cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transparency and Menu Design are great ways for companies to let customers know how much theyt matte

GottaBeUserFrie
Listener

I was curious about some of the applications.  But before I agree to something, or install something on my computer, or agree to release mhey wery data and choices about something or data about those who join me on a call, I want to know that is.  I don't think walking into a store constitutes an agreement that I will buy something.

There are a lot of apps here.  Some of them describe what they will do for me and why I might want to look into them.  I installed a few thinking they might help.

After several steps on one, I could choose to have a 3-day pass followed by one rate or sign up.  I still wasn't sure how it was going to work.  I only pre-pay for a few things, 

I searched help using phrases that were too complicated: "How do I remove an app?"  "Remove app."  "aaalication remove" and more.  But I must b the first person in Zo0ok history to want to remove an application.  I got help and was sent to another page to remove it.   It forced me to log in again.  Then on clicking the delete, it took me to a question that REQUIRED I give a reason.

I wanted to see others feedback and see if there ere other ways.  I had to a second id/pwd to the community.  And then logging inb (again), I had to create another shorter name.

I think I like the concept of these apps.   But I can't see what I'm getting, what personal information I have to share and what it will cost me without deep dives.  Simple information isn't present. And getting out  required I needed a link from tech support.

I used that link to remove all the apps I was going to look at.

The idea of extending Zoom's features through add-ons is great.  And I think some look like they might meet my needs.  But finding out what they do, what info I'm volunteering to give them and the cost needs to be available to me right at the beginning in one place without my going through installations, etc.  I am certain that some of the developers would feel the same way.  But they will lose out after people investigate the first or second and realize they don't have time to check with them all.

There are two issues here: Transparency and ease of use.  I suspect there may be such a list.  But not available to it when I was on a certain page. I could have searched and if I chose the right words, I might have been ahomework assignment.   

Writing dates back to about 3200 BC.  I'd bet within a short time, someone developed the idea of a written table of contents or list of groceries or outline that showed animals you could eat and those who would eat you. The outline is the mental construct for every menu today.  And with the exception of a few,  outlines (menus) need to be clear to the reader.   That is 95% of making a program usable--I need something---that's what I need to click.  I judge what a company thinks of me and my time by my ability to navigate. 

A great test....it only takes a bit of time for a company to see what customers may think of them: Grab an average person off the street (don't do that....hire a few just for this).  Give them a list of questions such as "What would our software do for you?  How much does it cost?  If that takes more than a minute, you don't want the general public.  You can follow up with 1) Perform this task.   See what questions they had and write them down.  Ask t them their thoughts afterwards. Repeat this a few times. If they can't do basic tasks without reading the manual ,go back to the drawing board.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

colegs
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

I am a little confused about what you mean when you say nobody has signed up for any of the apps.  The Marketplace doesn't list other companies that are using an application, it shows you who on your account has installed the application.  If you approve it but do not install the app, it will indicate nobody has installed it.

Also, the Marketplace does allow you to filter applications by purpose.  While Zoom doesn't develop most of the applications themselves, the vendors are typically either targeting users who are familiar with their product, or providing information on what their apps do for people who are looking for a specific function. 

Our product team is constantly looking for ways to improve the organization and usability, so hopefully there is an update soon that helps address some of your concerns.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

colegs

@GottaBeUserFrie ,

Thank you for your input, and I have passed your post on to people in our product team for their consideration.  I did want to speak to a few of your points, however, to see if they address your concerns, as well as helping you understand what is in the scope of Zoom's control.

When looking to see what an app does, you can take a look at the scopes required in the app to make it run.  For each scope, it will tell you what part of Zoom is impacted (Users, Meetings, Chat, etc.) and if it will have read only (read) or read/write (write) access.  If the scope says "admin" at the end, it is an account wide scope, and would required administrator rights to install and run.

It is important to note that the developer is listed  under the app name, and unless it says "By Zoom", it is developed by another vendor.  While Zoom will verify that the app meets our standards and doesn't contain unnecessary scopes, we are not able to validate that it runs efficiently, or that it is free to use.  Many of the apps in the Marketplace were developed as paid add-ons for products, and therefore may have a cost associated to them.

I will agree that the uninstall process could be a little easier, and that the reason shouldn't necessarily be required.  The good news is that it is only a radio button, and possibly a little text that is not validated, and the information helps Zoom evaluate the apps to understand how they are used and if we can improve the Marketplace.

While it may take some digging, between the overview and the permissions, the goal is to give you an understanding of what the apps do, what data they can see of yours and your guests, and what data can be modified.  It would be nice to have an associated cost clearly displayed, but as mentioned earlier, the apps with costs are associated to other vendors, and Zoom cannot control that.

