it would end if there’s more than 2 participants.

18 REPLIES 18

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

New rules went into effect today  Most Free accounts got an email in the last week or so offering a discounted upgrade to Zoom Pro as part of the announcement. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Hi Ray, 

Is there a Zoom Support article on this change to the Basic plan? As of today, according to all Plans & Pricing information, the Basic plan still allows unlimited meeting time for less than 3 participants. I did not receive any emails about any changes to the basic plan.

Kind regards, 
Chloe

If they think this will motivate me to "upgrade" to a subscription I don't need and will never use, they are mistaken.

Same

I’m just using the other Apps that I had saved in case Zoom died one day and with this new update it’s dead to me sadly.

Ray_Harwood

Well... the Zoom web site is vast, and all I can say is that the staff probably missed a place or two.  The only place I could find still in error was the pop-up on Meeting Duration at https://zoom.us/pricing 

Ray_Harwood_0-1651478008359.png

I think the tool-tip is incorrect and misleading anyway.  But I sent a Support Ticket up to the Zoom Support folks to try to get it changed or removed.

Here in the Zoom Community, we're just volunteers trying to help out... with no access to anything and no authority to make someone change something 😉

If you find some other place that has incorrect information, please post the page URL and the incorrect information here, and I'll do what I can to forward to the Zoom staff.  In the meantime -- even if you didn't get the word -- there's plenty of evidence now that Zoom is cutting back on 1:1 meetings on Basic/Free accounts. 

Take a look at this community post for more of my opinion of why this is happening.

Hi Ray,

Yes, this is the same error I spotted as well. As at today, it was still showing unlimited meeting times for less than 3 participants. Thanks for lodging the ticket to correct that.

I appreciate your insights,

Chloe

Ray_Harwood

Thanks, @Alex_PFT  – I was just about to post that link here! 😎

Thanks for the link, Alex_PFT! 🙂

violet1
Listener

I really dislike this new 40 minute limit since I teach 45 minute music lessons.... I have only a handful of students and not every week.  $150 is quite a lot to pay for 5 additional minutes.....

Truth.

I am in the same boat.  45 minute music lessons.  It’s silly how they limited it to 40 instead of 45 minutes as I’m sure they know many people have 45 minute meetings… 

"Silly" isn't the right word.  "Intentionally aggravating" is more like it.  They bloody well know how many users run 45-minute or 1-hour sessions.  They WANT to annoy users in the expectation that they will be worn down enough to pay their ridiculously high subscription fees for services (i.e., multi-user sessions) they don't need.

It won't work, at least not on me.

hecate
Listener

I, too, did not get an email about this and was shocked when my regular Tuesday Zoom meeting (with only one person) ended abruptly after 40 minutes. This is so stupid on the part of Zoom. Investigating other apps to have this meeting on, like Microsoft Teams. Any suggestions for those of us who don't do big meetings and just want to connect with family and friends?

Google Meet. Free to use. I used to coach using Zoom, but can't justify the annual subscription to upgrade so have just shifted to Google. Own goal Zoom.

JustinMangaoang
Listener

I have the same problem. I think it started a few days ago. 

natrose
Listener

Having the same issue with teaching 45 minute lessons where where I had to sign up for a subscription . Somehow I'm on a business plan and getting charged so much! Does anybody know if I can go past 40 min with a pro plan instead? 

Ray_Harwood

Hi, @natrose,

Yes, a Pro account meeting can last up to 30 hours maximum. If you are on the Business Plan as just one person, I highly recommend you contact Zoom Billing and explain your situation, and ask them to assist you in converting back to a Pro plan; they should be able to credit you for the excess charges under most conditions.

Please submit a support ticket to the Zoom Billing team here and they will be able to assist you.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000983032