cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40 minute time limit for Zoom Pro user?

lorraine_shine
Listener

Hi there,

I have a Zoom Pro account. I am due to deliver training to a group via Zoom next week. Today I was practicing delivery on my own on Zoom but got the message "your meeting ended as it was idle after 40 minutes". Why is this and is there any danger that it will happen next week during my training session? Thank you, Lorraine Shine

7 REPLIES 7

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @lorraine_shine 

This may be because, although you purchased a Pro license in your account, you have not assigned that license to your personal profile.

Because you can have multiple users in your account, Zoom does not make an assumption which user you may want to assign that license to.

You need to assign it to yourself. 

Go here https://zoom.us/account/user#/ and "Edit" your own profile. You should be able to set your license type there with the license you have purchased.

Hope this helps.

Rupert

Hi Rupert,

Thank you very much for this. I have checked and the pro license is correctly assigned to my own profile.  At least I know that all is ok with this!

All the best, Lorraine

We had a similar experience.  Had created a couple user accounts (an admin and a member), and used the admin account to host a meeting that timed out after 40 minutes (it wasn't idle).

I suspected the issue had to do with the "type" associated with each account: licensed or basic, so tried first to just set the admin and member accounts to "basic".  Unfortunately, the response was we needed to purchase additional licenses.  Given how small we are and our limited use of Zoom, that made no sense.

What I've learned is that the licensed type can be moved to another user as long as first the user currently assigned the licensed type is set to basic.

The next time we host a meeting, we'll use the member account that has been given the licensed type.  There's no reason for us to host meetings via an owner or admin account.

The reason I'm posting to this thread is to see if I can understand why Zoom set things up this way.  To me it's just not intuitive.

I realize we're a very small user, and Zoom is used by large, complex organizations, so, in those cases, having this procedural requirement might make sense.  Can someone give an example of why an organization might want to restrict which accounts have licensed authority?

I would have thought it that any user created under the license would have the authority to host meetings without time limits.

Thanks

Tom

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

The reason and explanation is right there in the message. Your meeting was idle for 40 minutes, so Zoom closed it automatically. As long as there are others in the session, you will not have the issue. 

Thank you Bort. I did not think that the meeting was idle as I was using different functions such as sharing documents, setting up breakout rooms etc. However as you say maybe the issue is that there was only 1 participant (me) and so the meeting timed out. I really do hope that it is the case that as long as there are others in the session the issue will not occur! Thanks again for your help 🙂

What would make it happen if there was a single other user (they were the co-host)? Would it consider it idle if there were no non-host participants?

AYER
Listener

Is it mean that the Zoom meeting will closed with the 40 min time limit if the meeting has only 1 host and no participant ?