cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom desktop client software stores any temporary files?

idmeyers
Listener

I wanted to inquire about whether Zoom desktop client software stores any temporary files on the local disk when "cloud recording" is enabled by a user. If so, we want to confirm the location of these files so we can ensure they aren't deleted when a user logs off the computer.

7 REPLIES 7

kbrewer
Listener

If you don't have local recording turned on, then video files won't be saved locally, but a chat transcript will be saved for the host.
It will be saved to the "documents" local recording storage location:

• Windows: C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Zoom
  • Mac: /Users/[Username]/Documents/Zoom
  • Linux: home/[Username]/Documents/Zoom

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115004792763-Saving-in-meeting-chat

There is a local location that the Zoom desktop client uses, but I don't see any temporary directories there that would affect cloud recording. If you wanted to test it to verify, you can target these Zoom background file save locations:

• For Mac: HD/Users/username/Library/Application Support/zoomus
  • For Windows: C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Zoom

Tweety
Listener

Where are temporary files stored when zoom is updating? Windows machines

Which temporary files? The .exe file for the client installer? Or do you mean temporary recording video files? If you are using cloud recording, there won't be any local video files.

Tweety
Listener

.exe file for client installer

kbrewer
Listener

That should be the location where the user has their downloads set to.

kmckay83113
Listener

When you file transfer through the chat, does it write any temporary files during the transfer process? Not talking about actually downloading the file to my local PC. Wondering if when the document gets uploaded to the chat and becomes visable to me, are there temporary files written on my local PC prior to me actually downloading the file?

UoPAdmin
Listener

You could try (on Windows) downloading the SysInternals Suite from the MS Store, using the file monitor to see what the client does when and after it is recording.  Am pretty sure it doesn't save anything, but to be sure you should try watching its behaviour!