cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automated captions in French (or any other language than English)?

mathplourde
Attendee

Hi!

Sommaire en Français : Nous voulons les transcriptions automatisées en Français pour des raisons d'accessibilité.

Are there any plans for the automated live transcriptions (or even for recordings) to be available in other languages than English? The Otter.ai integration works really well when the spoken language is English, but we can't use it in our French language University. Accessibility is a major concern for us. 

Also, not to put any pressure on, but MS Teams is about to release live transcription in French soon, so it makes it hard for us to recommend Zoom over MS Teams to our 50K+ user base.

15 REPLIES 15

JT_Lat
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

Yes there are plans, announced at Zoomtopia yesterday.  Should be available by end of this year.

Any chance they were going to try and include bilingual/multilingual captioning for courses where two or more languages are spoken? It's such a pain to auto-caption in English and correct for Spanish.. or vice versa.

-- Scott

Agreed. An auto-detect process would be awesome. We could basically set the spoken languages while planning the meeting so that the transcription service could switch back and forth, or at least do it on the recording.

I would be in Academic BLISS if that were to happen!

-- Scott

mathplourde
Attendee

MS Teams already released automated live captions in French (and a bunch of other languages). The end of the year is getting awfully close. Any news on this update?

mathplourde
Attendee

It is now 2022... Where are we on the automated transcriptions in French? Just a friendly reminder that MS Teams does it quite well and that our annual site license with Zoom is to be renewed in June.

K_____H
Listener

Nous attendons aussi cette mise à jour pour le français!  

We also have this issue and are awaiting the ability to have automatic transcription in French.   I agree that many Teams features are starting to catch up or surpass Zoom at this point.

Freddi_G
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello we are slated to release his capability sometime in Q1 so we are getting close but I do not have a firm date, but definitely soon!

Thanks for the update, @Freddi_G! Looking forward to giving it a spin!

Coach365otop
Listener

Hello. Any update on when the transcription will be available for french language ? 

Brecht
Listener

Hi, is there any news on this front? This functionality would definitely be appreciated.

@Freddi_G Q1 ends in 10 days... Got some good news for us?

Freddi_G

Hello team, sorry I still do not have a firm release date set but I DO know it will be releasing soon. Thats all I have.

If you have an account with a Customer Success Manager, you may be eligible to take part in a possible beta program.

Pls reach out to your Account Rep or CSM!

Hi Freddi,

@Freddi_G 

1) I have seen the auto-transcription feature is now available in French in Zoom. That's a great first step, although the quality of the transcription is not up to par with what MS Teams can do. I assume it will get better with time and will handle the French Canadian dialect more efficiently?

2) One thing I have noticed is that the Cloud recording > Create audio transcript stays in English although French was set as the transcription language during the meeting. Is there any way for the language of the Cloud recording to be set to any other language so we can use that feature?

Freddi_G

Hello For #2 this is not supported today, but you can save the transcript which will include translations but it is not on the recording itself like you said. This looks like it is slated for later this year. No commit date to give yet sorry.