cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Events for Chromebook?

DMcGowan
Listener

Hi Zoom Community,

Wondering if there are updates on how well Chromebooks perform with Zoom events. Many of our clients will have Chromebooks. Does the Chromebook add-on help here at all? 

Thanks in advance,

Deborah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PeteRyan
Listener

Hi Deborah,

I would not run an event using the Chromebook as my platform, especially if it involves sharing screens. Your audio will cut out during the presentation and and will require constant maintenance and checks from the audience to know if they can hear you.  The PWA app does not support many of the presenter functions you may be accustomed to using as a one-to-many presenter. Test the living heck out of it before attempting.  It may be a nightmare, 

I went back to my windows laptop for the sole purpose of hosting Zoom meetings. 

As a client, in a passive mode, the PWA client may be OK for watching the event. You may get some complaints that you are cutting out, but you can then say it's the client's Internet, because they may get messages that indicate the Internet is slow on their end. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TLBainter
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hey, Deborah!

Chromebooks aren't directly supported for Zoom Events, but since they have access to a web browser, some with higher compute capacity may be able to join a Zoom Event. However, this would be the web/browser experience, which won't be the same as the desktop experience.

Attendees on a browser have the following capabilities:

• Attendees can join events on desktop web browsers and mobile web browsers; both desktop and mobile web browsers support the event chat.
  • Attendees on mobile web browsers will be redirected to the Zoom app when joining a session. The Zoom mobile app is needed for joining sessions.
  • Attendees can participate in Q&A, session polls, and surveys.
  • Attendees can rate their experience and share feedback with Zoom Events.
  • Attendees can switch to the Zoom desktop client at any time from the web browser.

You can learn more about joining a Zoom Event from a web browser here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/4404105243405-Joining-Zoom-Events

Hope this answers your question!

T. L.

EvelynF

Hi @DMcGowan 

Just following up on what was mentioned above by @TLBainter 

When joining the lobby on a Chromebook, make sure to select the option "Stay on Web". If you select "Join via Zoom instead" you will receive an error message. 

When joining a session, select the "Join form your browser" when the option pops up. 

Hope this helps! 

PeteRyan
Listener

Hi Deborah,

I would not run an event using the Chromebook as my platform, especially if it involves sharing screens. Your audio will cut out during the presentation and and will require constant maintenance and checks from the audience to know if they can hear you.  The PWA app does not support many of the presenter functions you may be accustomed to using as a one-to-many presenter. Test the living heck out of it before attempting.  It may be a nightmare, 

I went back to my windows laptop for the sole purpose of hosting Zoom meetings. 

As a client, in a passive mode, the PWA client may be OK for watching the event. You may get some complaints that you are cutting out, but you can then say it's the client's Internet, because they may get messages that indicate the Internet is slow on their end. 

DMcGowan
Listener

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate the insight!