cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40 minute limit on meeting with two participants.

SujalJariha
Listener

I have been using zoom to make personal video calls for a while now. I have a basic plan and the call only have two participants including me. But since a few days I am getting the 40 minute limits on the similar calls.  Please help me resolve it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Alex_PFT
Participant | Zoom Partner

Changes to existing features

1. Free account meeting duration changes
    Starting May 2, 2022, Zoom is changing the meeting duration limit for 1:1 meetings hosted by Basic users on Free and Free (Credit Card Verified) accounts to 40 minutes. This change creates a uniform 40-minute meeting duration limit for all meetings hosted by Basic users on Free and Free (Credit Card Verified) accounts, including group meetings and one-on-one meetings.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

vggsrio
Listener

I'm having the same problem, and it's a shame cause they didn't warn us before doing that. I'm gonna try another meeting app😡

Alex_PFT

Changes to existing features

1. Free account meeting duration changes
    Starting May 2, 2022, Zoom is changing the meeting duration limit for 1:1 meetings hosted by Basic users on Free and Free (Credit Card Verified) accounts to 40 minutes. This change creates a uniform 40-minute meeting duration limit for all meetings hosted by Basic users on Free and Free (Credit Card Verified) accounts, including group meetings and one-on-one meetings.

Thanks for explaining, Alex - but this was not exactly trumpeted from the rooftops, was it?  First I knew of it was when the 1-to-1 lesson I was giving was suddenly curtailed.  As vggsrio says, some warning would have been nice.  I guess the free, unlimited meetings were too good to last, and Zoom has seen us through the most dangerous part of the pandemic, when the ability to work form home was a game changer and Skype simply wasn't up to it.  Now it's payback time! 😌

Yesterday it was limited to 40 minutes, but today I managed to make a one-hour meeting. What for? Have you changed your mind?

How come when I schedule a meeting it is still saying "with 3 or more participants"?

LK27
Listener

I got no warning either. Switched to Google Meet with same functionality for free.

ladybassist
Listener

Thanks for that recommendation! I'm done with Zoom. I was in the middle of my weekly meet with my 85-year-old mom, got a 10-minute warning and then *poof*

Dino_343
Listener

I look at it like this.  I'm able to afford the license, but if I were Zoom, I would definitely take into consideration those in other countries, those who are less fortunate, those who can not afford the license/upgrade. There are many.
The way it was implemented was wrong as well.  All users should have been notified 'well' in advance.  I received no email notification, just the message to upgrade when in a meeting.  I did upgrade to pro, but am now wondering about those who are unable to do so.  
"If" the change was made due to basic users exceeding the limits, the decision of 40 minutes is a bit odd.  Why not one hour.  Or, better yet, 2 hours.  That would be understandable (to me).  But to have made this "dramatic" change with no regard to those unable to pay, this is a very callous decision on the part of Zoom.  ... Unfortunately, this will indeed lead to many vacating Zoom in favor of other platforms.  Is that what Zoom wanted?  For it's bound to happen.  Why would they shoot themselves in the foot?  If it's "for the money", they're living in lala land ...

HealthyYu
Listener

I'm getting the same thing!

HeavenOfSound
Listener

ep, happened to me today too, and as I was not made aware of the change from 3 to only 2 participants ever (neither per email or internal Zoom messae), I am pretty crossed w/Zoom. I had to reinvite evryone again as we went a bit over 50 minutes. Zoom is and acts unfortunately like so many other fast big becoming companies - greedy and hidden agenda not honestly communicated. But hat shady behaviour may fire back. In the fast developing digital community dishonesty and pis... customers of is often not coming around so greatly. Competitiors (like Google meet and others) are around the corner and a change is easily done. So for our company I as CEO will surely look into alternatives now before commiting to a subscription with Zoom.  I think and agree with another commentator here, Zoom may have shot themselves in their own foot.

Leon666
Listener

Zoom is going the Microsoft way -- who cares about the users? We are in charge!