We will continue to strive to make it easier to find what you want in the Marketplace, and do have the menu for various categories along the side to make it easier to find what you are looking for.  Hopefully, changes we make in the future will improve it even further for you to search and find what you want, and let you know what it is doing in the background.

Thanks.

Looking at the apps you show, is the equivalent of going to the supermarket wearing mittens and a blindfold.   Neither knows what anything costs or what it does.  But at the Supermarket, the person with blindfold and mittens does not sign away all his private information before trying to guess what's in a can.

GottaBeUserFrie
Listener

I went back there yesterday.  Hundreds of apps.   I looked at some to see if they met any needs of mine.  I dug down multiple layers.

I could tell the name of the app.

I could tell what data they looked at.

But I couldn't see what the applications did, or why I would want them, or what they would cost.

I had to agree to the privacy agreements which still didn't answer my questions.

But I did notice something.  None of the apps had any users that I checked.

Here's a catalog.  You get to click on the names and give each of them access to your private information, then, maybe you can see what they do and how much you just agreed to  pay.

Some manager at Zoom put millions into working with companies and setting up platforms.  The people who wrote the apps spent money writing/submitting the app.  And in thinking about users who would sign up and pay for them?  Nah, leave them in the dark.  Make them hunt for the information and not even find it.

Who signs up to install an app, when they first read that they are giving away all of their information to some company and they don't even know what it does, or what they will pay for it?

If the perfect app is there for someone, how much time would they need to click down into hundreds of programs, then go to their website and start searching there?  How many hours would they spend doing this before they were fired?

How long do you think a company lasts when customers don't know what the choices do, why they want them or what they cost?

You've had this for over a month.  I just looked at 25 apps.  No one signed up for a single one of them.  I assume these come from many of the leaders in computing.  What happens when all these leaders discover they wasted resources and got nothing?

colegs

I am a little confused about what you mean when you say nobody has signed up for any of the apps.  The Marketplace doesn't list other companies that are using an application, it shows you who on your account has installed the application.  If you approve it but do not install the app, it will indicate nobody has installed it.

Also, the Marketplace does allow you to filter applications by purpose.  While Zoom doesn't develop most of the applications themselves, the vendors are typically either targeting users who are familiar with their product, or providing information on what their apps do for people who are looking for a specific function. 

Our product team is constantly looking for ways to improve the organization and usability, so hopefully there is an update soon that helps address some of your concerns.

GottaBeUserFrie
Listener

There is a marketing phrase WIIFM.  What's In It For Me?   When I see the lists of Apps.  I don't see features let alone the benefits.  I am looking to see if any of the apps might help me do something faster, more accurately, or sell more,  Perhaps I want a 3 minute game  while I'm adding people to the room.   Listen to my thoughts.

From marketplace.

Oh look.  Games.  I wonder what they do and how much they cost and if they can help me.   ‘

click

Let’s see.   Funtivity. Werewolf Friends. Dive. Team Games.   No idea.. I’ll look at this one  called  gaggle

Click

It shows a picture of someone writing on a white board.

Requirements

Scroll

Permissions

App views my settings, profile and contact information.  That’s confidential.  Why does it need to know that?

App MANAGES Participants, Scheduling and Content.      Hmm.  I’m not sure.  I don’t know the company and am not wiling to give away personal info. 
Scroll

Scope/Developer Resources/Manage

And right there….”No one has installed this app yet.”

I can certainly understand that.  I’m still not sure what this does.  I don’t know the costs.  And I’m opening up all sorts of information to some 3rd company.

Scroll up

Scroll up

Scroll up.

Skeptical Click on button that says Visit Site to Add.
Page that has a picture of a duck and says to click the link below.

You are about to Install Google Party

Repeats everything they can look at and manage

Options to Decline or Authorize.

I still don’t know what it costs.

I don’t know what it does.

If I click this, I turn over all my information to this company.

I think I had to scroll or click 9 times and I know nothing more than before.  With hundreds of applications, I could spend a week here and know no more.

No wonder it says no one has installed.

Now as I said, I did this as a customer.  I forgot my role.  I am supposed to spend all this time and energy just looking at these apps.  My own business isn’t important.  I’m thankful that Zoom provides me with the opportunity to spend hours researching on their web site.  They really understand my needs and respect my time.  A business owner has way too much time on their hands.  It’s so wonderful Zoom gets us to use up all that extra time.

Why not a list, or several lists that show name, what it does, why someone might like it, the price, how long it takex to play (for games), # peopple for games,...;. then separate fields for each category.

Customers can read through the entire list and then dig down into the few apps that interest them. 

Bien esplicadoo 👏